X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s not real foosball to me. It’s a gimmick.

It was also a bit unfair to be playing on their home field. Cheating Southern teams always get the advantages
    Yeah that was a tough bit of luck having North Alabama make the final, played in their home stadium, when IUP had their best shot at a championship. We’ll never know how that game may have played out on a neutral field.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

North Dakota State also ran it when they clubbed IUP in the 1990 title game. The option was still one of the ruling forces in college football in the early 90s and sadly IUP ran into two of the best to ever run it at the D2 level.
    It’s not real foosball to me. It’s a gimmick.

It was also a bit unfair to be playing on their home field. Cheating Southern teams always get the advantages

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I miss Frank's 80's-90's Pro Style Offenses with at least one major bomb for a TD by a strong armed QB during the game

How they still got beat by a ****ing high school option offense on a god damn fluke pass in the 93 finals still haunts me.
    North Dakota State also ran it when they clubbed IUP in the 1990 title game. The option was still one of the ruling forces in college football in the early 90s and sadly IUP ran into two of the best to ever run it at the D2 level.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

For offenses to be successful, they need an identity. Whether it's lining up in Power-I, 5-wide and air raid, triple option, etc. They need a system, and something within that system they're really good at. I don't think this offense had any of that. I'm not sure they knew what they wanted to do. And I'm not sure they were any good at anything they tried to do within that system.

In my opinion, the best IUP offense I can remember watching was in 2017. Their identity was clear: run the football. That team had an embarrassment of riches at running back. But they were able to play downhill in the run game, which set up so much else for Lenny Williams. They would be able to line up in the I-formation and pound the ball with Samir Bullock, Justice Evans, etc., to set up Lenny Williams on a bootleg that he could throw or tuck and run for 25 yards. The ability to just set up everything from how they were able to function in the run game made them so effective.
    I miss Frank's 80's-90's Pro Style Offenses with at least one major bomb for a TD by a strong armed QB during the game

How they still got beat by a ****ing high school option offense on a god damn fluke pass in the 93 finals still haunts me.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    In all honesty, 8-3 is still a good season. Not great, but good. Most PSAC teams would be happy with that.
    It's not good in Indiana.

It's a disaster.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

For offenses to be successful, they need an identity. Whether it's lining up in Power-I, 5-wide and air raid, triple option, etc. They need a system, and something within that system they're really good at. I don't think this offense had any of that. I'm not sure they knew what they wanted to do. And I'm not sure they were any good at anything they tried to do within that system.

In my opinion, the best IUP offense I can remember watching was in 2017. Their identity was clear: run the football. That team had an embarrassment of riches at running back. But they were able to play downhill in the run game, which set up so much else for Lenny Williams. They would be able to line up in the I-formation and pound the ball with Samir Bullock, Justice Evans, etc., to set up Lenny Williams on a bootleg that he could throw or tuck and run for 25 yards. The ability to just set up everything from how they were able to function in the run game made them so effective.
    Looking ahead - and assuming Karst is here -- I think he's actually perfect to run the 'Lenny' offense.

He's not a gunslinger. He's not going to be by September, either. What they tried to run with him this year was a disaster. It wasn't the right fit.

Plug him in to the Lenny role, and he could be pretty dangerous. Pound the ball until the defense has no choice but to cheat. Hit the play action passes. Scramble on some roll-outs. He's actually custom made for it. Not to mention he's half a foot taller than Lenny and just as fast.

Leave a comment:

• cage
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP going with that power running game in the second half was a breath of fresh air. It looked like the old days. I sure hope that is the primary offense the next four games.
    I would love to see triple option veer out of the flexbone. Pretty successful down here in Lancaster County at the high school level.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

It made myself (and many others) wonder if the simple answer to why the OL played like it did all year was it just wasn't a fit for the Karst offense.

It's well-documented IUP's OL is massive. Massive, however, also typically means a bit slow. The second half against Edinboro they were basically just told to crush people. That was BY FAR the best that OL has looked all year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Congratulations to Houser. 1,000 yards career rushing as a college football player is a great accomplishment. We might have lost a couple games but let's not lose our sense of decency.
    Decency? Took him three years to accomplish that. Since when do we celebrate a three year stat of 1000 yards? Now if that was one season then by all means, you celebrate.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Nobody cares.
    Congratulations to Houser. 1,000 yards career rushing as a college football player is a great accomplishment. We might have lost a couple games but let's not lose our sense of decency.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Air Raid & West Coast are fun to watch but its funny how when used properly the time-honored I-Formation and Wing T are pretty strong.
    It made myself (and many others) wonder if the simple answer to why the OL played like it did all year was it just wasn't a fit for the Karst offense.

It's well-documented IUP's OL is massive. Massive, however, also typically means a bit slow. The second half against Edinboro they were basically just told to crush people. That was BY FAR the best that OL has looked all year.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Of the four remaining, they should handle three of them pretty easily. However, the #LIT-AF visit in 12 days is going to be a tough game. That's always a very chippy, dirty game. Much like IUP, Gannon does show flashes of being a very good team. However, much like IUP, they also show flashes of not being a very good team.

Not one person at IUP will ever call 8-3 and missing the playoffs a good season -- especially with (lopsided) losses to Cal and SRU. As the Yinzer coach says, the standard is the standard.

The important part to finishing 8-3 (if) is heading in to the off-season on a five-game winning streak. I think that would at least salvage the season and build some momentum for next year. The offense is set to arrive next Fall, so we also have that to look forward to.

They do deserve credit for the second half against Edinboro. They looked dead in the water late in the first half. As soon as they went to the I-Formation, their RBs looked like themselves again. I sure hope that is the offense the rest of the way. That is the perfect offense for their current situation. Did anybody else notice the OL went from (again) dismal in the first half to looking dominant in the second half after switching the offense? Makes you wonder.

The visit to Greensburg Salem will be interesting. The Griffins, despite being the Griffins, talk on par with the 1980s Miami Hurricanes. This may be a personal foul festival.
    Air Raid & West Coast are fun to watch but its funny how when used properly the time-honored I-Formation and Wing T are pretty strong.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    In all honesty, 8-3 is still a good season. Not great, but good. Most PSAC teams would be happy with that.
    Of the four remaining, they should handle three of them pretty easily. However, the #LIT-AF visit in 12 days is going to be a tough game. That's always a very chippy, dirty game. Much like IUP, Gannon does show flashes of being a very good team. However, much like IUP, they also show flashes of not being a very good team.

Not one person at IUP will ever call 8-3 and missing the playoffs a good season -- especially with (lopsided) losses to Cal and SRU. As the Yinzer coach says, the standard is the standard.

The important part to finishing 8-3 (if) is heading in to the off-season on a five-game winning streak. I think that would at least salvage the season and build some momentum for next year. The offense is set to arrive next Fall, so we also have that to look forward to.

They do deserve credit for the second half against Edinboro. They looked dead in the water late in the first half. As soon as they went to the I-Formation, their RBs looked like themselves again. I sure hope that is the offense the rest of the way. That is the perfect offense for their current situation. Did anybody else notice the OL went from (again) dismal in the first half to looking dominant in the second half after switching the offense? Makes you wonder.

The visit to Greensburg Salem will be interesting. The Griffins, despite being the Griffins, talk on par with the 1980s Miami Hurricanes. This may be a personal foul festival.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    Houser cleared the 1,000-yard career rushing mark today.
    Nobody cares.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X