Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

This is all completely out of hand. There have been a lot of headlines like this lately. I wonder if at some point we will see legislative hearings on this issue.
    Did you see the Frank Reich situation?

Fired as the Colts head coach. Then fired as the Panthers head coach. The terms of both deals will still pay him regardless of whether he gets another job. So Frank Reich is literally collecting money from two NFL teams to NOT be their head coach. LOL

Comment

This is all completely out of hand. There have been a lot of headlines like this lately. I wonder if at some point we will see legislative hearings on this issue.
      At the FBS level, it almost always is coming from external money not costing the school much if anything. But a contract is a contract and these schools are the ones offering. Its weird how there are no standard terms for contract length. Coaches sign a 3 year extension and 2 years later are getting bought out. WHY DID THEY OFFER AN EXTENSION?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

At the FBS level, it almost always is coming from external money not costing the school much if anything. But a contract is a contract and these schools are the ones offering. Its weird how there are no standard terms for contract length. Coaches sign a 3 year extension and 2 years later are getting bought out. WHY DID THEY OFFER AN EXTENSION?
        Ryan Day losing 3 in a row to Michigan ... perfect example. They want him gone in Columbus despite his immaculate record there.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ryan Day losing 3 in a row to Michigan ... perfect example. They want him gone in Columbus despite his immaculate record there.
          Yet Jim Harbaugh lost his first couple to OSU, and his bowl record is horrible, yet he's now a God in Michigan because of those three wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

It's one thing for Delaware to want the Sun Belt; it's another thing entirely for the Sun Belt to want them. The SBC is in a good spot with their 14 teams, and doesn't need to add a good-not-great Delaware program. So if Delaware wanted FBS, C-USA might've been their only option.

I actually think that the MAC would have benefitted from adding both Delaware and UMass and establishing their footprint further east. But they seem content with the teams they have.
            UMass was already in the MAC once and it didn’t work out. They went something like 2-25 in conference and left after 4 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

UMass was already in the MAC once and it didn’t work out. They went something like 2-25 in conference and left after 4 years.
              The MAC is no Power 5 conference, but it's tougher than a lot of people realize.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Fired as the Colts head coach. Then fired as the Panthers head coach. The terms of both deals will still pay him regardless of whether he gets another job. So Frank Reich is literally collecting money from two NFL teams to NOT be their head coach. LOL
                …and he could get hired by the Eagles as some sort of assistant as Sirianni was on Reich’s staff in Indy.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

I mean, what UMass really needs to do is move back to FCS. But that's not going to happen, and independence has proven unsustainable. If UMass and UDel are treated as a package deal, the MAC is more attractive than C-USA. Without UDel, UMass is an outlier in any conference.

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The MAC is no Power 5 conference, but it's tougher than a lot of people realize.
                  Eh. Maybe once upon a time. It's stagnated and now finds itself clearly behind the AAC, MWC, and SBC in the G5 pecking order. TBD on what happens with the MWC and the OSU/WSU pair. The average MAC team is better than the average C-USA team... for now.

Comment

It’s not helping Day’s cause that he doesn’t know how to behave himself and he’s one of the biggest jacka$$es in college football. It was funny how OSU fans embraced his abrasive style, but now that he’s lost to Michigan three times in a row it’s in the conversation about why he has to go.

Comment

I think I’m just jealous! I’d take that money and never be seen or heard from again.

Comment

I think I’m just jealous! I’d take that money and never be seen or heard from again.
                        What's even better is they get these buyouts and then the networks have bidding wars over them for the endless pregame and post-game shows. Even more money and zero stress.

Comment

It’s not helping Day’s cause that he doesn’t know how to behave himself and he’s one of the biggest jacka$$es in college football. It was funny how OSU fans embraced his abrasive style, but now that he’s lost to Michigan three times in a row it’s in the conversation about why he has to go.
                          I've said repeatedly that he tried the Urban Meyer shtick, but it just doesn't work for him. I don't actually think that's Day's real personality. His first year he wasn't like this. A switch flipped before the Michigan game where he blasted a reporter for saying "Michigan" at his weekly press conference. The reception of that comment in OSU land was great, and he won against Harbaugh that year, so he took that persona and ran with it. I think Meyer was a first rate jagoff too, but he never was as abrasive as Day when coaching Ohio State.

I saw Harbaugh's comments about how forced and manufactured that rivalry is. I honestly believe that. You see players on the field laughing and joking with each other before, during, and after the game. The rivalry and hatred is mostly with the people sitting in the crowd. The stuff that Day's done the last three years, all in eventual losses to Michigan, are cringeworthy. Although he was much quieter in the leadup to the game this year.

Comment

I've said repeatedly that he tried the Urban Meyer shtick, but it just doesn't work for him. I don't actually think that's Day's real personality. His first year he wasn't like this. A switch flipped before the Michigan game where he blasted a reporter for saying "Michigan" at his weekly press conference. The reception of that comment in OSU land was great, and he won against Harbaugh that year, so he took that persona and ran with it. I think Meyer was a first rate jagoff too, but he never was as abrasive as Day when coaching Ohio State.

I saw Harbaugh's comments about how forced and manufactured that rivalry is. I honestly believe that. You see players on the field laughing and joking with each other before, during, and after the game. The rivalry and hatred is mostly with the people sitting in the crowd. The stuff that Day's done the last three years, all in eventual losses to Michigan, are cringeworthy. Although he was much quieter in the leadup to the game this year.
                            I think most rivalries are more heated on boards like these and in the media than they are in reality. It makes for a good jab on here and a juicy story in the paper.

I said that about IUP/Rock this year and got blasted. How heated is it when players hang after the game lol?

There are certainly rivalry games but this life or death stuff is way overblown. Harbaugh was just the first to say it.

Comment

I think most rivalries are more heated on boards like these and in the media than they are in reality. It makes for a good jab on here and a juicy story in the paper.

I said that about IUP/Rock this year and got blasted. How heated is it when players hang after the game lol?

There are certainly rivalry games but this life or death stuff is way overblown. Harbaugh was just the first to say it.
                              I could have some bias to my statement because I only hear it in Columbus, but I do feel like the rivalry rings louder in Ohio than in Michigan. If you told me that I would go 11-1 every year, at minimum. And my 1 loss could occur in the final week of the season playing Michigan with an opportunity to clinch a CFP berth, I would sign in blood for that every time. That's essentially where Ohio State is at right now. There's not another program in their stratosphere in the B1G other than Michigan. Penn State was close for a while, but not currently.

I truly believe that people in Columbus would be okay with going 6-6 every year, so long as they beat Michigan annually. They are that "loud" about this rivalry. Now, when the rubber meets the road, I doubt they would really be okay with that, but you see my point.

Comment

The manner in which Meyer acted while coaching OSU, and now Day... Both guys were very weird in their approach to it. Weird is the only word I can use to describe it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X