Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Jamestown be accepted into the NSIC?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

All good and I appreciate it. I've been reading up through this topic for some time, and will occasionally use google for updates, but that is the 1 school I haven't seen anything recently.
    I do have an article about it from February - if I get a chance this afternoon I'll share it.

They are making a massive push on the facilities end of things and if they see it through all stages, it will be very impressive. Though I think they started that process long before conference movement talk began.

On the higher ed side, they are pushing to get into Sioux Falls too which I think is of note - though I haven't heard any updates on that in some time.

EDIT: (Welcome to page 99, we got fun and games)
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 04-18-2024, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Here's that article - it might be behind a paywall.

Dakota State University weighing NAIA, NCAA D-II options with current league set to fold - Mitchell Republic | News, weather, sports from Mitchell South Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I think the general consensus is they're getting ready to court the NSIC. Longtime AD just retired as well.

Nothing official though as far as I'm aware. Several (dozen?) pages back, I put together a post about what each NSAA school was looking into and included them, though I don't remember what info I had.
        They are in, just when

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

They are in, just when
          Well, yeah. There's just no hard news about it.

Not a huge fan of adding in a town like Madison to the fold, but I guess we've been okay with it as a conference for a long time given the other places we have.

Comment

Well, yeah. There's just no hard news about it.

Not a huge fan of adding in a town like Madison to the fold, but I guess we've been okay with it as a conference for a long time given the other places we have.
            Now that you say it, the Big Ten should welcome adding the Mankato market (45,000) because they're okay with it as a conference with towns like State College (40,000) and West Lafayette (45,000)!

Comment

• Trojans and Jimmies will have better facilities than half of the NSIC

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                Now that you say it, the Big Ten should welcome adding the Mankato market (45,000) because they're okay with it as a conference with towns like State College (40,000) and West Lafayette (45,000)!
                That would be sweet! I would gladly support a D1 move if that were on the table (I say that like I actually have a say or some sway). The idea of MSU having something that even remotely resembles the bare minimum qualifications for entry warms my cold old heart. But alas - being under the thumb of the U for 150 years ensured MSU would never be an R1 AAU (or even an R2 for that matter).

The older I get, the less desire I have to make the trek to these little outposts. Game that starts at 7:00 gets done at 9:30, and if one isn't local to the area - it's a hike back to the nearest city for accommodations much of the time. It's not my thing - but I recognize I'm in the minority around here.

Comment

Not a huge fan of adding in a town like Madison to the fold,
                  Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Why?
                    I mean - it all boils down to personal preference obviously.

The older I get, the less interested I become in these little outposts that don't have much to offer and are more than slightly inconvenient to get too. I'm sure they have a hotel there but I don't recall ever seeing one. I mean - we're talking less than a third of the size of Marshall here.

They also don't have a great reputation locally - but I haven't exactly figured out why. I haven't done any further inquiring.

The college itself is a decent school and it has a nice little campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                      I'll accept the offer in a heartbeat and take the pounding every year. The school will boom and the TV money will be an amazing benefit to the school and community frankly

Comment

The older I get, the less interested I become in these little outposts that don't have much to offer and are more than slightly inconvenient to get too. I'm sure they have a hotel there but I don't recall ever seeing one. I mean - we're talking less than a third of the size of Marshall here.

They also don't have a great reputation locally - but I haven't exactly figured out why. I haven't done any further inquiring.

Just for clarification, Marshall is just a hair over twice the size of Madison, not three times. Also, Madison has three hotels within the city limits: Best Western, AmericInn and Super 8.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

Just for clarification, Marshall is just a hair over twice the size of Madison, not three times. Also, Madison has three hotels within the city limits: Best Western, AmericInn and Super 8.
                          I thought it was 4,000 people. Apparently it's 6,000. Marshall is 14,000 which is more than just a hair, but I digress. That's my mistake.

I went down there a few times after moving to the area but haven't needed to go back for anything. Just as easy to continue on to Sioux Falls.

Comment

Right. It's mostly preference. I was just curious.

I was also curious how football playing schools in Division II compared to Marshall. By the way, wiki has Marshall at 13,628 and Madison at 6191 (about 45% the size of Marshall).

This is a list of schools in towns with a smaller population than Marshall. I didn't include any schools in a suburb of a large metro population, such as New Haven or Bentley. I'm sure I made an error or two.

Adams State
                            Arkansas-Monticello
                            Black Hills
                            California
                            Carson-Newman
                            Central State
                            Chadron State
                            Chowan
                            Clarion
                            Concord
                            Delta State
                            East Stroudsburg
                            Eastern New Mexico
                            Edinboro
                            Erskine
                            Ferris State
                            Fort Valley
                            Franklin Pierce
                            Frostburg State
                            Glenville State
                            Henderson State
                            Hillsdale
                            Kutztown
                            Limestone
                            Lincoln (Pa)
                            Lock Haven
                            Mars Hill
                            McKendree
                            Michigan Tech
                            Miles
                            Millersville
                            New Mexico Highlands
                            Newberry
                            North Greenville
                            Northwest Missouri
                            Northwestern Oklahoma
                            Ouachita Baptist
                            Pace
                            Shepherd
                            Shippensburg
                            Slippery Rock
                            Southern Arkansas
                            Southwest Baptist
                            Southwestern Oklahoma
                            Tuskegee
                            UNC-Pembroke
                            Upper Iowa
                            Virginia State
                            UVA-Wise
                            Wayne State
                            West Alabama
                            West Liberty
                            West Virginia State
                            West Virginia Wesleyan
                            Western Colorado
                            Western New Mexico
                            Western Oregon
                            Wingate

So there are 58ish schools in populations smaller than Marshall. That puts Marshall at around the 33% mark. No intent in any of this other than curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge and perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Right. It's mostly preference. I was just curious.

I was also curious how football playing schools in Division II compared to Marshall. By the way, wiki has Marshall at 13,628 and Madison at 6191 (about 45% the size of Marshall).

This is a list of schools in towns with a smaller population than Marshall. I didn't include any schools in a suburb of a large metro population, such as New Haven or Bentley. I'm sure I made an error or two.

*snip*

So there are 58ish schools in populations smaller than Marshall. That puts Marshall at around the 33% mark. No intent in any of this other than curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge and perspective.
                              My perspective comes as a combination of being quasi-local to Madison as well as being a hypothetical opposing fan, which is obviously not under consideration when picking conference opponents and I get that. There's a pocket of DSU alumni that relocates up here for work, and the ones I've been around have been lukewarm at best about their experience there, negative at worst.

Anyway - that's interesting info, thanks for sharing. I was wrong about Madison's population, I thought they were around 4,000 but you are right. Proximity to Sioux Falls seems to be a huge determining factor in eastern SD as to who gets amenities and who doesn't, which is not the fault of the town itself. That is also another piece to it.

I use Marshall because that 13,000-15,000 population number seems to be the sweet spot to where they can attract more things than the average small town, though Marshall is also a regional hub for the state and has the benefit of many supporting communities within 30-ish miles or so, so they may have more than most towns that size.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

I wonder if this would be similar to Wayne, where teams stay an hour away? Brookings is 45 minutes.

I did see a DQ and a Pizza Ranch listed, so that's a plus :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X