Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I don't get Cal getting the 2 over a conference champion with the same record.
    That is sort of a head scratcher.. As well as Concord getting 6! Possibly losing a 3rd time to Charleston.

Comment

I don't get Cal getting the 2 over a conference champion with the same record.
      Cal has better RPI and PI. Conference championships are not part of the seeding criteria.

Comment

• Hopefully missing out this year is the wake up call we needed to stop scheduling so many cupcakes during our non-conference schedule. Hard to really argue our lack of inclusion when we failed to win when it counted. Not often that a 25-5 year is disappointing, but when the schedule is a cakewalk it's easy to build up empty wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Cal has better RPI and PI. Conference championships are not part of the seeding criteria.
          I get it. It's just dumb. Cal got smacked today. Charleston won its league.

Oh well.

Comment

I hope the games are still scheduled one after another (even with two sites).
            Evening double header at both sites according to the bracket on NCAA.com.

Comment

• West Liberty is the only team returning from last year's regional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                West Liberty is the only team returning from last year's regional.
                A couple teams will be back next year. You can count on that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Evening double header at both sites according to the bracket on NCAA.com.
                  The split Regional sucks. Oh well. Is what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                    Didn't see that coming: both WVSU & Concord making it (no ESU or Lock Haven).

(And to add insult to injury, one of the brackets on NCAA.com accidentally misprinted the Atlantic 8 seed (which should be Lincoln) as Lock Haven. Ouch.)
                    I was surprised by WVSU, but at a closer look it does make sense. ESU’s non conference schedule was lacking. And unfortunately for them, what looked like a gauntlet of West division crossovers turned out, except for Gannon, to be several usually strong teams having down years. WVSU had a couple nice OOC wins and a number of strong wins in MEC play.

Lock Haven dug an early season hole they just couldn’t quite get out of with several losses to average at best teams. Then the late loss to Mansfield surely didn’t help. Beating ESU twice and Millersville once was nice, but wasn’t enough. They needed that Cal game, and that alone might not have even been enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                      Hopefully missing out this year is the wake up call we needed to stop scheduling so many cupcakes during our non-conference schedule. Hard to really argue our lack of inclusion when we failed to win when it counted. Not often that a 25-5 year is disappointing, but when the schedule is a cakewalk it's easy to build up empty wins.
                      You mentioned 25-5 being a disappointment.

I kept thinking about that when watching the selection show. There are teams with 8 losses HOSTING a Regional. Teams with 8 losses couldn't even sniff our regional let alone host it. There are teams with 10 & 11 losses in the tournament. Ten or 11 losses in the Atlantic would put you in about 15th place. At 25-5, ESU would be host material in about 5 of these Regions, but in the Atlantic, they're sitting at home. Crazy to think.

Comment

I kept thinking about that when watching the selection show. There are teams with 8 losses HOSTING a Regional. Teams with 8 losses couldn't even sniff our regional let alone host it. There are teams with 10 & 11 losses in the tournament. Ten or 11 losses in the Atlantic would put you in about 15th place. At 25-5, ESU would be host material in about 5 of these Regions, but in the Atlantic, they're sitting at home. Crazy to think.
                        I do wonder how much trouble Millersville could have been in had ESU pulled out that PSAC quarterfinal. I suspect they might have still been ok because the Gannon win in December would carry weight. Also they got what turned out to be a very good OOC win over Jefferson, who went on a late season tear to make the East regional. Without that, Millersville’s OOC schedule may have actually been worse than ESU’s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I was surprised by WVSU, but at a closer look it dHence, oes make sense. ESU’s non conference schedule was lacking. And unfortunately for them, what looked like a gauntlet of West division crossovers turned out, except for Gannon, to be several usually strong teams having down years. WVSU had a couple nice OOC wins and a number of strong wins in MEC play.

Lock Haven dug an early season hole they just couldn’t quite get out of with several losses to average at best teams. Then the late loss to Mansfield surely didn’t help. Beating ESU twice and Millersville once was nice, but wasn’t enough. They needed that Cal game, and that alone might not have even been enough.
                          Hence, ESU was over rated!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Hence, ESU was over rated!

In a tight region, it's real hard to make a case for a team bounced in Round 2. I had a feeling they were dead in the water Wednesday night.

Comment

How can you possibly compare when there’s zero context of the different schedules? The bottom 10-12 teams in the Atlantic Region are awful. Your Hiltoppers went a whopping 0-2 against other regions- Angelo State had 10 losses and got in as an 8 seed, and Dominican had 11 losses and missed the tournament. Going 25-5 and beating up on Kutztown and Bloomsburg, or in West Liberty’s case, Salem and West Virginia Wesleyan doesn’t mean anything. Looking at pure win/loss records, especially when you make a choice to play a dog**** nonconference schedule, is not a good indicator of how strong a team is.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

How can you possibly compare when there’s zero context of the different schedules? The bottom 10-12 teams in the Atlantic Region are awful. Your Hiltoppers went a whopping 0-2 against other regions- Angelo State had 10 losses and got in as an 8 seed, and Dominican had 11 losses and missed the tournament. Going 25-5 and beating up on Kutztown and Bloomsburg, or in West Liberty’s case, Salem and West Virginia Wesleyan doesn’t mean anything. Looking at pure win/loss records, especially when you make a choice to play a dog**** nonconference schedule, is not a good indicator of how strong a team is.

IUP was a perfect example. Joe played Concord (tournament team), St. Thomas Aquinas (tournament team and league champ) and Walsh (tournament team and league champ).

Lost all three this year. Probably could have won two of them. Had he played three meatballs things would have at least had a much different vibe coming down the stretch. And, in reality, this team needed to play three meatballs.

IUP lost to Gannon twice in the final minute and Cal twice in the final couple minutes.

Losses are losses, but, I agree. ESU played such a horrible schedule, and then went 1-5 against good teams. The resume just wasn't there despite the fancy record. They were no doubt the Kings of the B List, but, that doesn't do much for you on Selection Sunday.

The Atlantic was extremely thin on the top end this year. The middle had a slew of IUP types. The bottom had a ton of deadbeats.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X