Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regardless if Gannon wins this game or not, the one thing I was disappointed to see was how quickly Coach Fee strayed from his hockey line changes. The 2nd line played 3 minutes first half, didn't fare any differently than the first line, and that same 2nd line never came back in. He made some multi-player substitutions but also a bunch of single player subs too. It would seem this style of play is fueled by rested players and Lincoln punched through their defense many times, and Gannon players weren't getting back like they usually do.

Just think it would have been interesting to see how this true style play would have held up.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
      Regardless if Gannon wins this game or not, the one thing I was disappointed to see was how quickly Coach Fee strayed from his hockey line changes. The 2nd line played 3 minutes first half, didn't fare any differently than the first line, and that same 2nd line never came back in. He made some multi-player substitutions but also a bunch of single player subs too. It would seem this style of play is fueled by rested players and Lincoln punched through their defense many times, and Gannon players weren't getting back like they usually do.

Just think it would have been interesting to see how this true style play would have held up.
      Harder for the hockey lines subs to hold up against the better teams. Not saying Lincoln is a great team either.

Ojamafo is incredibly good. Fee should send KJ a Christmas card for recruiting him. the three grad transfers are all solid players too.

Will be curious to see how the style holds up in the West. I could see them finishing anywhere from 1-5. It’s a really smart style to play if you are at a D2 with superior resources.

Comment

Regardless if Gannon wins this game or not, the one thing I was disappointed to see was how quickly Coach Fee strayed from his hockey line changes. The 2nd line played 3 minutes first half, didn't fare any differently than the first line, and that same 2nd line never came back in. He made some multi-player substitutions but also a bunch of single player subs too. It would seem this style of play is fueled by rested players and Lincoln punched through their defense many times, and Gannon players weren't getting back like they usually do.

That's insanely naive... He did similar in the Charleston game, and I'm going to guess we'll see a similar adjustment in games against Cal, IUP, ESU, SRU, and Hurst. Gannon has a considerable size disadvantage, and like both Charleston and Lincoln, those teams exposed and leveraged for far too easy put backs, which put the full court defense at a disadvantage. He needed length and especially as his two best rebounder were quickly in foul trouble. Coach made needed adjustments and pulled off a big win against a good Lincoln squad.

A good coach doesn't play a style 40 minutes regardless of outcomes. Otherwise is just a gimmick. Our defense is nothing like it'd need to be in the post for it to be the only style we'll play all season. Especially if they can't convert in the post due to size disadvantages. We saw an unwillingness to change systems ad nauseum with Reilly and, uh, eventually not only were there no tricks in playbook that weren't fully scouted, but also no recruiting who was interested in his style. No thank you.

I'm far more impressed with how Fee has brought essentially 15 new players together into a brand new new system, and is making in-game adjustments that players are responding to midgame and with success against bigger teams and still winning. I'll take the win over seeing more of Shelton, Schneider, Anderson, or Lucarotti for one night. No doubt they will and have had opportunities to thrive.
        Last edited by TheMadLibs; 11-26-2023, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Harder for the hockey lines subs to hold up against the better teams. Not saying Lincoln is a great team either.

Ojamafo is incredibly good. Fee should send KJ a Christmas card for recruiting him. the three grad transfers are all solid players too.

Will be curious to see how the style holds up in the West. I could see them finishing anywhere from 1-5. It’s a really smart style to play if you are at a D2 with superior resources.
          Agree on your assessment about TBD final standings. Of course I enjoy thid start, the energy of caring to watch, the feeling of nervous energy at the end of the game, but more importantly they just look like they're having fun again, which has been missed on the men's home bench for years now. I'm excited to see them against ESU Saturday. I think that'll tell us a lot.

That said, our NC competition has been.... Meager at best, a joke at worst. My g-d I hope they're working the phones already for better comp in y2. The best team they've seen was a Charleston without their star player. I did not think Lincoln was that bad, seemed a bit sloppy at times with making an extra pass that cost them, but they had a good plan against Gannon. Gannons depth won them this game.

Was thinking earlier if Mims had stayed with Omojafo this year 🤯. His speed and length was meant to play in this offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post

That's insanely naive... He did similar in the Charleston game, and I'm going to guess we'll see a similar adjustment in games against Cal, IUP, ESU, SRU, and Hurst. Gannon has a considerable size disadvantage, and like both Charleston and Lincoln, those teams exposed and leveraged for far too easy put backs, which put the full court defense at a disadvantage. He needed length and especially as his two best rebounder were quickly in foul trouble. Coach made needed adjustments and pulled off a big win against a good Lincoln squad.

A good coach doesn't play a style 40 minutes regardless of outcomes. Otherwise is just a gimmick. Our defense is nothing like it'd need to be in the post for it to be the only style we'll play all season. Especially if they can't convert in the post due to size disadvantages. We saw an unwillingness to change systems ad nauseum with Reilly and, uh, eventually not only were there no tricks in playbook that weren't fully scouted, but also no recruiting who was interested in his style. No thank you.

I'm far more impressed with how Fee has brought essentially 15 new players together into a brand new new system, and is making in-game adjustments that players are responding to midgame and with success against bigger teams and still winning. I'll take the win over seeing more of Shelton, Schneider, Anderson, or Lucarotti for one night. No doubt they will and have had opportunities to thrive.
            Coach Fee clearly showed he knows what he's doing, not that I was doubting that at all. I just would've liked to see the 2 lines go a little longer. I really think, regardless of height, they would've worn them down with a few more minutes of changes.

Also this was a bit different than against Charleston. Charleston game Gannon still had 10 players with 10+ mins with majority in 20s, last night only 8 with majority in 30s. They ran the 2 lines a lot vs Charleston, just not as long at a time.

Again, not saying it was the wrong move as they obviously won lol just would've liked to have seen how it could have played out.

Comment

• Diff topic... when did Cheyney get a basketball program back? I thought Cheyney had closed altogether lol but I was looking at Lincolns schedule and they play Cheyney. And then went to Cheyney and they have a full schedule of pish posh teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

This was probably the first time in years that Ship has not opened with a CIAA team or two. Decided to go easy and open with West Liberty. /s
                ESU now 4-0, all on the road...The Warriors are battle-tested, and I hope they're ready!!

Comment

Diff topic... when did Cheyney get a basketball program back? I thought Cheyney had closed altogether lol but I was looking at Lincolns schedule and they play Cheyney. And then went to Cheyney and they have a full schedule of pish posh teams.
                  They didn't drop their program, just went D3. They are on Ship's schedule as well, so count us up as pish posh I guess.

Comment

They didn't drop their program, just went D3. They are on Ship's schedule as well, so count us up as pish posh I guess.
                    I meant pish posh of teams as it was a mix of D3 and D2 teams with no conference games indicated

Comment

• Looking at their schedule, i think Lincoln is the best team Gannon has played yet. Lost to ESU bt 7, beat Kutz by 14, lost at #25 Florida Southern by 12, lost to Cal by 1. Those are strong losses.

Comment

Cheyney is an independent with no NCAA affiliation as they lost it when placed on probation. They can play whomever they want, but can't compete in any NCAA tournament.

Comment

Cheyney is an independent with no NCAA affiliation as they lost it when placed on probation. They can play whomever they want, but can't compete in any NCAA tournament.
                          OK. They were put on probation about 10 years ago, dropped Division II athletics (and out of the PSAC) some years later) and really haven't come back post-Covid. I was wrong to say they were D3. They might as well be in effect as they haven't been giving scholarships. I knew they weren't affiliated. A lot of money has been put into that place to keep them afloat as is the case with some of the other PASSHE schools.

Comment

OK. They were put on probation about 10 years ago, dropped Division II athletics (and out of the PSAC) some years later) and really haven't come back post-Covid. I was wrong to say they were D3. They might as well be in effect as they haven't been giving scholarships. I knew they weren't affiliated. A lot of money has been put into that place to keep them afloat as is the case with some of the other PASSHE schools.
                            Yes the probation expired in 2019. Last year they at least kept stats, this year they aren't recording scores stats etc.

Comment

Yes the probation expired in 2019. Last year they at least kept stats, this year they aren't recording scores stats etc.
                              At one point they had two Hall of Fame coaches running their basketball programs at the same time. It's been a shame to watch the decline.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

The timing couldn’t have been better for Gannon to implement the WL style of play. The West is a mess and very winnable for them this year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X