Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Think all the examples you show were exhibition games. While exhibition games are a step up from scrimmages, they are still not regular season games.
    I will say that when Augustana beat Iowa that year, Iowa's starters played as many or more minutes than they did in a good number of their Big Ten games. Augie was up by 15 at one point in the second half, and I think Iowa was pretty desperate to try to come back and win it, exhibition game or not. I doubt McCaffrey was particularly concerned about testing line-up combos and sub patterns and things of that nature by then.
    Last edited by MrAugustana; 10-29-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Think all the examples you show were exhibition games. While exhibition games are a step up from scrimmages, they are still not regular season games.
      I am not aware of high level d1 playing very many d2 teams other than in exhibition. Probably because it would hurt strength of schedule even if they beat them badly. Exhibition gives d2 a payday and avoids no win situation for d1.

Way back in 2005 or 2006 Findlay beat Ohio state in exhibition. It was the season before Findlay went undefeated and won the national title. Like Iowa against augustana, Ohio state left their starters in much longer in an attempt to win the game.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Valid point.

On the other hand, IUP is going to likely take the full throttle from Kentucky for probably at least 30 minutes. With the way Calipari recruits the one-and-done's ... these games are real important to them for as simple as getting some time to gel on the court together.

I like these games. All of IUP's most recent big seasons started with these types of games. They are glorified practices but it's a really cool experience for the players. They won't see even remotely a team with this athleticism and size again all season.

Two years ago they played Syracuse pretty tough. I remember Jim Boheim even slammed his clipboard calling a timeout. Then the next week Villanova stampeded them by about 60 points.
        While I don't think the coach for the name D1 pulls punches and is more than happy to walk out with a 40 point "win," there is part of me that kind of sees the chance for a close game as a tool the D1 HC can use to refocus a squad that might be getting a bit full of themselves. Kind of a - You thought you were good? Well you almost got your a$$ handed to you by a lowly DII program. Now shut your cake holes, focus and play the GD game the way I want you to play it!"

Comment

Make no mistake, they best win the game. Exhibition or not, they don't want a D2 loss in the media.

After the IUP women beat Pitt last year ... they aren't ever being invited back there.

There's actually a good story from several years back when Slippery Rock played one of Jamie Dixon's good Pitt teams. The Rock gave it to them in the first half. Jamie wasn't real happy with paying a D2 team to come in and push his team around. It got interesting at halftime.

Comment

Make no mistake, they best win the game. Exhibition or not, they don't want a D2 loss in the media.

After the IUP women beat Pitt last year ... they aren't ever being invited back there.

There's actually a good story from several years back when Slippery Rock played one of Jamie Dixon's good Pitt teams. The Rock gave it to them in the first half. Jamie wasn't real happy with paying a D2 team to come in and push his team around. It got interesting at halftime.
            The certainly don't want to lose but getting "pushed" could serve as tool for the coach to refocus their team.

As for not scheduling a team, yea, WLU is familiar with that. WVU has been ducking WLU for years. In 2016 they said they couldn't get their schedule to align but then came to WestBanco Arena (literally 12 miles away from WLU) on Oct 16 and played an intersquad scrimmage before playing WV Tech in an exhibition game on the 29th. WLU didn't have anything going on particularly beyond normal practice on both dates. I jokingly suggested that the Topper players get in their cars, drive to WesBanco and challenge the Mountaineers to a pick-up game!!! I'm sure Huggin's would have blown a gasket if the WLU players did that!!!

Comment

The certainly don't want to lose but getting "pushed" could serve as tool for the coach to refocus their team.

As for not scheduling a team, yea, WLU is familiar with that. WVU has been ducking WLU for years. In 2016 they said they couldn't get their schedule to align but then came to WestBanco Arena (literally 12 miles away from WLU) on Oct 16 and played an intersquad scrimmage before playing WV Tech in an exhibition game on the 29th. WLU didn't have anything going on particularly beyond normal practice on both dates. I jokingly suggested that the Topper players get in their cars, drive to WesBanco and challenge the Mountaineers to a pick-up game!!! I'm sure Huggin's would have blown a gasket if the WLU players did that!!!

Comment

• Comment

You aren't hijacking anything. There are so few of us on the basketball side it's not like we don't (in theory) know each other.

It's funny. What I read on the UK boards about the Transylvania games is exactly what I read on the Syracuse threads after the IUP game.

Jim Boheim actually said at his press conference after the game that IUP was a match-up problem for Syracuse and its famous zone -- mainly because IUP had a bunch of 'smaller 6'7" guys shooting three's over top the zone'. He said their post players -- typically in the 6'10" to 7'1" range -- rarely have to go out and cover the three point line. IUP stormed out to a big lead in that game and then the Orange pressed the button. He also inferred IUP ran a 'junk defense' which I still don't really understand what that meant.

From what I read on the UK boards they were saying Translyvania just had a bunch of 6' guards launching from all over the place. Add that to what your neighbor said and it makes sense.

But, the thing with UK is you always want them early. That's basically a new team every year. By Jan-Feb they start rolling -- and have some of the best recruits in the country.

Calipari and Lombardi are very close friends, too. I think IUP has enough this year to, as you said, at least make it interesting for a bit. If they stay within 20-30 by the end that's a success. This is freaking Kentucky after all.

Comment

Yeah ... WVU is no joke. They hung like 60 on Wheeling Jesuit last yet ... or some big number. They do a lot of the things WL does ... just with bigger, faster athletes -- and more of them.

Comment

Yeah ... WVU is no joke. They hung like 60 on Wheeling Jesuit last yet ... or some big number. They do a lot of the things WL does ... just with bigger, faster athletes -- and more of them.

Comment

For what it's worth, didn't Syracuse play only man-to-man defense against IUP?

Comment

They tried it but failed miserably ... probably less than 5 minutes.

Comment

The WVU vs AB game was recently cancelled. The explanation is over in the Midwest forum.

Comment

Pitt 78

UPJ 59

Comment

Pitt 78

UPJ 59
                                Pitt is going to have a long year!

Comment

Ad3