Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

The team has no chemistry. 8 transfers. 7 players left over from the former coach, with 2 trying to play after missing a season with injuries. 3 players recruited by current coach as freshman with 1 missing since last season's injury. 18 players who need coaching to be a .500 team at best.
    He was an 'interesting' hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

He was an 'interesting' hire.
      He can talk the game.

An interesting volunteer assistant coach working with his brother who is the assistant coach, Jaymon Mason all time leading scorer in Edinboro history.

Comment

Nelson could play for any team in the league (with a varying role). Wild is actually pretty good. I think on a top team he'd be a bench guy for sure but he's serviceable.
        Wild’s a good shooter but I think he’s just an okay athlete at this level and he’s kind of a tweener; like a 2-guard in a 1-guards body. His passing has never been the best but he could probably play for a better team if you had a bigger pass-first guard to pair him with. He’d be serviceable but he’d definitely be more of a role player than the lead guard he’s been at BU the last two seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

The team has no chemistry. 8 transfers. 7 players left over from the former coach, with 2 trying to play after missing a season with injuries. 3 players recruited by current coach as freshman with 1 missing since last season's injury. 18 players who need coaching to be a .500 team at best.
          Sure. I don’t say that to speak ill of the players. And the turnover definitely hurts. Guys don’t know who they’re playing with as well as you’d hope or what their tendencies are even if they know the Xs and Os of the coach’s systems.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

Sure. I don’t say that to speak ill of the players. And the turnover definitely hurts. Guys don’t know who they’re playing with as well as you’d hope or what their tendencies are even if they know the Xs and Os of the coach’s systems.
            I've watched more D2 basketball games than I'd ever actually admit the past 30 years.

There's a good team there at Bloom. Not great, but good.

It just has to find itself.

Comment

I've watched more D2 basketball games than I'd ever actually admit the past 30 years.

There's a good team there at Bloom. Not great, but good.

It just has to find itself.
              I think the constant transfer movement of players these days combined with untimely injuries makes it harder to have good team chemistry than in the past. If you get a team where everything comes together these days you'd better enjoy it, because it's not likely it will be around for long.

Comment

• Somebody tell the Ship broadcaster to lay off the Red Bull. Good Lord.

Comment

Somebody tell the Ship broadcaster to lay off the Red Bull. Good Lord.
                  I appreciate the passion that many announcers have for the games they broadcast, but you have to have a different energy in regular season games as opposed to playoff games or rivalry games.

Comment

Somebody tell the Ship broadcaster to lay off the Red Bull. Good Lord.
                    He was probably excited to see them play a decent half against a good team — not something there's been a lot of this season. The team's physical limitations caught up i the second half with their 6-3 and 6-4 guards shooting over our 5-9 and 6-foot guards. Matt Dade killed the Raiders — will be glad to see the graduation of that young man. Casey engaged in his usual hysterical sideline antics. With the score tied at 5-5 at a timeout with more than 15 minutes left in the first half, he lined the MIllersville players up on the bench and could be heard yelling (in a voice that carried to the upper stands where I was sitting), "You guys suck." The guy can coach, but as Bugs Bunny used to say, "What a maroon."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

He was probably excited to see them play a decent half against a good team — not something there's been a lot of this season. The team's physical limitations caught up i the second half with their 6-3 and 6-4 guards shooting over our 5-9 and 6-foot guards. Matt Dade killed the Raiders — will be glad to see the graduation of that young man. Casey engaged in his usual hysterical sideline antics. With the score tied at 5-5 at a timeout with more than 15 minutes left in the first half, he lined the MIllersville players up on the bench and could be heard yelling (in a voice that carried to the upper stands where I was sitting), "You guys suck." The guy can coach, but as Bugs Bunny used to say, "What a maroon."
                      I caught the last 10 minutes. Ship gave a nice little push there on the offensive end but couldn't get any stops. When they got it to 6 I thought they had a shot.

How did your new big look? When I was watching it was raining the travelling Whippen Brother.

Comment

• The new guy, Hill, looked OK on defense at times, but did not have a good game. Didn't score, had some turnovers, and took some bad shots. I probably wasn't fair in my expectations for the kid as he really didn't much action at Niagara, so these past two games are really the first time he's seen extensive action in the college game. He isn't a seasoned transfer as we had with Hardy and Johnson in the past and will definitely require an adjustment period. He's also one of this new breed of big kids who likes to shoot from outside. He's a decent shooter, but with the makeup of our team Ship's team this season I'm not sure we need a 6-8 kid shooting from the perimeter. He is a coordinated big kid and has the potential to be a good contributor, but it might take a while.

Whippen was actually one of the bright spots of last night. For much of the season he has played tentatively around the basket. I'm not sure at times he realizes how good a player he could be. Last night he finally asserted himself, took it to the rack and multiple occasions, and I think had 16 points or somewhere around that.

Ship played well at times, especially in the first half. It certainly was an improvement over last week. But when Fite has to substitute this season he often ends up with lineups that just don't match up well. Millersville does not look like a world-beater, but they are a good team and will be a contender in the East. When Satchel Ball, one of Ship's few guards with length, got in foul trouble, the Raiders were caught in constant physical mismatches. Millersville's two guards, Faulkner and Waters, are both 6-4 and at times Ship was trying to guard them with 5-9 Ty Crespo and 5-10 Andrew Recchia. I lost count of how many times Faulkner and Waters either took it to the hoop or made jumpers over the heads of the Ship guards. Matt Dade is a well-built, 6-6 stud at forward for M-ville and Ship just has nobody to match with that kind of player. It was sort of a repeat of the IUP game when Brooks tore us up. Markus Frank is an offensive terror, but at this point does not have the frame to handle a kid such as Dade.

In summary, I think the new guy will adjust and help the team eventually, but at this point Ship is just not one of the better teams in the PSAC. The kids on the team are good guys and play hard, but just haven't had the horses at times. It's not enjoyable after the nice run of success we've had, but sometimes these things happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I appreciate the passion that many announcers have for the games they broadcast, but you have to have a different energy in regular season games as opposed to playoff games or rivalry games.
                          Says the guy that can't get players names right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                            The new guy, Hill, looked OK on defense at times, but did not have a good game. Didn't score, had some turnovers, and took some bad shots. I probably wasn't fair in my expectations for the kid as he really didn't much action at Niagara, so these past two games are really the first time he's seen extensive action in the college game. He isn't a seasoned transfer as we had with Hardy and Johnson in the past and will definitely require an adjustment period. He's also one of this new breed of big kids who likes to shoot from outside. He's a decent shooter, but with the makeup of our team Ship's team this season I'm not sure we need a 6-8 kid shooting from the perimeter. He is a coordinated big kid and has the potential to be a good contributor, but it might take a while.

Whippen was actually one of the bright spots of last night. For much of the season he has played tentatively around the basket. I'm not sure at times he realizes how good a player he could be. Last night he finally asserted himself, took it to the rack and multiple occasions, and I think had 16 points or somewhere around that.

Ship played well at times, especially in the first half. It certainly was an improvement over last week. But when Fite has to substitute this season he often ends up with lineups that just don't match up well. Millersville does not look like a world-beater, but they are a good team and will be a contender in the East. When Satchel Ball, one of Ship's few guards with length, got in foul trouble, the Raiders were caught in constant physical mismatches. Millersville's two guards, Faulkner and Waters, are both 6-4 and at times Ship was trying to guard them with 5-9 Ty Crespo and 5-10 Andrew Recchia. I lost count of how many times Faulkner and Waters either took it to the hoop or made jumpers over the heads of the Ship guards. Matt Dade is a well-built, 6-6 stud at forward for M-ville and Ship just has nobody to match with that kind of player. It was sort of a repeat of the IUP game when Brooks tore us up. Markus Frank is an offensive terror, but at this point does not have the frame to handle a kid such as Dade.

In summary, I think the new guy will adjust and help the team eventually, but at this point Ship is just not one of the better teams in the PSAC. The kids on the team are good guys and play hard, but just haven't had the horses at times. It's not enjoyable after the nice run of success we've had, but sometimes these things happen.
                            I'll say this about Hill. His offensive touches look like good ones for the most part. He just can't throw the ball in the ocean right now, and 26-foot jumpers are not the best use of his talents in the first place.

Comment

• 36 min 3/22 fg 2/12 3pt 5 reb 2 ast 2 t/o 5 fouls
                              Stat line at Joes place gets him a two story doghouse

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Says the guy that can't get players names right.
                                While you troll a guy living the dream!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X