X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPBBall
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

If the kid from Saltsburg signs with IUP, there isn't going to be much room for him in the rotation for next year. I could see him playing if some of the guards got into foul trouble, but he would probably be better suited for a redshirt.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Not sure I'm ready to go that far but Bravado certainly addressed some glaring needs with the additions of Willem and Keyes. Keyes brings that instant aggressive spark under the basket. I saw him in a high school game go for 28 points and 25 rebounds. He's a big-time land for IUP -- long, athletic and plays with an attitude (something the team has lacked a bit the past two years).

They needed to get bigger, deeper and faster under the basket. Those two accomplished the task in a big way.

Updated depth chart (no order):

Guards:
    Dante Lombardi (Jr. to be)
    Anthony Glover (Sr.)
    Malik Miller (So.)
    Ayron Hutton (Sr.)
    Milo Luciano (RFR)
    Anthony White (So.)
    Armoni Foster (Fr.)

Blake Danielak (Sr. - 6'-7")
    Willem Brandwijk (Jr. - 6'9")
    Dom Keyes (Jr. - 6'8")
    Jerimah Nkumsah (RFR - 6'6")
    Jake Rouse (So. - 6'8")

I'd have to think Keyes' signing wraps up the class although there's been some talk lingering about the shooting guard from Saltsburg still being in the mix.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    OFFICIAL: Harford PF Dom Keyes (6'8", 210 lbs.) has signed with IUP. He has two years eligibility.
    next two years will be interesting - maybe we'll see regionals at the KCAC

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

OFFICIAL: Harford PF Dom Keyes (6'8", 210 lbs.) has signed with IUP. He has two years eligibility.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Forward Micah Till (6'6", 245 lbs) of Harford CC has officially signed with Slippery Rock.

Nice pickup for KR.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...orts,26251972/

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Not much of a surprise. I know he went to Kiski Prep with Dante. The reality, however, was there probably wasn't much of a future on the floor for him at IUP. I think Joe would have kept him around if he wanted to be the deep bench walk-on but that would likely be the extent. As you recall he left the team last year, too, but appeared on the roster again after the CJ departure in October.

Wish him the best ... from all I've heard he's a pretty good guy.

It sounds like Rouse is staying. They have to get some serious weight put on him. He is not on scholarship. He could be a late bloomer but at 6'8" he needs to get up to at least 215 lbs or so to have a chance.

The hot topic: Keyes yet to announce.

Leave a comment:

• IUPBBall
    replied

Greg Bearer has left the team

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Delaware State has also offered Keyes but Malik had some lower-end D1 offers last year, too, and they still were able to land him. Keyes has two years' eligibility.

Slippery Rock has offered about half of the Harford roster.

I really like the Morton kid leaving Clarion. I'm sure they blocked West schools but somebody is going to land a good player (with 3 years eligibility). He can shoot outside and for 6'9" is incredibly athletic. Surround him with better talent than he had at Clarion and he may be a steal.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 04-24-2017, 10:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    IUP has officially offered (former UPJ player) Dom Keyes (6'8", 190 lbs) of Harford Community College (I believe same program as Tevin Hanner and Brandon Spain) and Steel Valley High School.

It looks like he has about 9 total offers including West Chester, UPJ and Virginia Union.

This is the exact guy they need to go with Willem, Cobo, Nkumsah and Danielak -- the fast, athletic power forward. He made his official visit to IUP this past weekend.

If they can land Keyes, that's a key addition. No pun intended. Suddenly there's both length and athleticism along with depth added to the front court. That's not something they've had for quite a while.

He was a tremendous player at Steel Valley in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

IUP has officially offered (former UPJ player) Dom Keyes (6'8", 190 lbs) of Harford Community College (I believe same program as Tevin Hanner and Brandon Spain) and Steel Valley High School.

It looks like he has about 9 total offers including West Chester, UPJ and Virginia Union.

This is the exact guy they need to go with Willem, Cobo, Nkumsah and Danielak -- the fast, athletic power forward. He made his official visit to IUP this past weekend.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 04-24-2017, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Manny Powell and Kwame Morton are transferring out of Clarion. Morton is a nice, athletic 6'9" forward with 3 years eligibility.

I could think of a landing spot for him.
    Me too!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Manny Powell and Kwame Morton are transferring out of Clarion. Morton is a nice, athletic 6'9" forward with 3 years eligibility.

I could think of a landing spot for him.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Interesting thoughts. I looked at it from a different angle.

I see Brandwijk as a significant upgrade at center or PF. He's bigger, can shoot the three and plays above the rim. All reports say he's extremely agile and athletic.

If you look back IUP was toasted by elite bigs last year. Cottrell did fine against West bigs but was pretty much a non-factor against Sleva and the two Fairmont games. Brandwijk will really stretch defenses which will take heat off Cobo.

The two guards add some much-needed size at that position. Foster will need time but White is a very dynamic playmaker and is lightning fast. Dante and Glover may list above 6'0" but that's not the case. Hutton may be best used in that defensive spark role. Miller has star potential and I'd look for his role to increase dramatically.

Personally I think Joe's always played 8 players more out of that's all he had to play than anything else. They had incredible luck getting through last year healthy. One injury would have been a disaster.

Nkumsah also adds a fourth 'big' into the mix even if it's in a small role this season.

Devon had a great career but Joe's system evolved over his time here. He wasn't a great fit in the more up-tempo style of the past two years and lost some speed. I would have loved to have had Devon in addition to another big last season.

I tend to think we see one more addition in the post. They don't need another scorer but an agile defender would do wonders as a sub. Maybe that's Nkumsah. I agree on Danielak. He toughed it out this year but would be a much better fit as a full-time small forward.

On the positive .... great problems to have. These may be two very special seasons upcoming.

I'd still love to see Glover move to PG and Dante to shooting guard.

I also don't think the ship has completely sailed on Jeremy Bonafacio. He had a good season at a JUCO in LA and got bigger.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 04-20-2017, 05:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
    Deeper maybe, seems about the same size and speed though. I guess if the 2 new guards pan out w ecould have a potential lineup without Dante or Glover - White, Foster and malik with Cobo and Nkumsah should be pretty fast, but I don't see that line-up happening much, if at all - mostly I see this team as the same as last year only a bit better. The returning players should improve some , esp Malik, and the new guys will replace Spain and Cottrell. Wil lthey gel ? that's the question
    I tend to agree. Other than maybe one the new guys pushing Hutton out of the lineup I don't see much change in the backcourt. Joe plays 8 guys max once he establishes his rotation so half those guards won't see the floor. Brandwijk looks like a nice pickup but with that group of bigs Danielak is still going to spend a lot of time playing the 5 spot and the team would be much better served if he could strictly be a stretch 4.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X