Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

While you troll a guy living the dream!
    If being an announcer for ESU is your dream, then you have low standards!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship76 View Post
      36 min 3/22 fg 2/12 3pt 5 reb 2 ast 2 t/o 5 fouls
      Stat line at Joes place gets him a two story doghouse
      Joe can afford to put coordinated 6-8 kids in his doghouse. He has Ethan Porterfield. Ship cannot. I think the young man deserves a chance to adjust to the college game. Obviously, continued non-production leads to less playing time for any player.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

I'll say this about Hill. His offensive touches look like good ones for the most part. He just can't throw the ball in the ocean right now, and 26-foot jumpers are not the best use of his talents in the first place.
        He looks like he has the tools to be a productive player at our level. What I failed to take into account was that he wasn't a player such as Hardy or Johnson who came to Ship with two years of playing time against college level opponents. He didn't play much at all his freshman year at Niagara, so these past two games at Ship were really his first extensive action aince high school. I agree on the long jump shots. His high school career suggests he's capable of making long shots, but we're much better off letting our guards take most of the three-pointers. We've both remarked that we wish Andrew Recchia would take more. I though Hill forced a couple of his turnaround jumpers and he still has to learn that some of the stuff that worked in high school won't work here. After one rebound he tried a behind-the-back outlet pass that was immediately intercepted by Millersville and turned into two points. I think he needs to work a little on his upper body strength as well. He had at least 2-3 rebounds ripped away from him by the more burly Millersville forwards.

I liked Ship's defensive look in the first half with Hill and Whippen both in the lineup. I even thought I saw some zone principles on occasion, although that might have been a mirage knowing Coach Fite's dedication to man-to-man. I'm going to commit heresy and say I think we should be playing some zone at times this season. Millersville is not the only team we'll be facing with big guards, and that was largely the difference in the game Wednesday. I'm seen entire seasons where Ship didn't give up 90 points in a game, and I believe Wednesday was the sixth time we've done that this year. Unless you're playing a West Liberty/Gannon system, you're not going to win many games giving up 90 points.

Comment

• [QUOTE=IUPalum;n809971]

If being an announcer for ESU is your dream, then you have low standards![/QUOTE

Troll someone else. I also have a 38-year radio career. What have you got except words on a computer screen?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Joe can afford to put coordinated 6-8 kids in his doghouse. He has Ethan Porterfield. Ship cannot. I think the young man deserves a chance to adjust to the college game. Obviously, continued non-production leads to less playing time for any player.
            He was one stranded on Joe Island right now.

Dolan Waldo (6'7" forward) started opening night, took the first trey of the year and had his number called for the game-winning shot in the opener (he missed).

He's been rarely seen since Game 2 of the season.

Some question if his number was actually called for that shot, which could further explain his current doghouse role.

Comment

• I didn't see a minute of today's Ship loss to Kutztown. I hope Markus Frank wasn't hurt, but how he can play just 15 minutes, take just one shot and commit no fouls leaves my imagination with few other options.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                I didn't see a minute of today's Ship loss to Kutztown. I hope Markus Frank wasn't hurt, but how he can play just 15 minutes, take just one shot and commit no fouls leaves my imagination with few other options.
                I didn't see it either, but it would certainly look that way. I guess we'll find out soon enough. Also noticed in the box score that Recchia played only 11 minutes and Denzel Figueroa only 3. Mike Dunn has gone from scoring double figures in a couple of games not that long ago to scoreless in 10 minutes of action today. I can't figure this team out at all, and I'm not sure Chris Fite can, either. If Frank, their only steady scorer, is out for any length of time the last half of this season is going to be very long.

Comment

• ESU blew by West Chester on the road yesterday, which is something I don't think many people expected. They are getting production from all over the roster, and they still play enough solid defense to create havoc on their opposition. I'm impressed with how well the new players have blended with the veterans. Lock Haven comes to the Poconos on Wednesday night. Should be interesting!!

Comment

ESU blew by West Chester on the road yesterday, which is something I don't think many people expected. They are getting production from all over the roster, and they still play enough solid defense to create havoc on their opposition. I'm impressed with how well the new players have blended with the veterans. Lock Haven comes to the Poconos on Wednesday night. Should be interesting!!
                    At this point I think it's pretty clear the PSAC has (3) NCAA caliber teams (Gannon, ESU and Cal).

Cal is starting to scare me as they are just decimated with injuries.

On the right night, a WCU, IUP, Mercyhurst type could put a scare in to somebody in the tournament but not likely an actual threat.

Comment

ESU blew by West Chester on the road yesterday, which is something I don't think many people expected. They are getting production from all over the roster, and they still play enough solid defense to create havoc on their opposition. I'm impressed with how well the new players have blended with the veterans. Lock Haven comes to the Poconos on Wednesday night. Should be interesting!!
                      Millersville looks like the only other really solid team in the East. West Chester, Lock Haven, and Shepherd are Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde. The rest of the division is not good. As I said a couple of weeks back, not a top-drawer year for the East or the PSAC.

Comment

not a top-drawer year for the East or the PSAC.
                        It's interesting because I'm not sure it's really a top-drawer year in the MEC either. I wonder if this is the residual effect of all those COVID guys grabbing an extra year. A few of those are still around the region (Ethan at IUP, Korte using the extra year at WLU, etc.), but many of them have moved on. So perhaps we're seeing the impact of how difficult it was to recruit these last two recruiting classes without actually losing any graduates. It was probably difficult to get quality guys to commit knowing there weren't actually any open spots with no one graduating. Now, there were certainly transfer losses (that's a whole other discussion). But I wonder if a lot of teams having a down year is the predictable effect of rosters getting wonky during an unprecedented recruiting period. And I wonder if those rosters will get back to equilibrium once these last few COVID hangers-on have cleared out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

It's interesting because I'm not sure it's really a top-drawer year in the MEC either. I wonder if this is the residual effect of all those COVID guys grabbing an extra year. A few of those are still around the region (Ethan at IUP, Korte using the extra year at WLU, etc.), but many of them have moved on. So perhaps we're seeing the impact of how difficult it was to recruit these last two recruiting classes without actually losing any graduates. It was probably difficult to get quality guys to commit knowing there weren't actually any open spots with no one graduating. Now, there were certainly transfer losses (that's a whole other discussion). But I wonder if a lot of teams having a down year is the predictable effect of rosters getting wonky during an unprecedented recruiting period. And I wonder if those rosters will get back to equilibrium once these last few COVID hangers-on have cleared out.
                          That might be part of it at Ship. Our coach has built a good culture there and has never lost one of his top players to transfer, but that might actually have worked against him this year. We had a couple of guys staying for grad year, some transfers, and some redshirt freshmen who didn't get to develop during Covid year, and it kind of stacked up on the team. Basically the entire front line, including two All-PSAC East players, graduated last year, leaving us with a ton of guards and not much height. Teams that have had more turnover have brought a lot of new guys in, while all three of Ship's freshmen are redshirted this year. I'll be glad to see the last of the Covid exemption. I recently saw that between Covid and medical exemptions the quarterback at Utah, Cam Rising, will be returning for his seventh year there next season.

Comment

That might be part of it at Ship. Our coach has built a good culture there and has never lost one of his top players to transfer, but that might actually have worked against him this year. We had a couple of guys staying for grad year, some transfers, and some redshirt freshmen who didn't get to develop during Covid year, and it kind of stacked up on the team. Basically the entire front line, including two All-PSAC East players, graduated last year, leaving us with a ton of guards and not much height. Teams that have had more turnover have brought a lot of new guys in, while all three of Ship's freshmen are redshirted this year. I'll be glad to see the last of the Covid exemption. I recently saw that between Covid and medical exemptions the quarterback at Utah, Cam Rising, will be returning for his seventh year there next season.
                            Hope he has a doctorate. Jesus.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Hope he has a doctorate. Jesus.
                              There was actually a guy named George Barney Poole during the World War II era who played college football for eight years between 1941 and 1948. He attended Oie Miss in 1941 and 1942 before transferring to North Carolina on the wartime V-12 program in 1943. Instead of being called up, he received a commissions to West Point and played there in 1944 through 1946. He flunked out in 1947 a month before graduation. He returned to Mississippi for two more seaons because his time at West Point was considered military service and exempt from eligibility rules. He later played end for the New York Giants. It wasn't a surprise that Army had two of its all-time best teams in 1944 and 1945.

Comment

• Shippensburg has picked up a commitment from 6-5 guard Jaydon Smith of Carlisle High School.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X