Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Wishful thinking. All conference players don't up and leave and things get better. That doesn't happen.

I think the East is where the action is this season, the West is IUP vs Rock, no way Cal competes with how much they lost this offseason. West Chester, Shepherd, Kutztown will be a nice battle royale to rep the East. Maybe Ship surprises as well.
    Ship's season largely depends on how whoever replaces Mussina works out, whether they can get help for last year's talented freshman Ian Sheehan at wide receiver, and whether their defense can keep Bagent under 50 points. They have some prospects who are interesting on paper, but it remains to be seen how that works out on the gridiron. And a five-game home schedule that includes IUP, Shepherd, Kutztown and improving ESU is one of their most brutal in years. Not a great thing when last year's regional runner-up is your Homecoming game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It becomes a long trip. I assume they'll travel Friday and return Sunday.

I'd hope they go up Friday, anyway. I wouldn't want the team sitting in a bus for 4-5 hours and then playing the same night.

At least with the trip being in early September there aren't any weather concerns for the fans making the voyage. Going up there in late October or November can get a bit dicey.

Comment

• Dang. Life in the bus leagues as they say. At the earliest that game probably ends at 10 p.m. I'd assume it takes at least 90 minutes to get them on the bus (showers, etc.). They'll probably get home as the sun is rising.

Comment

Dang. Life in the bus leagues as they say. At the earliest that game probably ends at 10 p.m. I'd assume it takes at least 90 minutes to get them on the bus (showers, etc.). They'll probably get home as the sun is rising.
          They should take it out of the ESU broadcasting budget to put up IUP a second night since they made it a late night game.

Comment

• IIRC, there was a movement a few years ago at the annual football coaches meeting to mandate all crossover games to start at noon. It failed by vote, but not by much.
            http://www.indianagazette.com
            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
              IIRC, there was a movement a few years ago at the annual football coaches meeting to mandate all crossover games to start at noon. It failed by vote, but not by much.
              As a fan, this kickoff time is great. Travel up in the morning, check in to the hotel, chill a bit and then head to the game.

That said, I can see where this timeslot is a nightmare for the coaching staff. Luckily, I think the timing is good. It's the first game so they shouldn't be having an issues with focus, etc.

Comment

As a fan, this kickoff time is great. Travel up in the morning, check in to the hotel, chill a bit and then head to the game.

That said, I can see where this timeslot is a nightmare for the coaching staff. Luckily, I think the timing is good. It's the first game so they shouldn't be having an issues with focus, etc.
                For a while I had Northwestern season tickets and would get to a game in Evanston every once in a while. Since they weren't one of the elite the Cats often got stuck with noon kickoff times, which translated to 11 a.m. as Evanston is on Central time. That really sucked, especially if you were playing someone like Wisconsin and walking in with drunken fans at 10:30 in the morning.

Comment

You're right, for the coaches it's a nightmare.

Lock Haven at Clarion at 7 p.m. isn't that bad of a trip for Lock Haven. But say, West Chester at Slippery Rock, and the Rams are rolling into home around 5 a.m. after a bumpy night with little sleep, and that's what the coaches wanted to avoid. It's one of those things that's probably a bigger deal for the far west and the far east schools. For those in the central part of the state it's a lesser problem.

IUP will come home right after the ESU game, and for most of the players Sunday is almost shot because they'll be exhausted. Especially so if the score is 73-42 again.

Comment

Lock Haven at Clarion at 7 p.m. isn't that bad of a trip for Lock Haven. But say, West Chester at Slippery Rock, and the Rams are rolling into home around 5 a.m. after a bumpy night with little sleep, and that's what the coaches wanted to avoid. It's one of those things that's probably a bigger deal for the far west and the far east schools. For those in the central part of the state it's a lesser problem.

IUP will come home right after the ESU game, and for most of the players Sunday is almost shot because they'll be exhausted. Especially so if the score is 73-42 again.
                    I bet between now and then that start time gets changed

Comment

If ESU has a defense anything like they did last season and IUP puts up 73 on them, the rest of the PSAC should be very, very afraid of IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's definitely advantageous for ESU. Unless the league gets involved (very doubtful) I'd be shocked if it changes.

Of course, we used to hear all the nonsense on here from those defending the 12pm kicks ... about not wanting players on buses at 3am.

I have a little more trepidation to the after effects ... i.e. what effect it has on the Ship week.

This is a harder two-game stretch than many think.

That said, Tort teams thrive on the road. More hostile the better. Hopefully they can figure out Miller Stadium this year.

Comment

East Stroudsburg and Slippery Rock are notorious for evening kickoffs for early season crossover games. Sure night kickoffs make for cooler temperatures in early September, but the post game, cross-state, travel is not just burdensome, it's dangerous. There was a documented case of an east coast cheerleading bus driver falling asleep at the wheel on the way home from a game at the Rock. Thus the noon kickoff proposal. But games like Lock Haven-Clarion show a rule is overkill. To the best of my knowledge, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Millersville and West Chester all have noon kickoffs for distant crossover opponents.

Sorry for the nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

East Stroudsburg and Slippery Rock are notorious for evening kickoffs for early season crossover games. Sure night kickoffs make for cooler temperatures in early September, but the post game, cross-state, travel is not just burdensome, it's dangerous. There was a documented case of an east coast cheerleading bus driver falling asleep at the wheel on the way home from a game at the Rock. Thus the noon kickoff proposal. But games like Lock Haven-Clarion show a rule is overkill. To the best of my knowledge, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Millersville and West Chester all have noon kickoffs for distant crossover opponents.

Sorry for the nonsense.
                            There's no doubt it's a big F U to the visiting team.

Reminds me of the SRU student newspaper last year printing those Chad Kuhn quotes. Those quotes got IUP on a level I hadn't seen in years.

Tort will use this as a motivator.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                              Not unless you know something happening behind the scenes at ESU. The home team decides the kickoff time for conference games, so unless ESU second-guesses itself, it'll be at 7:00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Sorry for the nonsense.
                                I'm glad you brought up the safety issue. I would imagine for administrators, it's a huge consideration. For fans, maybe not as much.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X