Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most interesting thing that could’ve happened has happened. Do Bama and Georgia both get in? Could they both get left out? What if Florida State finds a way to beat Louisville? Texas looks awfully good.

And I’m ready to watch my new favorite team, the Iowa Hawkeyes, pull off a 6-3 shocker over Michigan.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
      The most interesting thing that could’ve happened has happened. Do Bama and Georgia both get in? Could they both get left out? What if Florida State finds a way to beat Louisville? Texas looks awfully good.

And I’m ready to watch my new favorite team, the Iowa Hawkeyes, pull off a 6-3 shocker over Michigan.
      Over/Under is 8.5 lol

Comment

The most interesting thing that could’ve happened has happened. Do Bama and Georgia both get in? Could they both get left out? What if Florida State finds a way to beat Louisville? Texas looks awfully good.

All I know is that all but guarantees that Ohio State is out, which at this point is all I’m rooting for. There’s no way Michigan loses to Iowa. If Florida State loses, I think the final bid will go to Texas, and even Georgia still has an argument. Chaos!

Comment

• Lou-A-Vol defense playing incredible. Their offense is horrendous.

Comment

• Noles 3
            Louisville 0

Half

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Lou-A-Vol defense playing incredible. Their offense is horrendous.
              They lost to Pitt. How on earth did they only lose one other game?

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

All I know is that all but guarantees that Ohio State is out, which at this point is all I’m rooting for. There’s no way Michigan loses to Iowa. If Florida State loses, I think the final bid will go to Texas, and even Georgia still has an argument. Chaos!
                If the ACC game continues along like this, I’m not sure how anyone could argue that Florida State is one of the four best teams if they win. It really sucks Jordan Travis got hurt, but I don’t want to watch this team in the playoff.

Comment

If the ACC game continues along like this, I’m not sure how anyone could argue that Florida State is one of the four best teams if they win. It really sucks Jordan Travis got hurt, but I don’t want to watch this team in the playoff.
                  This is ugly. FSU better put up about 40 in second half if they want in the CFP.

As is, they'd get lit up.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This is ugly. FSU better put up about 40 in second half if they want in the CFP.

As is, they'd get lit up.
                    In the end I think they’re going to make it. Undefeated Power 5 conference champion. And at least their backup QB should be back in time for the playoff. Last spot comes down to Texas, Bama or Georgia.

Comment

• My opinion on how it should go combining recent and cumulative data:

1. Michigan
                      2. Washington
                      3. Texas
                      4. Alabama

How I think it’s going to go because of the “no undefeated Power 5 team has ever missed the field” thing:

1. Michigan
                      2. Washington
                      3. Texas
                      4. Florida State

Yes, I went with Texas because going into this week, the committee had them at 7 and Alabama at 8. I think that was their statement to say if Texas wins big they’re in, even if Alabama beats Georgia. I also think they wouldn’t mind the national outrage of NOT putting in the SEC champion.

I don’t think anyone can argue that Florida State has a playoff level defense. We’ll see a lot of those guys on Sunday. I just can’t see them scoring enough points to advance with their #2, and definitely not their #3 QB. That was ugly last night, and let’s not pretend Louisville is a defensive juggernaut. Florida State would be an underdog against Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, and Oregon if they were playing this week. To me, I don’t think they should get in despite how unfair it would feel because it’s the result of an injury.

For what it’s worth, here are who I feel are the best four teams in the country forgetting everything else:

1. Georgia (Saban is hard to beat in SEC championship)
                      2. Michigan
                      3. Texas
                      4. Alabama

4a. Ohio State
                      4b. Washington

Thank goodness for next year and the expanded field because if you’re arguing over the #12 and #13 teams getting in it’s just not the same.
                      Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 12-03-2023, 05:53 AM.

Comment

My opinion on how it should go combining recent and cumulative data:

1. Michigan
                        2. Washington
                        3. Texas
                        4. Alabama

How I think it’s going to go because of the “no undefeated Power 5 team has ever missed the field” thing:

1. Michigan
                        2. Washington
                        3. Texas
                        4. Florida State

Yes, I went with Texas because going into this week, the committee had them at 7 and Alabama at 8. I think that was their statement to say if Texas wins big they’re in, even if Alabama beats Georgia. I also think they wouldn’t mind the national outrage of NOT putting in the SEC champion.

I don’t think anyone can argue that Florida State has a playoff level defense. We’ll see a lot of those guys on Sunday. I just can’t see them scoring enough points to advance with their #2, and definitely not their #3 QB. That was ugly last night, and let’s not pretend Louisville is a defensive juggernaut. Florida State would be an underdog against Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, and Oregon if they were playing this week. To me, I don’t think they should get in despite how unfair it would feel because it’s the result of an injury.

For what it’s worth, here are who I feel are the best four teams in the country forgetting everything else:

2. Michigan
                        3. Texas
                        4. Alabama

4a. Ohio State
                        4b. Washington

Thank goodness for next year and the expanded field because if you’re arguing over the #12 and #13 teams getting in it’s just not the same.
                        I agree, I believe Texas gets in. If you just look at them, Georgia and Bama, Georgia has the weakest resume and is the only one of the three who doesn’t have a win over one of the others. Then it has to come down to Texas winning head to head at Bama. If Texas doesn’t get in it sends a message that that game didn’t matter and there’s no reason for teams to schedule OOC games like it in the future.

While I’m not looking forward to seeing Florida State in the playoff, they did everything they were supposed to. The resume is solid. They’ll have a month to prepare QB2 and I wouldn’t count out that defense.

Comment

My opinion on how it should go combining recent and cumulative data:

1. Michigan
                          2. Washington
                          3. Texas
                          4. Alabama

1. Michigan
                          2. Washington
                          3. Texas
                          4. Florida State

2. Michigan
                          3. Texas
                          4. Alabama

4a. Ohio State
                          4b. Washington

My feeling is pretty well documented that I actually never was a fan of the playoff in general (most games haven't been competitive in the playoff). I am even further against the expansion. I understand why both things happened (money rules and dictates a lot). This truly is the first year where there are more than 4 teams who you can argue for getting in. It hasn't been like this before.

Objectively, I feel like Washington and Michigan are the two best teams in the country. In the former BCS era, that would be the title game. And despite all of the other teams out there, nobody would argue. You would be debating Michigan, Washington, and Florida State as the 3 unbeatens. Michigan has the recency bias working for them, having beaten two top ten teams in the final 3 weeks of the regular season. Washington has more top 25 wins than anyone in the country and played in the best conference top to bottom all season.

I feel for Florida State. They are deserving. They are a great team. I hope they make it because they went undefeated in a P5 league. This is just so different than when Ohio State was down to their 3rd string QB in 2015. That team beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big Ten championship game. You cannot make an argument to compare either situation. Losing Jordan Travis was just a tough blow for them.

Comment

• I know that much of what I'm about to say will be as meaningless as the regular season, conference championships, and rivalry game results next season with the expanded playoff...

The situation between Bama and Texas is just so scary. If one of those teams get in and not the other, or if neither get in, or whatever other scenario pops up, what exactly does that tell teams in terms of scheduling out of conference games? If Texas doesn't get in, why would any team ever actually go out and schedule a legitimate non-conference game. Alabama's 1 loss is to a Texas team that won the Big 12 and is a strong candidate for a playoff bid. If they get left out, how much does strength of schedule actually play into the discussion for who gets in?

Fans should want intriguing non-conference games like Alabama and Texas. There's schools like Penn State who have little interest in playing an in-state P5 rival like Pitt. How this gets handled likely plays a huge factor in how programs plan to schedule games out of conference in the near future.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

My feeling is pretty well documented that I actually never was a fan of the playoff in general (most games haven't been competitive in the playoff). I am even further against the expansion. I understand why both things happened (money rules and dictates a lot). This truly is the first year where there are more than 4 teams who you can argue for getting in. It hasn't been like this before.

Objectively, I feel like Washington and Michigan are the two best teams in the country. In the former BCS era, that would be the title game. And despite all of the other teams out there, nobody would argue. You would be debating Michigan, Washington, and Florida State as the 3 unbeatens. Michigan has the recency bias working for them, having beaten two top ten teams in the final 3 weeks of the regular season. Washington has more top 25 wins than anyone in the country and played in the best conference top to bottom all season.

I feel for Florida State. They are deserving. They are a great team. I hope they make it because they went undefeated in a P5 league. This is just so different than when Ohio State was down to their 3rd string QB in 2015. That team beat Wisconsin 59-0 in the Big Ten championship game. You cannot make an argument to compare either situation. Losing Jordan Travis was just a tough blow for them.
                              Not that it matters, but I think Bama would beat FSU by four scores right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I don’t know about that. The first playoff had a contested spot for the 4th team between OSU, TCU, and Baylor which ended in OSU’s favor based off of some combo of having an extra win, being sole conference champ, and the last-week beating they gave Wisconsin. 2017 saw an undefeated UCF squad left out in favor of a qualitatively quite good Alabama team with a pretty flimsy résumé (not a conference champ and their best wins were a pair of 8-4 teams). 2020 saw a Notre Dame team that actually had an okay résumé but probably wasn’t qualitatively one of the four best and got pasted by Clemson in their ACC championship game rematch picked over undefeated Cincy. Subjectively I think the CFP has gotten it right more often than not (I personally feel the 2017 Bama pick was defensible but the 2020 Notre Dame pick was less so) but I don’t think you can say every decision has been easy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X