Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

What's truly remarkable is Ethan did what he did this year with no help under the basket. He didn't have a Tomiwa drawing attention. He was doubled nearly the whole season. He got freaking tripled against UPJ.

To put up the stats he did while getting crushed nightly was amazing.

He was a rare breed in this era. He played through every illness (including major surgery) and injury possible. He played his Junior season at maybe 50 percent and still had a great year.

Aside from his tournament MVPs, he'll always be remembered for hitting the biggest shot in KCAC history (the corner trey that sealed the Regional). That was the loudest moment ever in that building.
    I hope people appreciate what Ethan provided IUP during his career. Having had the pleasure of seeing his and Webb’s full careers, those two stand alone for me as the best two players to ever take the court for IUP when looking at their start to finish careers. In some ways they were very different, and in others they were similar. Both had remarkable hands. Webb did it with power and Ethan with fundamentals and grace. Webb was a rock concert and Ethan a symphony. I agree with Joe that both should have banners in the KCAC.

Comment

What's truly remarkable is Ethan did what he did this year with no help under the basket. He didn't have a Tomiwa drawing attention. He was doubled nearly the whole season. He got freaking tripled against UPJ.

To put up the stats he did while getting crushed nightly was amazing.

He was a rare breed in this era. He played through every illness (including major surgery) and injury possible. He played his Junior season at maybe 50 percent and still had a great year.

Aside from his tournament MVPs, he'll always be remembered for hitting the biggest shot in KCAC history (the corner trey that sealed the Regional). That was the loudest moment ever in that building.
      This is why he should have been player of the year in the West, not McClurg. McClurg was always singled up and had people around him.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

This is why he should have been player of the year in the West, not McClurg. McClurg was always sibgled up and had people around him.
        EP certainly had a case. However, I can't recall a POY ever coming from a fourth place team.

It's a shame Joe didn't get him a wingman last off-season. It ruined their season.

Put even an average small forward on that roster and they make the tournament. That position wiped out their whole season.

Comment

EP certainly had a case. However, I can't recall a POY ever coming from a fourth place team.

It's a shame Joe didn't get him a wingman last off-season. It ruined their season.

Put even an average small forward on that roster and they make the tournament. That position wiped out their whole season.
          You are no doubt correct about a POY candidate on a fourth place team. With that said, my humble opinion was that Porterfield deserved the honor with no disrespect to McClurg. Watched them both a couple of times and thought that Porterfield just carried IUP on his back; McClurg, not so much!

Comment

Looks like they went with the two high scorers for POY, although I thought Shoats of Lock Haven was more important to his team than McClurg was to Cal. I thought the PSAC East awards were spot-on.

Comment

• Just save this post for October.

2024-25 IUP team: Joe will play seven regulars and an eighth who gets 10-15 minutes per night. The transfers we read about will either redshirt or be buried on the bench only to transfer out after the season. One guy who looks great in warmups won't play. IUP will be picked to come in second in the PSAC, win 25 games and everyone goes home happy. Complaints about 3 p.m. tipoff times and why the roster isn't posted yet.

Comment

• So, there is some news. It seems Josh Petteno does indeed have an extra year of eligibility. He played one year of JUCO, two years at Young Harris and one year at IUP. His first year was the Covid year, when players were not charged a year.

He did walk on senior day but that is normal for those graduating.

I would love to see him come back next year - and play, you know, his actual position.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                  Just save this post for October.

2024-25 IUP team: Joe will play seven regulars and an eighth who gets 10-15 minutes per night. The transfers we read about will either redshirt or be buried on the bench only to transfer out after the season. One guy who looks great in warmups won't play. IUP will be picked to come in second in the PSAC, win 25 games and everyone goes home happy. Complaints about 3 p.m. tipoff times and why the roster isn't posted yet.
                  And several dumb posts asking if IUP is any good.

Comment

• Don't make me plan a themed game.

And to answer my own question of "Is IUP good?" Eh, not really, so-so, mas o menos. Maybe? Not really.
                    Last edited by hawks16; 03-09-2024, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• The last time Gannon hosted Championship Sunday, the Knights hit a DEEP walk-off three-pointer to defeat IUP. That was an awful ride back to Indiana.

A week later, Gannon was upset by Slippery Rock (a team they had blasted three times). IUP went on to win the Regional and eventually lose in the National Final.

Talk about a deep West that year.

Comment

The last time Gannon hosted Championship Sunday, the Knights hit a DEEP walk-off three-pointer to defeat IUP. That was an awful ride back to Indiana.

A week later, Gannon was upset by Slippery Rock (a team they had blasted three times). IUP went on to win the Regional and eventually lose in the National Final.

East had a pretty nice year in 2018 when ESU, Ship, and West Chester were three of the semifinalists in the Atlantic Region with Ship destroying two higher-seeded teams before losing in the final to an ESU team it had split with during the regular season.

Comment

The last time Gannon hosted Championship Sunday, the Knights hit a DEEP walk-off three-pointer to defeat IUP. That was an awful ride back to Indiana.

LIT AF won.

Comment

• Anybody hitting the portal????

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP1423 View Post
                              Anybody hitting the portal????
                              Hopefully a couple. Need some addition by subtraction.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP1423 View Post
                                Anybody hitting the portal????
                                Not that I’ve heard yet but others here have a better handle on that.

On the potential incoming players front, I know there are hints or hope that Tomiwa may return to IUP but I’m not so sure. His minutes and productivity have increased at Towson so he’s settling in, and now they’re one win away from playing in the NCAA Tournament. If they beat Charleston tonight, they get the automatic bid. I think the odds are better that he might consider leaving if Towson loses tonight. They’ve already beaten Charleston once so it’s possible.

The other big name being floated is a more likely candidate from a basketball perspective as he’s not getting many minutes and hasn’t been terribly productive at his new D1 home. Of course there’s more to it than just what’s happening on the court. How much does a kid like being at the school? What’s the graduation situation look like? In Tomiwa’s situation at least he’d have a couple years worth of credits at IUP to come back to, assuming he cares about that. The other kid would risk being in no man’s land academically with a few credits from two prior schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X