Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by Number83 View Post
    ........ The biggest surprise to me was the point was made several times about the academic accomplishments. Do you think theses guys were brought in to bump up the team GPA, or do they have a shot to contribute on the field immediately?

Comment

Spring drills should be starting anytime here. What are some of the story lines that our esteemed roundtable will be following this spring?

I think the obvious headlining story should be Davis vs. Wilkerson with a shot to be the starting signal caller on the line.

I think there will be a lot of positional groups that will warrant a peek to see what is going on there.

Running backs- We found out last year they were not exactly the can't miss group everyone assumed as attrition took its toll on them. How does IUP412 practice squad MVP Duane Brown do? Does he bring his talents to full fruition? And as Number83 tells us---the frosh back could possibly emerge as a candidate for quality carries.

O-line- a bit of an off year for them. How do they re-group and reload?

D-line- should be better with a year of seasoning after all the losses from 2017.

Secondary- Should be an interesting group to monitor with a key return and a quality transfer added to the mix.

Punter- Ruiz will leave some big shoes to fill.

Coaching staff- will have to weather the storm come May when grades come out. Hopefully things go better than last year. Also a lot of heat on the OC after some suspect play-calling last year according to our roundtable.

It should make for a very exciting spring! Hopefully Tort will let us know when the scrimmages are before the spring game. Seemed like he was more transparent about such things in his first year when he had some magic happening.

-

Comment

Happy IUPaddy's

The show starts today

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
          Spring drills should be starting anytime here. What are some of the story lines that our esteemed roundtable will be following this spring?

I think the obvious headlining story should be Davis vs. Wilkerson with a shot to be the starting signal caller on the line.

I think there will be a lot of positional groups that will warrant a peek to see what is going on there.

Running backs- We found out last year they were not exactly the can't miss group everyone assumed as attrition took its toll on them. How does IUP412 practice squad MVP Duane Brown do? Does he bring his talents to full fruition? And as Number83 tells us---the frosh back could possibly emerge as a candidate for quality carries.

D-line- should be better with a year of seasoning after all the losses from 2017.

Secondary- Should be an interesting group to monitor with a key return and a quality transfer added to the mix.

Coaching staff- will have to weather the storm come May when grades come out. Hopefully things go better than last year. Also a lot of heat on the OC after some suspect play-calling last year according to our roundtable.

It should make for a very exciting spring! Hopefully Tort will let us know when the scrimmages are before the spring game. Seemed like he was more transparent about such things in his first year when he had some magic happening.

-
          I think you missed the obvious position issue. Wide receiver

JoJo and Dom McNeil back, maybe Zac Kelly, but he has been average at best. a few of the rest showed potential, maybe, but only 7 on the roster, which includes walkons.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

JoJo and Dom McNeil back, maybe Zac Kelly, but he has been average at best. a few of the rest showed potential, maybe, but only 7 on the roster, which includes walkons.
            WR should be the easiest to fill this summer with cast-offs and mercenaries.

No other position is more loaded on the transfer market than WR. They just don't get that damn ball enough and as a group transfer like crazy.

I've heard Kolbe Hughes could also be back.

Comment

Originally posted by Number83 View Post
              Hey All!

Now that Spring is here, just wanted to get the communities thought on the incoming class. Do you think any of the incoming Freshman could make an impact right away, or is it just a "get in line, work hard and wait your turn" scenario? My thoughts on a few of the kids that stood out, looking at their film:

Stone Shugarts - Recruit from GA. Legacy so the DNA is there. Look like he has room to bulk.
              Darrius Lloyd - Recruit from MD. Brother is on IUP. Not sure that's the right size to play LB, but might be prototype Safety if he has the speed.
              David Filippello - Recruit from Eastern PA. Looks big but still with room to add on his frame. A lot of his film was OL, and looked good. Curious that hes a DL Recruit.
              Adam Houser - Recruit from Shippensburg, of all places. A good get for IUP. Small, but fast and can break the big one. Could be impact from day 1.

The biggest surprise to me was the point was made several times about the academic accomplishments. Do you think theses guys were brought in to bump up the team GPA, or do they have a shot to contribute on the field immediately?
              Not saying this is a horrible recruiting class, but for the areas IUP need to fill on the playing field this coming season I just don't believe they have any incoming freshmen that can be an impact there. However, the past few years IUP has had bad luck in the books and health wise. So if that happens again at the RB position, then I believe Adam Houser could make an impact Day One, like you stated.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

-
                QB - That will be the big story during both Spring and Fall camps, which QB will step up, and to be honest this "could" include the mid-season transfer from Toledo.

RB - Barring injuries/academics, this should be a pretty strong group, especially with the return of Duane Brown. I wonder will they move one of the RBs (Anderson or Justice) to the Slot position?

WR - Would like to see any development from the reserve WRs, particularly FCS transfer Sobers and Zac Kelly, can they be trusted during games, or will they once again go out and find 1-2 1-year mercenaries.

OL - With the Malone University transfer coming in, it looks like the OL is set. But I would like to see if guys like McLean Djouha or Collin Pietropola has made any progress.

DL - Who will emerge as the replacement for Deandre Easterling ? Will they move Shockley back to DE or will guys like Qwamere Wright-Downing or Drake Puffenbarger developed into starting material.

LB - With both Damon Lloyd and Amedola being Seniors, they MUST start developing their replacements. Would like to see how far Joe Tortorella and Byron Williams has developed.

DB - We know what we have in Stevens, Makle, Shaq Jones and perhaps Streater. Just wonder who will standout from the group of 12 DBs for playing time.

Hopefully someone will finally provide some info via the football twitter account (quiet since early Feb) on Spring practice.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  WR should be the easiest to fill this summer with cast-offs and mercenaries.

No other position is more loaded on the transfer market than WR. They just don't get that damn ball enough and as a group transfer like crazy.

I've heard Kolbe Hughes could also be back.
                  If he comes back IUP should be a serious contender in the PSAC West.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I guess I figured that with Dom and JoJo entrenched as the starters they were okay there. But I agree they need depth there. Kolbe coming back would be huge!

-

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                      Not saying this is a horrible recruiting class, but for the areas IUP need to fill on the playing field this coming season I just don't believe they have any incoming freshmen that can be an impact there. However, the past few years IUP has had bad luck in the books and health wise. So if that happens again at the RB position, then I believe Adam Houser could make an impact Day One, like you stated.
                      My opinion is if you are ever relying on 'true' freshmen to solve problems ... you already have problems.

Those dudes haven't even been to their senior proms yet. Ideally you redshirt all of them. Physically maybe one will be ready. The jump is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                        If he comes back IUP should be a serious contender in the PSAC West.
                        Hughes is Done.....Juco transfer Harrison Dreher from Clairton will be threre in August

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          My opinion is if you are ever relying on 'true' freshmen to solve problems ... you already have problems.

Those dudes haven't even been to their senior proms yet. Ideally you redshirt all of them. Physically maybe one will be ready. The jump is huge.
                          Grant Smith mean anything to u. Was a star waiting to happen as a freshman...also Ayab Dyal would of contributed if not injured. Real sleeper this year for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post
                            Hughes is Done.....Juco transfer Harrison Dreher from Clairton will be threre in August

Dreher will do well but he's another McNeil (small at 5'9" and fast).

Comment

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post
                              Grant Smith mean anything to u. Was a star waiting to happen as a freshman...also Ayab Dyal would of contributed if not injured. Real sleeper this year for sure.
                              Yeah. Grant Smith was the 'one' I mentioned. Others and the would-be, could-be mean nothing.

Comment

I'm just saying you never want to be relying on the incoming class. If you are ... that likely means the classes ahead of this one had some failures.

Perfect world you reshirt them all. That world, however, doesn't exist anymore. Kids transfer on a whim today.

The other reality is the two teams we will battle (Cal, SRU) probably won't have many true freshmen in the lineup. Freshmen, by and large, aren't ready.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X