Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I agree with you, that’ll be a lot to overcome.
    Also agree that 8-3 was likely the floor for USF last year. However I wouldn’t put too much into the ‘8-3 with that D1 talent’. Those schools (outside of Washington, and LATech) are about equal to USF - just with the D1 tag. I mean that more as a compliment to USF than a slam on the D1 schools.
    Losing 2 FBS level d-linemen is a big hit to any DL.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

In all fairness. If Durfee played for any D2 school last year he would be playing FBS this year. He is a special athlete

Comment

Originally posted by USFIllini View Post

In all fairness. If Durfee played for any D2 school last year he would be playing FBS this year. He is a special athlete
        Losing Durfee hurts, but if we were going to lose him regardless I'm happy that Kalen DeBoer got him.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Indeed. And I stated it’ll be a lot to overcome. But my hunch is USF will. They’re a solid program that lost a bunch, but typically doesn’t have issues replacing talent. They brought those guys there and developed in the first place…

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

Losing Durfee hurts, but if we were going to lose him regardless I'm happy that Kalen DeBoer got him.
            Interesting note about Durfee here..

Late in the Summer 2022....I had lunch with Jon Anderson at the Roundhouse Bew Pub, a newer place just North of the football stadium. Jon and I spoke candidly about his team and his expectations coming into the year..position battles, etc. That said, he singled out Durfee at that time and mentioned that he and the staff feared that the defensive end looked so good in practice against his own guy that he was concerned he would make the kinda splash that would land him in the portal at the end of the year. Jon and his staff completely saw this coming..but probably not to the level of a top 10 FBS squad. Durfee often ran with the 2's as USF was doing line changes like in hockey..given their depth upfront. It almost felt like they wanted him to be a real contributor to the squad..but at the same time not "show out" to the point where he would automatically be gone come the end of the year. That's a nearly impossible balance when trying to win ballgames. Durfee came out of the gate with a bunch of sacks in the first month of play..but then USF faced some of the better squads in the back part of their schedule and OC's were able to game plan around his abilities a little better as the season continued. Word is he's running with the 2's on Washington right now..so it'll be interesting to see how he does at their level. Sometimes you have an Austin Reed (West FLA) and sometimes you join a running room with the top RB in the draft..like Gabe Watson ran into.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Interesting note about Durfee here..

Late in the Summer 2022....I had lunch with Jon Anderson at the Roundhouse Bew Pub, a newer place just North of the football stadium. Jon and I spoke candidly about his team and his expectations coming into the year..position battles, etc. That said, he singled out Durfee at that time and mentioned that he and the staff feared that the defensive end looked so good in practice against his own guy that he was concerned he would make the kinda splash that would land him in the portal at the end of the year. Jon and his staff completely saw this coming..but probably not to the level of a top 10 FBS squad. Durfee often ran with the 2's as USF was doing line changes like in hockey..given their depth upfront. It almost felt like they wanted him to be a real contributor to the squad..but at the same time not "show out" to the point where he would automatically be gone come the end of the year. That's a nearly impossible balance when trying to win ballgames. Durfee came out of the gate with a bunch of sacks in the first month of play..but then USF faced some of the better squads in the back part of their schedule and OC's were able to game plan around his abilities a little better as the season continued. Word is he's running with the 2's on Washington right now..so it'll be interesting to see how he does at their level. Sometimes you have an Austin Reed (West FLA) and sometimes you join a running room with the top RB in the draft..like Gabe Watson ran into.
              If this was the mindset of the coaching staff, that is a problem. At this level you should want your best players to impact the game as much as possible. Yes, that very likely means you will not have them for 4 seasons. But limiting their impact with the hope of keeping them around for another season would be foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

If this was the mindset of the coaching staff, that is a problem. At this level you should want your best players to impact the game as much as possible. Yes, that very likely means you will not have them for 4 seasons. But limiting their impact with the hope of keeping them around for another season would be foolish.
                In a related story Jon Anderson is no longer employed by USF.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I think it's more about the impact of the portal and the unintended consequences that come from it. I think they felt he'd do well..but probably not bust outta the gates in the dramatic fashion he did.

Augieholic....Durfee had 3 sacks against the Vikings and out of respect for Jon Anderson, he was 4-1 against his crosstown rival. So..yeah.

Comment

Might be some familiar names on the roster this Summer.....

Comment

Originally posted by USFIllini View Post
                      Might be some familiar names on the roster this Summer.....
                      Do tell Illini

Comment

On Matt and Pat's sports chat they talk extensively about USF former player initiative fund raising arm. Very interesting and you find it early on the broadcast, before they talk about AU baseball.

WATCH: The Matt and Pat Sports Chat - Sioux Falls Live | Sioux Falls news and weather
                        Last edited by vikingfaithful; 06-03-2023, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Attended Coach Young's memorial service this morning out at the Bob. Pretty well attended. Went for about two hours as many people shared lots of memories of a great man.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowacoo View Post

Do tell Illini
                            Two D lineman that hit the portal will be back form what I am hearing

Comment

I had heard one. I like your version better. Lol

Comment

Yes..Grosskopf and Kumi are both "back". Grosskopf had been getting some FBS offers and was an all-conference performer..so that's kinda a big return. Kumi has been hurt a fair amount during his career but was being looked at by schools like USD..and has a nice 6-6 240lb frame and athleticism. They are both back on the USF roster page.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X