Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Jamestown be accepted into the NSIC?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Several years ago, I was bored so I counted all the physical locations a person could earn a degree from a non-profit institution in Minnesota and I landed around 100.

I didn't count Luther College, and some of those places were double-ups like when St. Scholastica was operating at CLC. There were also a handful like Augsburg in Rochester where the building was not owned by the school but they had the means to offer degrees there on a consistent annual basis. So I didn't count things like when SMSU used to offer programs outside of Marshall but it was a one-off deal.

And I know I missed a few.
    we dont need that many it is an oversaturated market

Comment

• Originally posted by CheapSkate View Post

Totally agree .. way too many schools in Minnesota, and many without a unique niche. One of the best things about Minnesota Morris is they know who they are, they're the states public liberal arts college. Crookston is nothing. They're not even great at ag or natural resources anymore. And they're in the least populated part of the state with UND, NDSU, MSUM, Concordia-Moorhead and Bemidji State all within 90 miles.

The consolidation idea has been brewing for a while. I used to have some friends in different athletic departments about 15 years ago, one at BSU and one at SCSU, and they would lament about how each school was underfunded. Back then they were saying one needed to close to they could combine and share budgets, scholarships, etc. They'd be the St. Bemidji State Husky Beavers!!!
      all I know is Crookston loves the job the AD is doing. Lifetime job

Comment

• Bismarck St and Carolina U are accepted into the NAIA. Does North Dakota really need another four year school- without football?

NAIA Announces Membership Additions - NAIA

Comment

• Last gasp attempt to save the NSAA perhaps? Maybe they can get Trinity to restart a football program too while they're at it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            Last gasp attempt to save the NSAA perhaps? Maybe they can get Trinity to restart a football program too while they're at it?
            With the stadium right there the cost or starting football would be lessened. I think they will follow Dickinson into the Frontier.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
              Bismarck St and Carolina U are accepted into the NAIA. Does North Dakota really need another four year school- without football?

NAIA Announces Membership Additions - NAIA
              The without football part seems like it's for the best-- you guys were just talking about how talent-depleted the Dakotas are a few pages back and how the non D1 teams in the area perform poorly as a result, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

With the stadium right there the cost or starting football would be lessened. I think they will follow Dickinson into the Frontier.
                Not a bad thought, probably something that would be appealing to DSU at least

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

we dont need that many it is an oversaturated market
                  To be fair - a lot of those are branch campuses for community colleges that are offering trade education in small towns, but aside from that, I agree. We have a lot of private schools and I can't imagine that's sustainable long term.

Bemidji alone has 3 colleges, Mankato/New Ulm/St.Peter have 5 collectively. I think Winona has 3. Then there's Rochester...

Then you add in the mediocre private schools like UST and SJU and it really gets inflated.

Comment

To be fair - a lot of those are branch campuses for community colleges that are offering trade education in small towns, but aside from that, I agree. We have a lot of private schools and I can't imagine that's sustainable long term.

Bemidji alone has 3 colleges, Mankato/New Ulm/St.Peter have 5 collectively. I think Winona has 3. Then there's Rochester...

Then you add in the mediocre private schools like UST and SJU and it really gets inflated.
                    Currently 19 private, 4-year schools in Minnesota (counting CSB/SJU as 1) and 10 public, 4-year schools. if I am counting right

Comment

• Originally posted by CheapSkate View Post

Currently 19 private, 4-year schools in Minnesota (counting CSB/SJU as 1) and 10 public, 4-year schools. if I am counting right
                      Not counting satellite campuses, there are 12 public four-years. 7 MnSCU and 5 U of M.

I'll have to look at private schools - Wikipedia lists about 30, but many of them are not four-years, like Adler. They also count seminaries, as well as Mitchell and CSU being separated from Hamline and SJU (when I would have combined them).

Curious to know what total# I can come up with now as my last count was several years ago already.

Comment

• There really are a lot of colleges and then you realize a lot of kids going to college

Comment

• Now I see why the folks from Northern were so against adding Jamestown.....they're taking away their press and air time.

Comment

• Northern folks are grumpy about everything.

Comment

Are we talking just "non-profit" schools? Because Rasmussen has a campus in the old Madison East mall in Mankato so there are 4 post-secondary education options with physical buildings in Mankato

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Are we talking just "non-profit" schools? Because Rasmussen has a campus in the old Madison East mall in Mankato so there are 4 post-secondary education options with physical buildings in Mankato
                                Yes - I didn't factor in for-profit schools.

We toured Rassmussen in Mankato when I was in high school, back when it was out by the highway. They must have really thought we were shooting for the stars.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X