Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Possible but wouldn't Fee have known that and perhaps stayed?
    I had that thought too. Either he’s retiring or they only liked Fee lol. Can’t imagine they’re all D1 bound

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post

I had that thought too. Either he’s retiring or they only liked Fee lol. Can’t imagine they’re all D1 bound
      Maybe they are otw Erie

Comment

Nova’s Dallas Graziani to the portal what’s going on down there?
        Not sure. He was Broward County 5A hs player of year (1.93 m people) and 1st team hs FL 5A all state. He may have opened some eyes of D1 coaches with his performance.

Comment

Add Nova’s Jake Maranville

I’m getting suspicious of a retirement
          He is from Ohio. Maybe joining Fee to get closer to home? Just speculation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

He is from Ohio. Maybe joining Fee to get closer to home? Just speculation.
            It's possible.

We've been discussing it on the IUP thread, but typically the head assistant does most of the recruiting. The HC swoops in at the end but the players usually have that first bond/connection with the assistant who recruited him.

Ron Fudala was really IUP's ace recruiter for four years and he left for a D2 HC job last year. Naturally, he's down in South Carolina and poaching WPIAL players (yet another dog at the bowl).

To leave Ft. Lauderdale for Erie's winters (and a total rebuild) ... you'd have to really like your old assistant. I did see Fee's first recruit is from Georgia so who knows.

Comment

• Seems like Sunahara is the only guy left. Crazy to see after winning a natty

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Wow! You answered your own question, dumbass!!!
                No I answered your question about why he hadn't entered the portal, your just too stupid to realize it!!!!

Comment

It's possible.

We've been discussing it on the IUP thread, but typically the head assistant does most of the recruiting. The HC swoops in at the end but the players usually have that first bond/connection with the assistant who recruited him.

Ron Fudala was really IUP's ace recruiter for four years and he left for a D2 HC job last year. Naturally, he's down in South Carolina and poaching WPIAL players (yet another dog at the bowl).

To leave Ft. Lauderdale for Erie's winters (and a total rebuild) ... you'd have to really like your old assistant. I did see Fee's first recruit is from Georgia so who knows.
                  While people love Ft Lauderdale, it may not be for everyone. "Home" has a tug on many people that they never seem to get over. Add in the guy that probably recruited you going to be the HC at a college close(ish) to home, and the attraction might be too much for him to ignore. I'm sure Fee called him within 30 seconds of hearing he was in the portal! Does all that mean he ends up at Gannon? No...But I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up there if no suitable D1 offer is forth coming.

It will be interesting to see how Crutch reloads if he does stay at Nova. I don't recall a mass exodus of quality players leaving when he was HC at WLU and similarly at Nova. He's typically been on the receiving end of transfer interest and has used them to fill small holes in his lineup. Also will be interesting now that he is without a proven primary recruiter. At Nova, he had Fee who had the recruiting contacts in Florida and clearly some in Ohio...at WLU he had Ben for the last large part of his tenure. Don't think he has been "the recruting guy" since early in his WLU tenure 20 years ago.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 04-25-2023, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

No I answered your question about why he hadn't entered the portal, your just too stupid to realize it!!!!
                    I never asked why he wasn’t in the portal, dumbass!!!

Comment

It could be they just went undefeated and won the last game of the season. Perhaps they feel nothing more to prove at D2 level and want to keep moving up.

That PG is a great D2 player. He is small, though (5'9"). We'll see how the D1 schools recruit him.
                      Yeah I think this is just the new world for D2 basketball. Throw in Covid giving guys about a decade of eligibility and it’s, to use a board favorite phrase, the perfect storm. Maybe when the Covid year aspect is no longer a factor, the crazy amount of transferring will settle down some, but I wouldn’t get too attached to any players from this point forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Yeah I think this is just the new world for D2 basketball. Throw in Covid giving guys about a decade of eligibility and it’s, to use a board favorite phrase, the perfect storm. Maybe when the Covid year aspect is no longer a factor, the crazy amount of transferring will settle down some, but I wouldn’t get too attached to any players from this point forward.
                        Yup, it's going to get harder for PSAC teams to hang on to standout studs such as Phil Alston in the future. You'll probably see most of them test the lower-level D1 waters as they are doing already. Glad I got to see Dustin Sleva's junior and senior years at Ship. I don't think that would happen today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

It is odd that it's just about May and there are literally hundreds of unsigned D2 transfers. I suspect rampant activity here in the coming weeks.

But, reality is likely setting in for many of them with 'moving up' aspirations. Once that window closes, all the sudden D2 doesn't look so bad anymore. There's only so many spots available in D1 basketball. Some of these players (I won't mention the name but he played at IUP last year) are going to a 'D1' school that would probably lose to most elite D2 teams.

The trickle-down ultimately falls to the high school level -- where less and less players are being signed because so many colleges are living off the transfer model. So, several will end up (for a time) in D2, develop, and then get out of Dodge.

IUP's last couple high school football classes were loaded with some kids they'd have never got even 5 years ago.

We saw it first-hand last year in basketball ... Armoni Foster leaving early was a killer. Again, I know they were 32-2, but they'd have been a whole lot different with him. If Cal was healthy last year and still had Alston, they may have won the national title. But, as you said, this is the new norm so we might as well get used to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I never asked why he wasn’t in the portal, dumbass!!!
                            Stupid comments like yours are probably a good reason that you should first read the thread your are jumping in on. The post I replied to asked why he had not yet entered the portal. You chose to jump in on that string and start blabering when you had no idea what was asked or what was being talked about. As the saying goes, never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. With that in mind, I am extracting myself from this pointless conversation. Hope you have a really great day.

Comment

It is odd that it's just about May and there are literally hundreds of unsigned D2 transfers. I suspect rampant activity here in the coming weeks.

But, reality is likely setting in for many of them with 'moving up' aspirations. Once that window closes, all the sudden D2 doesn't look so bad anymore. There's only so many spots available in D1 basketball. Some of these players (I won't mention the name but he played at IUP last year) are going to a 'D1' school that would probably lose to most elite D2 teams.

The trickle-down ultimately falls to the high school level -- where less and less players are being signed because so many colleges are living off the transfer model. So, several will end up (for a time) in D2, develop, and then get out of Dodge.

IUP's last couple high school football classes were loaded with some kids they'd have never got even 5 years ago.

We saw it first-hand last year in basketball ... Armoni Foster leaving early was a killer. Again, I know they were 32-2, but they'd have been a whole lot different with him. If Cal was healthy last year and still had Alston, they may have won the national title. But, as you said, this is the new norm so we might as well get used to it.
                              Cal wasn't winning a national championship this year with Alston. They went 16-14 this year without him. Great player and had a great stat line at Loyola Chicago, but they came in last in the A-10.

The problem is many of the situations are better in D1- the travel, stipend, amenities, etc. Attendance is the one area where the top 10-15 schools in Division II have a leg up on the bottom 100-125 schools in D1..

I don't agree with what Tomiwa decided, but they can point to the fact they beat Syracuse- IUP lost to them by 20. So it's hard to argue that IUP is clearly better than Bryant, when the one direct datapoint suggests the exact opposite.

I do think the lack of parity in Division II is a problem- IUP has had so many dud games the last few years. As a player, would you rather play Mansfield, Edinboro, Clarion? Or be in a tough game every night? The top of Division II is incredible, but there are a lot of teams without the talent to consistently compete, at least around here.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Cal wasn't winning a national championship this year with Alston. They went 16-14 this year without him. Great player and had a great stat line at Loyola Chicago, but they came in last in the A-10.

The problem is many of the situations are better in D1- the travel, stipend, amenities, etc. Attendance is the one area where the top 10-15 schools in Division II have a leg up on the bottom 100-125 schools in D1..

I don't agree with what Tomiwa decided, but they can point to the fact they beat Syracuse- IUP lost to them by 20. So it's hard to argue that IUP is clearly better than Bryant, when the one direct datapoint suggests the exact opposite.

I do think the lack of parity in Division II is a problem- IUP has had so many dud games the last few years. As a player, would you rather play Mansfield, Edinboro, Clarion? Or be in a tough game every night? The top of Division II is incredible, but there are a lot of teams without the talent to consistently compete, at least around here.
                                I said if Cal had Alston AND their two other starters who missed the whole season. That would have been a nasty team.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X