Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: IUP Football 2019

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    It's a loss but it's also an opportunity. Hopefully, the shoes will be filled with quality people.
    That is VERY true GroundHog, an opportunity for Coach Zacharias and the Francos coach/play at the next level, and an opportunity for others to fill the open IUP coaching positions. A win/win situation for all.

Comment

Briles is done in the States. That's about as firm a blackball that has ever been given. Deserved, by the way, too. He's a scum.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
        That is VERY true GroundHog, an opportunity for Coach Zacharias and the Francos coach/play at the next level, and an opportunity for others to fill the open IUP coaching positions. A win/win situation for all.
        Truth be told it's probably a positive. The secondary was a mess last year. That group was a circus on the sideline and their behavior was embarrassing. They need a strict coach who doesn't care about being their boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Truth be told it's probably a positive. The secondary was a mess last year. That group was a circus on the sideline and their behavior was embarrassing. They need a strict coach who doesn't care about being their boy.

Comment

Alright, football aficionados--- it's time for another fun-filled installment of "Buying and Selling at IUP." As always, buying of course means that you are agreeing with the statement and selling is that you are disagreeing. Let's jump right in and get started!

1. 2019 will represent a rebuilding year for IUP football.

2. Tort and the IUP coaching staff have a lot to prove in 2019 after a very subpar year last season.

3. Javon Davis and Yahmir Wilkerson will battle exclusively to become the starting IUP QB in 2019.

4. Academic casualty Duane Brown will make it back to have an impact on the IUP backfield in 2019.

5. WR JoJo Gause will emerge as an impact pass-catcher in 2019.

6. LB Damon Lloyd will have an All-American season in 2019.

Comment

1. 2019 will represent a rebuilding year for IUP football. Heck no. They have almost 80 percent of the starters back from last year and have the funds to supplement the rest with high-dollar mercenaries.

2. Tort and the IUP coaching staff have a lot to prove in 2019 after a very subpar year last season. Tort is 21-4 as a head coach. However, last year's 8-3 was seen by almost everybody as a disaster -- on the field and off. With the fan base at IUP and the resources given to the head coach -- 8-3 doesn't cut it (in particular when top players are sitting in the stands in academic trouble).

3. Javon Davis and Yahmir Wilkerson will battle exclusively to become the starting IUP QB in 2019. No. It's likely one leaves after Spring Ball.

4. Academic casualty Duane Brown will make it back to have an impact on the IUP backfield in 2019. Not only an impact, ... but a HUGE impact. He will be the best weapon in the entire offense next season -- both out of the backfield and also lined up in the slot. He's a D1 athlete playing D2. That will show this fall.

5. WR JoJo Gause will emerge as an impact pass-catcher in 2019. He already has. Look what happened to the IUP offense after he went down last season. It totally changed -- and not for the better.

6. LB Damon Lloyd will have an All-American season in 2019. Likely.

Comment

1. 2019 will represent a rebuilding year for IUP football. - Buy, despite the large number of returning starters, the change at QB will bring a change in the offense. What will they come up with to match the new QBs - what happens means the difference between 8-3 and 10-1 and 11-0

2. Tort and the IUP coaching staff have a lot to prove in 2019 after a very subpar year last season. -- Buy, it's true, 8-3 is not bad, but there is some accounting to be done for the difference in the team that beat Ashland, and the one that lost to Ship.

3. Javon Davis and Yahmir Wilkerson will battle exclusively to become the starting IUP QB in 2019. -- Sell, tort already said he is looking around. position is too important to rely on these two as your only choices.

4. Academic casualty Duane Brown will make it back to have an impact on the IUP backfield in 2019. - - Sell, I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. Consistency has not been there yet. We keep waiting, maybe its this year he will put it all together.

5. WR JoJo Gause will emerge as an impact pass-catcher in 2019. Buy, plus perhaps we can get a bit more of a possession passing game this year - its needed.

6. LB Damon Lloyd will have an All-American season in 2019. buy - hopefully he doesn't get senioritis like some others did. Having his brother on the team this year might help.

Comment

1. 2019 will represent a rebuilding year for IUP football: Sell - barring another bite from the academic bug, IUP brings back quite a few players from last year's team, to include players that were academically ineligible. And even with their starting QB graduating I believe they have enough to actually compete for the PSAC West, it just won't be easy.

2. Tort and the IUP coaching staff have a lot to prove in 2019 after a very subpar year last season: Buy - I thought the offensive play-calling was predictable and NOT creative. Defensive secondary did not look good most of the season, with only adjustments made at the CB positions. And when needed to make a stop the DL was getting manhandled or the OL were unable to get a push during goal line situations. That could fall on their strength and conditioning. So improvements from the coaching staff is a must, or they will take another step back.

3. Javon Davis and Yahmir Wilkerson will battle exclusively to become the starting IUP QB in 2019: Sell - They will battle this Spring, which should be interesting, but Coach Tort has already stated he's searching for a QB transfer. I am sure he will have someone by the time Fall camp rolls around.

4. Academic casualty Duane Brown will make it back to have an impact on the IUP backfield in 2019: Buy - Brown is the tough-yardage back that was missing last year. During his freshman year he was counted on to get those yards. He will deliver again this coming Fall, especially since there's no "Big backs" like Temple or Drew Harris around to steal the short-yardage reps. MY question is who will they move to play slot...Justice or Anderson?

5. WR JoJo Gause will emerge as an impact pass-catcher in 2019: Buy - Jo Jo will be a top option in the red zone, so I see him being more of a passing threat in the offense.

6. LB Damon Lloyd will have an All-American season in 2019: Sell - I hope I am incorrect, but in order for him to make the jump to All American status he needs to make more tackles in the backfield against the run as well as a better defender against the pass. I know the young man will work very hard this off season to get there, but he will need good DL play, particularly at the DT area, to allow him to penetrate the backfield more.
                  Last edited by ShoNuff; 02-20-2019, 02:42 PM.

Comment

The Spring Roster is out:

https://iupathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Notice a 3rd QB on the roster, a Jalen Reese from OH:

https://iupathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6143

He is listed as a Freshman, but my research suggest for a few years he was on the University of Toledo squad:

https://utrockets.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5851

Comment

Notice a 3rd QB on the roster, a Jalen Reese from OH: He is listed as a Freshman, but my research suggest for a few years he was on the University of Toledo squad:
                      https://utrockets.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5851
                      He had to have sat out the 2018 because the Toledo 2018 roster has him listed as being in his 5th year who never saw the field on game day?

Did not see game action.

Did not see game action.

Did not see game action.

Sat out season as a redshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                        He had to have sat out the 2018 because the Toledo 2018 roster has him listed as being in his 5th year who never saw the field on game day?

Did not see game action.

Did not see game action.

Did not see game action.

I checked the "Participation" section after each game and it shows him playing in every game:

https://utrockets.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=633

I am guessing he actually received a medical red shirt between 2015 - 2017.

Comment

I checked the "Participation" section after each game and it shows him playing in every game:

https://utrockets.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=633

I am guessing he actually received a medical red shirt between 2015 - 2017.
                          A three-year medical redshirt doesn't seem likely. He'd have to have burned some eligibility along the way, I would think.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I think the IUP roster is in error about Reese being a freshman. I know, "Thank you Captain obvious.............."

Good size at 6-3, with decent speed for the size.... 4.61 coming out of high school.

High school stats look pretty good. Being 6th on the Toledo 2017 pre-season depth chart does not. Looks like he had a token game appearance in 2018 - 1 rush for 5 yards.................

Based on the stats below, I predict Reese is in fact a red shirt senior or grad transfer with 1 or 2 years of eligibility remaining depending on how the NCAA calculates his 2015 & 2016 seasons.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
                            2018 Toledo MAC SR QB 1 1 5 5.0 0 0 0 0 1 5 5.0 0

Listed at No. 6 at quarterback in preseason depth chart.

Did not see game action.

Did not see game action.

High School
                            Second-team all-state, first-team all-district, first-team all-conference as a senior...Threw for 3,000 yards and 30 TDs...Second-team all-district, second-team all-conference as a junior...Played basketball for his father, JT Reese, in high school...High school coach was Choke Bradley.

Personal
                            Full name is Jalentory Reese...Parents are JT and Janice Reese...Dad played basketball at IUPUI and mom played volleyball at UT and Ohio State...Has a sister, Jeryn and a brother, Jakobe...Finance major.

Good zize at 6-3, with decent speed for the size.... 4.61 coming out of high school.

Comment

BTW, I now see that the game that Reese played in was a 66-3 win against Virginia Military Institute (VMI) - Toledo's first game of the season. Garbage time at the end of a blow out.

VMI is my oldest son's Alma mater. I have seen quite a few VMI football games, and they are mostly forgettable experiences. The pre-game activities on the other hand are excellent!

Comment

Hard to say on Mr. Toledo ... I can't imagine the staff would have brought in a tomato can. They must have saw something or know something.

Remember a year ago SRU had a 3rd string QB who hadn't played much in college .... Roland Rivers.

And, let's face it, the VAST majority of guys coming down to D2 are coming down because they don't see the field in D1. The others are usually scholars or criminals.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X