Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D1 went to a redshirt system where a player can participate in something like 20% of the games and still qualify to redshirt.

Does this apply in D2?

Asking because it's getting to the point you wonder if they are considering shutting Houser down? He's played a series in the Kutztown game and a series in the Clarion game. That's it.

I know they could sure use him if that ankle ever gets right but, man, this is turning out to be a wasted year of eligibility. You hate to see him burn a whole year like this ...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      D1 went to a redshirt system where a player can participate in something like 20% of the games and still qualify to redshirt.

Does this apply in D2?

Asking because it's getting to the point you wonder if they are considering shutting Houser down? He's played a series in the Kutztown game and a series in the Clarion game. That's it.

I know they could sure use him if that ankle ever gets right but, man, this is turning out to be a wasted year of eligibility. You hate to see him burn a whole year like this ...
      There's the "medical redshirt" ...

14.2.5 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and results in an incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;

(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport), or 30 percent of the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

There's the "medical redshirt" ...

14.2.5 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of "hardship." Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(a) The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution

(b) The injury or illness occurs prior to the first competition of the second half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport and results in an incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;

(c) The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport), or 30 percent of the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition
        Thanks. So as of now he'd qualify if they'd shut him down.

Assuming Stewart is back this week (illness last week) there really isn't a reason to rush him. But, if you'd lose another one, I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be with the deeper bench.

What happened to the RB transfer from Edinboro? Is he even dressing for games?

Comment

Assuming Stewart is back this week (illness last week) there really isn't a reason to rush him. But, if you'd lose another one, I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be with the deeper bench.

Comment

• That explains that.

So, getting deeper down the depth chart we have the true freshman Vinnie Sirriani (who I believe is playing special teams) and also the big boy true freshman from McKeesport (who they moved over to DL in practice).

Knock on wood we roll with Malik, Justice and Dayjure the rest of the way. Houser ... would be great, but, ... starting to look like a lost season for him. Question is ... somebody like him viewed as a future star ... do we want to burn a year for him to play just a handful of games ... or shut him down and have him next 3 years?

Comment

• That's funny, he's listed as playing against Mercyhurst, got a tackle, so probably on special teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

That's funny, he's listed as playing against Mercyhurst, got a tackle, so probably on special teams.
                Well maybe he's finally eligible? No idea how that works. In high school you can be ineligible and then become eligible at a certain point. Is that the case in D2?

Hope so. However he looked in camp he had some nice film from Edinboro. Come late OCT you cannot have enough healthy RBs.

IUP's special teams have been fantastic. Return. Coverage. Kicking. Punting.

Best in 20 years as a whole.

Comment

It would certainly be an option, I think there's another factor you need to take into consideration with D-II athletes that you don't at the higher levels.

With an Adam Houser, he might be thinking about his education first. When he gets that degree -- and coming out of the Cooks Honor College, that will be a degree carrying some weight -- he might be looking to start a professional career (not football). He might not want, or take, that extra year -- especially if his family is footing part of the bill, or he's taking out some loans.

Like I said, it's not something that a starting linebacker for Clemson would necessarily be thinking about. A running back at IUP? More possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

It would certainly be an option, I think there's another factor you need to take into consideration with D-II athletes that you don't at the higher levels.

With an Adam Houser, he might be thinking about his education first. When he gets that degree -- and coming out of the Cooks Honor College, that will be a degree carrying some weight -- he might be looking to start a professional career (not football). He might not want, or take, that extra year -- especially if his family is footing part of the bill, or he's taking out some loans.

Like I said, it's not something that a starting linebacker for Clemson would necessarily be thinking about. A running back at IUP? More possible.
                    True. But, wrapping up a year of post-grad on IUP's tab would be good, too.

Comment

Yes. And I think for a lot of athletes that extra year of Covid eligibility won't matter. Time to move on from college for a lot of people. Not all, of course.

Regarding Houser's ankle, it's best to make sure it's healed up and less prone to future injury, especially with IUP's depth at the position.

Comment

Well maybe he's finally eligible? No idea how that works. In high school you can be ineligible and then become eligible at a certain point. Is that the case in D2?

Hope so. However he looked in camp he had some nice film from Edinboro. Come late OCT you cannot have enough healthy RBs.

IUP's special teams have been fantastic. Return. Coverage. Kicking. Punting.

Best in 20 years as a whole.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. I thought I recalled Houser was accepted to the Cooks Honor College.

Comment

• OK. So, nobody outside of the program would know these details. Are you a player?

I hope. We never get the 'inside' knowledge.

Comment

That explains that.

So, getting deeper down the depth chart we have the true freshman Vinnie Sirriani (who I believe is playing special teams) and also the big boy true freshman from McKeesport (who they moved over to DL in practice).

Knock on wood we roll with Malik, Justice and Dayjure the rest of the way. Houser ... would be great, but, ... starting to look like a lost season for him. Question is ... somebody like him viewed as a future star ... do we want to burn a year for him to play just a handful of games ... or shut him down and have him next 3 years?
                              I would still bring him back sometime this season. I just would make sure I do not rush him back, especially if IUP defeats Cal U. You need your physical backs for playoffs.

Comment

• IUP STEAMROLLS CAL THIS WEEK. Going to be a fun game to watch. Everyone counted iup out, and the negativity only grew. But the way they MANHANDLED the bottom feeder SRU. I see this team handling its business week in and week out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X