Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    The friggen fence that surrounds The Cig now is seen in this from 47 years ago.

Dr. Driscoll...tear down that fence!!!!

I think I saw my shadow in the video. Cool to look back.

Comment

The friggen fence that surrounds The Cig now is seen in this from 47 years ago.

Dr. Driscoll...tear down that fence!!!!

Read my lips - No new fence!

Seriously, upgrading the stadium has got to get a higher priority.

That video is a gem. Great place to be in 1976.

Comment

• Any of yinz going to the Taxidermist Competition at the KCAC.

I heard it's a bit of a stuffy event.

:-)

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Read my lips - No new fence!

Seriously, upgrading the stadium has got to get a higher priority.

That video is a gem. Great place to be in 1976.
          Neat. Some things look pretty much the same. The size of some of those trees in the Oak Grove stood out to me. They’re all giants now. It’s amazing that old band stand that used to sit at the west end of the stadium still exists. It just sits in the parking lot on the opposite side of the creek where the band practices. And yes, the fence :(.

Comment

Any of yinz going to the Taxidermist Competition at the KCAC.

I heard it's a bit of a stuffy event.

:-)
            I was there. It wasn’t as stuffy as some events there, LOL. It was a little pricey to get in though at $10 per adult to see an exhibit that covered about half of the arena floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Neat. Some things look pretty much the same. The size of some of those trees in the Oak Grove stood out to me. They’re all giants now. It’s amazing that old band stand that used to sit at the west end of the stadium still exists. It just sits in the parking lot on the opposite side of the creek where the band practices. And yes, the fence :(.
              So much of our campuses are time capsules from the rapid growth of the 70s - the last time the state fully supported us. Still so many buildings (and fences) from the 70s. Unfortunately a lot of them were built at the expense of some grand older buildings that now would have been preserved - and the brick & block institutionalized construction is terrible for wireless phone & internet, so schools have had to spend tens of thousands on extra hotspots and signal repeaters for all the wireless technology that can't travel through stone. Let's be honest, the architecture is also pretty damn boring.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

So much of our campuses are time capsules from the rapid growth of the 70s - the last time the state fully supported us. Still so many buildings (and fences) from the 70s. Unfortunately a lot of them were built at the expense of some grand older buildings that now would have been preserved - and the brick & block institutionalized construction is terrible for wireless phone & internet, so schools have had to spend tens of thousands on extra hotspots and signal repeaters for all the wireless technology that can't travel through stone. Let's be honest, the architecture is also pretty damn boring.
                The campus that sticks out to me is California. It doesn't even look like the same place it was 20 years ago. It's nice down there now. The town is the killer. It's like having a school on one end of Clymer. Cal used to be like a hodge-podge of different looking buildings, etc. The did a terrific job in the demolition/rebuilding.

IUP has a few that still need to come down (Elkin, for one). Others need serious updates (or torn down) -- Zink, Ackerman, Pratt, Memorial Field House.

The Field House likely will never be torn down as it was dedicated as a war memorial, etc., but it has become a major eye soar. It needs some major sprucing up - interior and exterior. I still think the basketball teams should play one game a year over there. It's been several years now. IUP played Shippensburg in the Field House in 2018 on a Saturday night and it was a really cool evening. It was certainly a Memory Lane trip.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  FYI - Tort's favorite store on campus has nearly all its brand-name merchandise (Nike, etc.) at 40% (or more) off this week and next. It's the annual "we gotta get rid of all this overpriced stuff before the school year ends' sale.

The nice windbreakers that are usually $87 are now in the $40s ...same with the polo shirts and sweatshirts.

Remember, nothing gets that football team more pumped up than looking up in to the bleachers and seeing fans wearing IUP gear from the Co-Op Store.
                  Is this when you buy your gear?

Comment

The campus that sticks out to me is California. It doesn't even look like the same place it was 20 years ago. It's nice down there now. The town is the killer. It's like having a school on one end of Clymer. Cal used to be like a hodge-podge of different looking buildings, etc. The did a terrific job in the demolition/rebuilding.

IUP has a few that still need to come down (Elkin, for one). Others need serious updates (or torn down) -- Zink, Ackerman, Pratt, Memorial Field House.

The Field House likely will never be torn down as it was dedicated as a war memorial, etc., but it has become a major eye soar. It needs some major sprucing up - interior and exterior. I still think the basketball teams should play one game a year over there. It's been several years now. IUP played Shippensburg in the Field House in 2018 on a Saturday night and it was a really cool evening. It was certainly a Memory Lane trip.
                    Edinboro has some as well - but its certainly cleaned up since I was a student there. Probably because the first of the "revolving door presidents" was mentored by Track Suit Armenti. They still have some mothballed dorms that need to be spruced up or torn down and the vacant former lab school building that's clearly just sitting there and the facilities buildings (in the middle of campus!). Before everything went to hell, there was a daring plan to convert the former steam plant building into a brewery to promote the fermentation program they were starting. Insane to consider for those of us who attended PASSHE schools during the Stalinist-style enforcement of alcohol.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I was there. It wasn’t as stuffy as some events there, LOL. It was a little pricey to get in thought tat $10 per adult to see an exhibit that covered about half of the arena floor.
                      Sound like the Philadelphia Flower Show. First time I went at the PA Convention Center I expected the whole floor covered with exhibits and it was like less than half and the rest was just vendors.

Comment

Knock down Zink and the gut the Field House and put a new addition on to it where Zink stood to have a state of the art athletic phrdicsl education facility.

They need to shake down Mr. YouTube.

Comment

• IUP's game at Slippery Rock on Sept. 30 will kick off at 6 p.m.

Comment

IUP's game at Slippery Rock on Sept. 30 will kick off at 6 p.m.
                            State Police in Butler have already submitted for approval for OT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

State Police in Butler have already submitted for approval for OT.
                              They sure do get excited up there when IUP visits.

This past season Joe drew a crowd of 2,412 ... more than 4x their season average.

Two years ago, Tort drew a crowd of 9,317 (8,500 of which left in the third quarter during IUP's 48-21 blowout victory).

Ironically, I think the basketball game had way more than the 2,412 they announced ... and, I don't think that football game had anywhere near the announced 9,317.

Comment

Bloomsburg is a curious case when it comes to facilities management. They spent a good amount of money to build a new on-campus apartment building about 5 years ago (named after the former president who oversaw both our highest enrollment ever and a steady decline after) with a mix of regular and suite style apartments over the old University Store and have done a lot of internal renovations to various buildings. Most notably retooling Elwell Hall to serve as the main Residence Life offices and adding common rooms with a lot of seating, tables, and TV to every floor and overhauling Sutliff Hall (where most college of business classes are) with a lot of stone, glass, dark wood, conference rooms, and even a stock ticker. Sutliff’s not the Hilton or anything but it looks more like a business-oriented hotel inside than an academic building; at least outside of the classrooms. On the other hand Schuylkill and Montour Hall dorms haven’t had any major work done in years and a few of the academic buildings like Benjamin Franklin (old), Bakeless Center (confusingly laid out), and Navy Hall (both old and ugly blocky) probably would be better off torn down or renovated. Franklin especially seems pointless since it only houses math and computer science which could probably be moved to either the newer science building (Hartline) or next door to Navy Hall if tearing that down isn’t an option.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X