X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHIP72
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

So (Frank Cignetti is) going to Fake Indiana University.
    I was wondering if IUPNation would call that other Indiana University "fake Indiana" or something like that. He didn't disappoint!

I'm proud of you of IUP Nation! :D

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Holy Cross could certainly draw the attention of some D2 coaches this cycle.
    Doesn't a Holy Cross try to stay within the private school realm?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Yeah especially the one in Clinton County.

I honestly don't think Clements leaves for anything outside SEPA, and that leaves very little room for him to improve his situation. If only there were a D1 or D2 coaching vacancy closer than his current hour commute.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    IU took Shanahan as OC.

JMU is hiring Holy Cross HC Bob Chesney, a guy from Mt Carmel area. He made Assumption a competitive D2 program before going to Holy Cross.
    Word is Curt is taking several of his star players with him to Bloomington.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    IU took Shanahan as OC.

JMU is hiring Holy Cross HC Bob Chesney, a guy from Mt Carmel area. He made Assumption a competitive D2 program before going to Holy Cross.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    IU took Shanahan as OC.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    The Jacksonville Jaguars will now be forced out of any playoff field due to the unavailability of their QB Martina Navratilova Lawrence.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• TheBigCat2192
    replied

Ultimately I think that is correct. FSU failed the eye test against Louisville and it cost them big time.
    Alabama failed the win/loss test against Texas. It should have cost them bigger time. Also worth noting that Bama and FSU actually played a common opponent during regular season in LSU and FSU beat ‘em worse than Bama did.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Oklahoma QB in portal

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Florida State being left out is what it is. I won my bet for them NOT to make it on Draft Kings. But I was hoping they would get in. This was an unprecedented and unfortunate situation on a lot of levels. In the old BCS system, there were scenarios where more than two undefeated teams existed. And the computers used a formula to objectively rank the teams before the final selection process. As I mentioned, in that format, Washington and Michigan would’ve gotten in with minimal arguments.

I generally believe things are relative, but I don’t believe D2 to D1 is comparable in this case. Different scholarship maximums. Each school fundraising and paying for different equivalencies. It’s not the same in the sense where every D1 school has 85 scholarships.

You also aren’t recognizing that while these mega tv deals may be giving more teams access to more money, the elitest of the elite are getting the same chunk given to them as well. Nothing is changing. I’m also not entirely sure that this encourages teams to schedule tougher, especially as conferences expand. It’ll just be about winning as many games as you possibly can. And teams will schedule lesser weights in an effort to never lose out of conference.

Again, I’m not disagreeing that you can create more competition. But you’re creating more competition amongst a small number of schools who are of that ilk already. This isn’t suddenly going to pave the way for 80-90% of FBS to have an opportunity to be national players. I think that’s where you and I ultimately disagree.
    I think NIL will make quite a difference in the long run. There are enough schools with athletic money to pay a pretty decent sum for players. The guys sitting on the bench at the big schools are going to be more likely to jump if they're not playing right away. Texas and Oklahoma going into the SEC, and the four West Coast schools going into the B1G means some of these schools aren't likely to have the gaudy records they've gotten used to. And players are going to realize the road to the playoffs doesn't always have to run through the same half-dozen schools.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Ohio State starting QB has entered portal and will skip bowl game.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Fully aware.

But everybody everywhere is talking out of both sides of their mouth at this point. National media, messages boards, Twitter, etc. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say the portal and NIL has ruined college football, when the machine (media, fans, etc.) is what ultimately created both of those things. And you can’t think that expanding the playoff will increase the chance for a team to win a title and also ignore how what we clamored for (NIL and player movement) will never allow that to happen. And you also can’t say you want what’s best for the players and then believe that adding four more games potentially to their season where they can get injured is the best thing for them because you want to see some middle of the road P5 team who had a good year get boat raced in the 2nd round. This is what I’ve seen everywhere all weekend.

Strictly speaking from a football only standpoint, I never believed they should have created the playoff in the first place. I actually think it hurt the competitive balance of football and devalued all other bowls which teams should have been proud to have reached because they had a fantastic season.
    The Big Ten hasn't had true competitive balance since probably the '70s. There have been a few temporary resurgences at Iowa, Wisconsin, Purdue, etc., but Ohio State and Michigan have dominated the league. The balance started to go south when more and more games were televised. National reporters latched on to the Bo-Woody rivalry at Michigan and Ohio State, and that became the story in the Big Ten. Recruiting shot up at those schools while it went through a fallow period in much of the rest of the league, and those two teams basically ran roughshod over everybody else. That they consistently lost the Rose Bowl did not seem to change the narrative. Ohio State and Michigan were the only teams to represent the B1G in the Rose Bowl in the '70s, and they won exactly one Rose Bowl the entire decade. Hard as it is to believe now, the B1G had dominated the Rose Bowl from the late '40s into the mid '60s when the league was better balanced. When I was a kid, it was considered a disgrace for a Big Ten team to lose the Rose Bowl. Now they shout hallelujah when they win something.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Every year is different. You don't know who is going to beat whom in a given year. TCU lucked out last year in facing Harbag and his usually clueless postseason preparation. Either OSU or Georgia would have smoked TCU in a first-round game. Your whole "every game matters scenario" has just been shattered by the Florida State scenario. The current system has also encouraged major teams to go lighter and lighter on their OOC schedules since there's no reason to play anyone good outside your league if 1 or 2 losses keeps you out of the playoff. A scenario such as we've just had in D2 Region One with a two-loss Kutztown team winning the region is almost unimaginable.

Obviously your record doesn't matter if your QB gets hurt or you fail whatever the perceived eye test is for that season. Ohio State was ranked ahead of Alabama and had a one-score loss to an unbeaten Michigan team. Georgia nearly ran through two unbeaten seasons in a league generally regarded as the toughest, was top-ranked most of the season, and lost by three to Alabama (in a championship game, not part of the regular season) and is completely out of the playoff. Oregon lost twice by three points to unbeaten Washington in two of the best games played this season. Why is that worse than Alabama's loss to Texas or that of Texas to Oklahoma, which didn't even reach the Big 12 title game. With lucrative TV contracts at several of the conferences and NIL in place, it's going to be harder for the 4-5 schools that have dominated the sport in recent years to stockpile players.

A 12-team playoff wouldn't always be a problem solver, but the current system is a farce.
    Florida State being left out is what it is. I won my bet for them NOT to make it on Draft Kings. But I was hoping they would get in. This was an unprecedented and unfortunate situation on a lot of levels. In the old BCS system, there were scenarios where more than two undefeated teams existed. And the computers used a formula to objectively rank the teams before the final selection process. As I mentioned, in that format, Washington and Michigan would’ve gotten in with minimal arguments.

I generally believe things are relative, but I don’t believe D2 to D1 is comparable in this case. Different scholarship maximums. Each school fundraising and paying for different equivalencies. It’s not the same in the sense where every D1 school has 85 scholarships.

You also aren’t recognizing that while these mega tv deals may be giving more teams access to more money, the elitest of the elite are getting the same chunk given to them as well. Nothing is changing. I’m also not entirely sure that this encourages teams to schedule tougher, especially as conferences expand. It’ll just be about winning as many games as you possibly can. And teams will schedule lesser weights in an effort to never lose out of conference.

Again, I’m not disagreeing that you can create more competition. But you’re creating more competition amongst a small number of schools who are of that ilk already. This isn’t suddenly going to pave the way for 80-90% of FBS to have an opportunity to be national players. I think that’s where you and I ultimately disagree.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Everybody said the same thing about NIL. And all NIL has done was prop up the dormant historical programs who now have the money to buy recruits and advantageously use the transfer portal as free agency (Texas, Florida State, USC - although hasn’t worked out yet in this sense, etc.), while seemingly treating 2nd and 3rd tier programs like feeder systems for the elites. It hasn’t exactly impacted anything in terms of helping the little guy. I can agree it’s created more competitive balance, but it’s done that amongst a small minority of schools who are otherwise rotating at the top anyways. Clemson takes a big step back, but Texas immediately enters the conversation. Rinse and repeat. You aren’t changing who is going to win championships at this level. Expand the playoff to 64 teams. Until NIL, the transfer portal, and other factors incorporating both topics are fixed, you are not going to have a system where those 2nd and 3rd tier teams can win a national championship in FBS football.

And is tacking 4 extra games onto the season good for the players? Because I thought that’s what everybody wanted.. What’s best for the players. Guys with NFL futures will and should opt out.
    This is only Season #2 of NIL and really the only full season with it. Give it some time. You get an upstart program in a big metro (like Tulane) and it should be interesting what happens. If anything.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

When it's all said and done ... behind closed doors ... nobody gives a blank about the players.
    Fully aware.

But everybody everywhere is talking out of both sides of their mouth at this point. National media, messages boards, Twitter, etc. You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say the portal and NIL has ruined college football, when the machine (media, fans, etc.) is what ultimately created both of those things. And you can’t think that expanding the playoff will increase the chance for a team to win a title and also ignore how what we clamored for (NIL and player movement) will never allow that to happen. And you also can’t say you want what’s best for the players and then believe that adding four more games potentially to their season where they can get injured is the best thing for them because you want to see some middle of the road P5 team who had a good year get boat raced in the 2nd round. This is what I’ve seen everywhere all weekend.

Strictly speaking from a football only standpoint, I never believed they should have created the playoff in the first place. I actually think it hurt the competitive balance of football and devalued all other bowls which teams should have been proud to have reached because they had a fantastic season.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X