• Show
Clear All

• For what it’s worth, the AP poll just came out

1 Michigan
    2 Washington
    3 Texas
    4 Florida State

Comment

• The See Everyone Cheat Conference isn’t entitled to jack ****. Jawja lost and that is the consequences. Undefeated teams who won their conference should not be punished.

Comment

• Alabama got in over FSU. Sucks for FSU but they took the four best teams right now.

Comment

• If you’re picking the best four, it’s hard to argue what the committee did. I feel bad for Florida State but anyone watching that team the last couple weeks with an open mind would tell you they’re not one of the best four teams in the country. They might not even be top 10 right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
            Alabama got in over FSU. Sucks for FSU but they took the four best teams right now.
            It’s outrageous.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s outrageous.
              It's not if they are putting the four best teams in.

Alabama would slaughter FSU right now.

It's another sign what they think of the ACC.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s outrageous.
                I wouldn’t say that. If the goal is to put the four best teams in, I don’t think you can argue that Florida State belongs without their quarterback. I do feel really bad for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don’t necessarily think this is an indictment of the ACC. If Jordan Travis is healthy and FSU looks the part these last two weeks, I think they’d be in.

Comment

Not at all sure Alabama is better than Oregon or Ohio State right now. I guess we'll find out if Washington gets hammered in the playoff. Michigan will probably try to win without passing and get beaten again. Harbag has been a terrible bowl coach. This fiasco is the perfect illustration of why the 12-team playoff is needed. You cannot leave an unbeaten P5 championship team out of the playoff. Texas beating Alabama screwed the selection committee because there was no way they could jump Alabama into the mix without including Texas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I wouldn’t say that. If the goal is to put the four best teams in, I don’t think you can argue that Florida State belongs without their quarterback. I do feel really bad for them.
                      Alabamastan barely beat Auburn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Not at all sure Alabama is better than Oregon or Ohio State right now. I guess we'll find out if Washington gets hammered in the playoff. Michigan will probably try to win without passing and get beaten again. Harbag has been a terrible bowl coach. This fiasco is the perfect illustration of why the 12-team playoff is needed. You cannot leave an unbeaten P5 championship team out of the playoff. Texas beating Alabama screwed the selection committee because there was no way they could jump Alabama into the mix without including Texas.
                        Agree with you for three reasons:

1) ANYTHING can happen any game.

2) There's no point in differentiating P5 & G5 if you're not going to include an undefeated P5 champion.

3) Really there should just be a full playoff with no less than 12 teams where conference champions get automatic bids and some bullsh*t committee can decide on who else participates and how they're seeded.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

I don’t know about that. The first playoff had a contested spot for the 4th team between OSU, TCU, and Baylor which ended in OSU’s favor based off of some combo of having an extra win, being sole conference champ, and the last-week beating they gave Wisconsin. 2017 saw an undefeated UCF squad left out in favor of a qualitatively quite good Alabama team with a pretty flimsy résumé (not a conference champ and their best wins were a pair of 8-4 teams). 2020 saw a Notre Dame team that actually had an okay résumé but probably wasn’t qualitatively one of the four best and got pasted by Clemson in their ACC championship game rematch picked over undefeated Cincy. Subjectively I think the CFP has gotten it right more often than not (I personally feel the 2017 Bama pick was defensible but the 2020 Notre Dame pick was less so) but I don’t think you can say every decision has been easy.
                          There has not ever been a situation where you had this many teams with 0-1 loss teams at the end. It's a unique situation, made even more unique because of the situation with Jordan Travis' injury for Florida State. I agree that they've mostly gotten it right.

This was going to go one of two ways today and there could have been a justifiable outrage regardless of which direction it went.

All those other years you mentioned were situations where you are basically splitting hairs between teams for the final spot. This is the only year where you had what you had following the conference championship.

Comment

If FSU wins that game 36-6 they are in the playoff and the SEC probably gets left out of the playoff. I don't think it's a referendum on the ACC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I just don't know what we're asking for with this expanded playoff. Consider what the bracket would look like, who would get in, where they would be seeded, etc.

Oregon had two shots to beat Washington and play their way in. They failed both times. What's the reward for Washington in that situation? To likely play a 3rd game against Oregon that they could lose? Almost impossible to beat a great team 3 times in a year.

Penn State would get in. Their resume is that they beat Iowa. They had the opportunity to play their way in and prove who they were against Ohio State and Michigan. They lost both games.

Same for Ohio State. The Michigan-Ohio State game WAS a playoff game. What reward is it for Michigan for winning if you grant OSU a rematch on a neutral field which the Buckeyes probably win?

The SEC title game WAS a playoff game.

These conversations are held, and ultimately settled, during a 12-game regular and conference championship weekend. Games are supposed to matter. The regular season is supposed to matter. Winning your conference is supposed to matter. The more and more we clamor for expanding the playoff because we want to make sure everybody who looked good should get in, the more we devalue what is supposed to be very meaningful and unique to college football.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I just don't know what we're asking for with this expanded playoff. Consider what the bracket would look like, who would get in, where they would be seeded, etc.

Oregon had two shots to beat Washington and play their way in. They failed both times. What's the reward for Washington in that situation? To likely play a 3rd game against Oregon that they could lose? Almost impossible to beat a great team 3 times in a year.

Penn State would get in. Their resume is that they beat Iowa. They had the opportunity to play their way in and prove who they were against Ohio State and Michigan. They lost both games.

Same for Ohio State. The Michigan-Ohio State game WAS a playoff game. What reward is it for Michigan for winning if you grant OSU a rematch on a neutral field which the Buckeyes probably win?

The SEC title game WAS a playoff game.

These conversations are held, and ultimately settled, during a 12-game regular and conference championship weekend. Games are supposed to matter. The regular season is supposed to matter. Winning your conference is supposed to matter. The more and more we clamor for expanding the playoff because we want to make sure everybody who looked good should get in, the more we devalue what is supposed to be very meaningful and unique to college football.
                                Well, Florida State won every game they played, so apparently the regular season didn't matter for them. They basically were kept home by the dreaded "eye test." They beat a ranked team playing a third-string true freshman QB. Oregon lost to Washington twice, but who at this point is to say that they're not in the category of some of the playoff teams? Why is Ohio State's loss to Michigan apparently worse than Alabama's loss to Georgia? I certainly don't think a 12-team playoff is going to ruin D1 football as we know it. And maybe we'll get to watch someone else other than the usual football factory suspects play for a championship once in a while.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X