X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WT New Stadium

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
    http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/...-push-amarillo

Texas A&M just announced a new veterinary education and research center that will be built as a part of the agriculture education complex. This will be a $22 million addition to the campus.

Also, A&M is moving it's veterinary diagnostic lab from the Amarillo medical center to the WT campus.
    The Grand Illusion. You guys just thought it was a football stadium. It's holding pens. You guys will start a national trend. A tailgate area for the stock show.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
      Chip, you are a patient man. One question, could it be that WT bean counters looked at statistics and saw college football attendance has been declining for some time now and decided to go smaller?
      No. I think it came down to initial dollars and cents. When the original plan came in too high, rather than cutting quality, amenities, and bells and whistles, the decision as made to cut capacity with the plan to add additional seating as soon as needed.

I had it re-affirmed today, that pending the final OK by the Texas A&M board of regents (a formality) to occur in a couple of weeks, the stadium will be under construction before school is out. The contractor has been planning the construction particulars for quite some time and they are ready to roll as soon as they get the green flag. 45 weather days are built into the building schedule. Being ready for game 1 in Sep '19 is on track.

Comment

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/...-push-amarillo

Texas A&M just announced a new veterinary education and research center that will be built as a part of the agriculture education complex. This will be a $22 million addition to the campus.

Also, A&M is moving it's veterinary diagnostic lab from the Amarillo medical center to the WT campus.

Comment

• Last edited by Herb Street; 03-09-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
            No. I think it came down to initial dollars and cents. When the original plan came in too high, rather than cutting quality, amenities, and bells and whistles, the decision as made to cut capacity with the plan to add additional seating as soon as needed.

I had it re-affirmed today, that pending the final OK by the Texas A&M board of regents (a formality) to occur in a couple of weeks, the stadium will be under construction before school is out. The contractor has been planning the construction particulars for quite some time and they are ready to roll as soon as they get the green flag. 45 weather days are built into the building schedule. Being ready for game 1 in Sep '19 is on track.
            Chip, I personally disagree with those calling this a bad move. I think seating is a bad way to measure quality, especially if extra seating goes unused and can be added once demand is apparent. The Falcons new NFL stadium is middle of the pack in seating capacity, but is still one of the nicest stadiums you can find.

As for the $500K sale, was there reasonable potential for a better offer? To elaborate, did they sell the stadium for the best deal they could get without sinking maintenance costs waiting for a better mythical offer that may not come?

Comment

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
              Chip, I personally disagree with those calling this a bad move. I think seating is a bad way to measure quality, especially if extra seating goes unused and can be added once demand is apparent. The Falcons new NFL stadium is middle of the pack in seating capacity, but is still one of the nicest stadiums you can find.

As for the $500K sale, was there reasonable potential for a better offer? To elaborate, did they sell the stadium for the best deal they could get without sinking maintenance costs waiting for a better mythical offer that may not come?
              WT supposedly had no maintenance costs. CISD is the lessee of the property and is (once again) supposedly responsible for the maintenance. I guess the $3,000 per game rent that WT paid was just not enough to keep the stadium in good shape.

Comment

It will not be a "new" vet school, only a branch of the existing one. The way the article read, there will be A&M professors and students who come to Canyon to train in large animal science. Of course, Tech is still trying to get approval to build a new vet school in Amarillo.

Comment

It will not be a "new" vet school, only a branch of the existing one. The way the article read, there will be A&M professors and students who come to Canyon to train in large animal science. Of course, Tech is still trying to get approval to build a new vet school in Amarillo.

Comment

I have been talking to a few people behind the scenes. It seems A&M was able to block tech. From what I heard is that if Tech had gotten approval then A&M was going to beat them to the punch and add a full Vet school at WT but since Tech has been stalled (for now at least) they are going to keep the pipeline headed to college station. Apparently students from the new Vet classes at WT will be funneled to college station to complete their Vet degrees. Honestly this could be in preparation if Tech does get approval then A&M and WT can flip the switch and have a Vet school started in Canyon before Tech could even finalize plans.

Just to clarify this was all from a friend from A&M. Could all be smoke but sounds pretty logical. Would have the facilities and faculty already in place to make the switch if needed.
                    Last edited by BuffTough; 03-10-2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
                      I have been talking to a few people behind the scenes. It seems A&M was able to block tech. From what I heard is that if Tech had gotten approval then A&M was going to beat them to the punch and add a full Vet school at WT but since Tech has been stalled (for now at least) they are going to keep the pipeline headed to college station. Apparently students from the new Vet classes at WT will be funneled to college station to complete their Vet degrees. Honestly this could be in preparation if Tech does get approval then A&M and WT can flip the switch and have a Vet school started in Canyon before Tech could even finalize plans.

Just to clarify this was all from a friend from A&M. Could all be smoke but sounds pretty logical. Would have the facilities and faculty already in place to make the switch if needed.

Comment

The Tech Vet school has not been blocked. The legislature appropriated 4-5 million dollars for a study. A&M just built a new $120,000,000 vet school that can accommodate a lot more students. I'm not sure why there would be a need for a new school.

Comment

• [/QUOTE]

Comment

The Tech Vet school has not been blocked. The legislature appropriated 4-5 million dollars for a study. A&M just built a new $120,000,000 vet school that can accommodate a lot more students. I'm not sure why there would be a need for a new school.
                            Most large ranches and farms are not in urban area. Believe it or not there is a demand for vets in smaller towns. Vets are coming from other states as we speak to fill the need.

Comment

Talked to my buddy last night at the game. He said last he saw was a few months back. There where 2 concepts and both were significantly different from what was presented. There was the horseshoe concept but it is much smaller and in his opinion was awful because the fans are stretched thin. The second concept was East and West seating similar to ACU new stadium. And that both endzones would be open and bowl style landscape. The first expansion would be to complete the horseshoe (looking similar to the original concept). He said they were both first class but in his opinion the second concept was nicer and probably best.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffTough View Post
                                Talked to my buddy last night at the game. He said last he saw was a few months back. There where 2 concepts and both were significantly different from what was presented. There was the horseshoe concept but it is much smaller and in his opinion was awful because the fans are stretched thin. The second concept was East and West seating similar to ACU new stadium. And that both endzones would be open and bowl style landscape. The first expansion would be to complete the horseshoe (looking similar to the original concept). He said they were both first class but in his opinion the second concept was nicer and probably best.

Nutso. Why don't they make it 4000 so it will be really packed out? Or 2000 and make it REALLY deluxe? Or about how seating for 200, but all of those get to sit in massage chairs?

What happened to this, that the student referendum was for?

http://www.wtamu.edu/about/student-s....aspx#capacity

http://www.canyonnews.com/students-v...ampus-stadium/
                                Last edited by Herb Street; 03-11-2018, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X