Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RMU slinks back to the NEC as an associate member for football. The Big South move was a disaster.

The release reads like Bernard Clark is remaining on the job. This might be a rare offseason with no head coach turnover.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      RMU slinks back to the NEC as an associate member for football. The Big South move was a disaster.
      Perhaps, but I think the Horizon is a good place for them for all-sports. The NEC needed this move just as much as RMU, they were at risk of losing their FCS autobid after Merrimack and Sacred Heart jumped ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I've said repeatedly that he tried the Urban Meyer shtick, but it just doesn't work for him. I don't actually think that's Day's real personality. His first year he wasn't like this. A switch flipped before the Michigan game where he blasted a reporter for saying "Michigan" at his weekly press conference. The reception of that comment in OSU land was great, and he won against Harbaugh that year, so he took that persona and ran with it. I think Meyer was a first rate jagoff too, but he never was as abrasive as Day when coaching Ohio State.

I saw Harbaugh's comments about how forced and manufactured that rivalry is. I honestly believe that. You see players on the field laughing and joking with each other before, during, and after the game. The rivalry and hatred is mostly with the people sitting in the crowd. The stuff that Day's done the last three years, all in eventual losses to Michigan, are cringeworthy. Although he was much quieter in the leadup to the game this year.
        The fact that the states of Meatchicken and Ohio mock each other is humorous when they both suck.

:-)

Comment

I could have some bias to my statement because I only hear it in Columbus, but I do feel like the rivalry rings louder in Ohio than in Michigan.
          I agree with this. People in Columbus are borderline sick when it comes to the Buckeyes. Michigan fans care about it, but it’s not the same. If there ever was a cult following for college football, it’s Ohio State. I have many acquaintances who are fans of SEC teams, and Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn specifically. They love their teams but they're reasonable. Ohio State fans are not reasonable.

Comment

• Washington State QB in portal ... Currently has (10) offers -- all at or above $1m.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I agree with this. People in Columbus are borderline sick when it comes to the Buckeyes. Michigan fans care about it, but it’s not the same. If there ever was a cult following for college football, it’s Ohio State. I have many acquaintances who are fans of SEC teams, and Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn specifically. They love their teams but they're reasonable. Ohio State fans are not reasonable.
              I lived in Columbus for a little bit. You are spot on, they are a lunatic fan base. One of the few fan bases where you can't even have a conversation without getting a migraine. Absolutely unreasonable and delusional at all times.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

SEC fans are reasonable? I lived in SEC country for several years and must have run into a different bunch than you have.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I mean, what UMass really needs to do is move back to FCS. But that's not going to happen, and independence has proven unsustainable. If UMass and UDel are treated as a package deal, the MAC is more attractive than C-USA. Without UDel, UMass is an outlier in any conference.

Eh. Maybe once upon a time. It's stagnated and now finds itself clearly behind the AAC, MWC, and SBC in the G5 pecking order. TBD on what happens with the MWC and the OSU/WSU pair. The average MAC team is better than the average C-USA team... for now.
                  Well, they pretty obviously were too tough for UMass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

SEC fans are reasonable? I lived in SEC country for several years and must have run into a different bunch than you have.
                    SEC football and NASCAR

Not much else matters down there.

Comment

Well, they pretty obviously were too tough for UMass.
                      I think UMass should have remained FCS. Nothing against them but its not working. It wouldn't affect any other sport unless they can get into an FBS conference as a full member. They just don't have the academic profile or athletic success to get into the ACC.

Comment

I think it's how you approach the entire conversation. I've been in SEC stadiums, and also went to a Pitt game in Knoxville. I had a fantastic experience going to the Pitt game in Neyland Stadium. The Tennessee fans were some of the nicest folks I ever interacted with at a sporting event.

Most believe they are already better than everyone else in football, so they tend to not take on much aggression in the conversation (when it comes to talking to other fans). My good friend is a Georgia fan and lives in the south. He goes to a game somewhere every year. Has nothing but good things to say about his interactions with other SEC fans in opposing stadiums. But again, they think they are already better than everyone else anyways. So if Georgia beats Auburn on the road, the War Eagle fans will wish the Dawgs wearing spiked shoulder pads luck and ask them to beat Bama in Atlanta for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I lived in Columbus for a little bit. You are spot on, they are a lunatic fan base. One of the few fan bases where you can't even have a conversation without getting a migraine. Absolutely unreasonable and delusional at all times.
                          Delusional is the right word. Dealing with these folks on the daily is brutal. That said, it's certainly a quiet week here given that Michigan humbled them again.

Comment

• The number of 'starting' P5 QBs with eligibility remaining entering the portal is staggering.

It used to be the goal was to get the job. Now the goal is to start and bail (enter open-bidding free agency).

Can't blame the players at all. Making seven figures to play college football is pretty sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              The number of 'starting' P5 QBs with eligibility remaining entering the portal is staggering.

It used to be the goal was to get the job. Now the goal is to start and bail (enter open-bidding free agency).

Can't blame the players at all. Making seven figures to play college football is pretty sweet.
                              You may laugh at this, but I do wonder when the NFL manages to step into this. There are going to be players making significantly more money playing college football than they will make early in their NFL career, specifically when they aren’t a 1st round pick considering how they slot pool each draft choice and the associated rookie contract.

All of these QBs “supposedly” making 1 million bucks - let’s be real clear on “supposedly,” because there is a website that tracks market value and what each player is “worth,” and those numbers are way lower than what you hear “reported” by the talking heads on Twitter - will make more money next year than most drafted rookie quarterbacks. I believe Brock Purdy is making like 300k. Phil Jurkovec supposedly made that at Pitt in NIL deals. Think about that.

On one hand, this keeps players in college longer. On the other hand, imagine the headache this is eventually going to cause the NFL. The players in the league already say they are underpaid, running backs want to form a separate union, players want to be the owners too, etc.

Comment

You may laugh at this, but I do wonder when the NFL manages to step into this. There are going to be players making significantly more money playing college football than they will make early in their NFL career, specifically when they aren’t a 1st round pick considering how they slot pool each draft choice and the associated rookie contract.

All of these QBs “supposedly” making 1 million bucks - let’s be real clear on “supposedly,” because there is a website that tracks market value and what each player is “worth,” and those numbers are way lower than what you hear “reported” by the talking heads on Twitter - will make more money next year than most drafted rookie quarterbacks. I believe Brock Purdy is making like 300k. Phil Jurkovec supposedly made that at Pitt in NIL deals. Think about that.

On one hand, this keeps players in college longer. On the other hand, imagine the headache this is eventually going to cause the NFL. The players in the league already say they are underpaid, running backs want to form a separate union, players want to be the owners too, etc.
                                I always thought there should be an age limit for players able to be in the NFL..like 22.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X