Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I'm not sure if foul weather makes IUP the favorite. Their offense isn't much more balanced - Slippery Rock has run the ball 49% of the time vs IUP's 54%. Their rushing YPA and YPG are very similar too. IUP has the #4 rushing defense in the PSAC and Slippery Rock has the #4 rushing offense. That said, if this game is played in the air Slippery Rock should move the ball with ease. Slip has the #2 passing attack against IUP's 2nd from the bottom passing defense. IUP is also 2nd worst in the conference in sacks - so its doubtful they'll be able to pressure Koester either.p

Discipline is a good point though. Slippery Rock has the third-most penalties in the conference. Could that be a factor? Who knows.

This is a hard game to compare stats and ranks. IUP has played two of the top teams in the region. Best team SRU has played is probably East Stroudsburg. So, I think that can lead you down a distorted path in comparing season numbers.

A big question not being mentioned much is how the SRU defense is going to hold up. They haven't faced a good QB all year, let alone a good QB with the caliber of IUP's WRs and TEs. Winless Wayne State is probably the best offense SRU has faced and they don't throw the ball.

IUP has a different defense since Shepherd torched them. With some changes and also guys back, they are at least better than they were then. Aside from the secondary being torched that day, IUP also played without starting LB Connor Kelly and its best pass rusher in Vaughn Wallace. They are both healthy now. Randy Washington is also back which is a big addition. This isn't a great defense by any means but it is slowly getting better. Why they can't get any sacks with all that talent up front is beyond baffling. They don't blitz much. I can tell you that much. Not sure if that is in part trying to drop more guys back to help the freshmen back there or not. I don't know the 'game inside the game' well enough.

The weather is what it is. They both have to play in it.

End of the day ...

I see both QBs having field days. Both teams will rush for about the same. Which defense can force the most punts (I don't think the punters will be real busy). One turnover could tell the tale. This game may set a PSAC record for combined penalties. Aside from each teams normal stuff, I'd fully anticipate several personal fouls, unsportsmanlike, etc. If IUP survives the first half, I like its chances. Big if, by the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Difficult to win nationally without winning your conference, and Penn State has done that only four times in 28 years. Penn State came in thinking they were going to dominate the conference, and it hasn't happened. If Ohio State is Overrated State, what does that make Penn State, which is 8-19 against Ohio State and 10-14 against Michigan. since joining the B1G? I actually root for Penn State most of the time, but I don't buy your argument at all.

Comment

• For anybody making the trip, SRU has a designated visitors' parking lot up on the hill (behind the visiting bleachers and that little clubhouse they have up there). There is also a private visitors' entrance gate to the stadium. Nice set up. Tailgating is permitted in this lot, too. Lot will open at 10:30 a.m. I believe it's $10/spot. The stadium will open at 11:30 a.m. (just in case you're dying to watch the punters warm up or something).

Comment

• You're all over the map. Penn State entered the B1G ahead of whom? Nobody but Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska that I know of. Penn State did not win the conference the first two years they were in it, so I don't know what growing liability had to do with that. What put Penn State on second tier for a few years was the Sandusky scandal and the loss of numerous scholarships. They went into last Saturday ranked in the top five and likely win that game if their QB isn't knocked out. I'd hardly call that second tier. What Penn State discovered, as have most independents who have joined a conference, is that it isn't as easy to play in a conference as it looks from the outside.

Comment

You're all over the map. Penn State entered the B1G ahead of whom? Nobody but Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska that I know of. Penn State did not win the conference the first two years they were in it, so I don't know what growing liability had to do with that. What put Penn State on second tier for a few years was the Sandusky scandal and the loss of numerous scholarships. They went into last Saturday ranked in the top five and likely win that game if their QB isn't knocked out. I'd hardly call that second tier. What Penn State discovered, as have most independents who have joined a conference, is that it isn't as easy to play in a conference as it looks from the outside.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              For anybody making the trip, SRU has a designated visitors' parking lot up on the hill (behind the visiting bleachers and that little clubhouse they have up there). There is also a private visitors' entrance gate to the stadium. Nice set up. Tailgating is permitted in this lot, too. Lot will open at 10:30 a.m. I believe it's $10/spot. The stadium will open at 11:30 a.m. (just in case you're dying to watch the punters warm up or something).
              Or you can go park for free by the baseball facility!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Or you can go park for free by the baseball facility!
                I think it's their way to segregate us. LOL.

Comment

I think it's their way to segregate us. LOL.
                  That rule is for all visiting teams, just not you guys, do not go reading anything into it.

Yes parking at the baseball stadium lot is free, it is a long walk. Parking in the grass along left field fenceline will be $10 but is 300yds closer.

Comment

Such irony ... of all schools to cry about conspiracy theories. Lucky they still have a program after the crap that went down up there.
                    I'm catching up. But this. Absolutely. The fact that they weren't given the proverbial death penalty sure was something. The fact that they were let off on good behavior is another topic as well.

Comment

You're all over the map. Penn State entered the B1G ahead of whom? Nobody but Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska that I know of. Penn State did not win the conference the first two years they were in it, so I don't know what growing liability had to do with that. What put Penn State on second tier for a few years was the Sandusky scandal and the loss of numerous scholarships. They went into last Saturday ranked in the top five and likely win that game if their QB isn't knocked out. I'd hardly call that second tier. What Penn State discovered, as have most independents who have joined a conference, is that it isn't as easy to play in a conference as it looks from the outside.
                      I join any Penn State discussion by treading very carefully. But I'll say this, I don't ever actually think the sanctions hurt Penn State. I agree with your points your making. Nothing IUPNation is saying is making even the smallest sense relative to the Big Ten. Penn State isn't Ohio State. They never were.

To IUPBigIndians' point, they are probably lucky they still have a program up there. That said, the real hero for the Penn State football program was Bill O'Brien. Build a statue of that guy, not Joe Paterno. No other coach would have saved that program. I'm not a Penn State fan, but I know it was long time for Paterno to no longer be the head football coach anymore. With the Sandusky scandal, he was out. The next year, BOB was in. He was the right guy for that situation at the right time.

Recruiting never actually suffered under the sanctions. In fact, under O'Brien it got better compared to Paterno. That was with reduced scholarships, players being allowed to leave freely, the stain of the Sandusky scandal, etc. He got big time commits to go there. He made it abundantly clear he had next to zero interest in staying at Penn State. He wanted to show he could be a head coach and leave for the NFL at the first opportunity. He told recruits, "Come play for me. I've coached in the league for years. I'll get you there." And they came. With the wrong guy at the helm, Penn State football would have hit rock bottom. O'Brien was the best thing that ever happened to that program.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I join any Penn State discussion by treading very carefully. But I'll say this, I don't ever actually think the sanctions hurt Penn State. I agree with your points your making. Nothing IUPNation is saying is making even the smallest sense relative to the Big Ten. Penn State isn't Ohio State. They never were.

To IUPBigIndians' point, they are probably lucky they still have a program up there. That said, the real hero for the Penn State football program was Bill O'Brien. Build a statue of that guy, not Joe Paterno. No other coach would have saved that program. I'm not a Penn State fan, but I know it was long time for Paterno to no longer be the head football coach anymore. With the Sandusky scandal, he was out. The next year, BOB was in. He was the right guy for that situation at the right time.

Recruiting never actually suffered under the sanctions. In fact, under O'Brien it got better compared to Paterno. That was with reduced scholarships, players being allowed to leave freely, the stain of the Sandusky scandal, etc. He got big time commits to go there. He made it abundantly clear he had next to zero interest in staying at Penn State. He wanted to show he could be a head coach and leave for the NFL at the first opportunity. He told recruits, "Come play for me. I've coached in the league for years. I'll get you there." And they came. With the wrong guy at the helm, Penn State football would have hit rock bottom. O'Brien was the best thing that ever happened to that program.

Comment

If Big Game James Franklin didn't block that FG against Ohio State that night ... he may not have survived that season. Many people of power wanted him out entering that OSU game.

Fast Forward and now the question will be if he stays this off-season. The only two jobs that could probably lure him out of there would be either LSU or USC. Both very attractive and both will open the check books.

USC is already open and Ed O. is walking the plank in Baton Rouge. Miami will also open soon but you'd never leave Creepy Valley for that job.

I saw yesterday PSU's star DL is out for the season. They aren't saying much on Clifford. If he doesn't come back they are toast this year.

Comment

If Big Game James Franklin didn't block that FG against Ohio State that night ... he may not have survived that season. Many people of power wanted him out entering that OSU game.

Fast Forward and now the question will be if he stays this off-season. The only two jobs that could probably lure him out of there would be either LSU or USC. Both very attractive and both will open the check books.

USC is already open and Ed O. is walking the plank in Baton Rouge. Miami will also open soon but you'd never leave Creepy Valley for that job.

I saw yesterday PSU's star DL is out for the season. They aren't saying much on Clifford. If he doesn't come back they are toast this year.
                            Why wouldn't you? I'm not sure I honestly agree. I guess, if you're not going to the NFL, what's the end game as a college coach? They all have egos, so somebody believes they'll get it done at Miami. Is your goal to win a national title? It's probably an easier path to the college football playoff in the ACC than it is in the Big Ten East having to play Ohio State and Michigan every year in divisional play.

I can make a great case that Franklin had the best two teams he'll ever assemble in 2016 and 2017 with Barkley and he didn't crack the playoff in either. He was close, but his team wasn't better than Ohio State, or Clemson or Bama either year for that matter. I'm not sure how much better he can recruit at Penn State (he can't). He's getting dawgs there. Guys Penn State has never gotten before. But he's unable to beat Ohio State. Or if he does, he can't beat Iowa on the road. He's in a tough division. Miami is a clearer path. They get huge recruiting classes every year. Miami's problem is always getting those guys to stay focused and play to the level of their talent.

If Miami can pony up the money, I think he'd be stupid to not leave Penn State for that job. Tremendous recruiting territory, great campus, tradition filled program, etc., but most importantly, it's easier to win the ACC Coastal than it is to win the Big Ten East. And winning your conference is a huge step towards making the CFP.

Comment

• Yeah. I didn't mean to derail the thread. But I agree. I travel for work and have found that the further away from State College, PA you get, the more you find that people look unfavorably at that fan base, school, program, etc. There are a lot of people who believe that they are lucky to still have a program.

BOB saved football there. The NCAA cut the sanctions and penalties short. And the national media helped to build the program back up after they beat Ohio State on that blocked field goal. College football just wouldn't be the same without Chris Fowler being able to say, "organized full-stadium White Out game" 12 times fast on a primetime broadcast LOL. To BigIndians' point, it's amazing how one play can change the trajectory of a program.

Franklin was also probably the right guy to go there after BOB. I'm not sure he's a great "coach," but he's a great recruiter. And with the level of talent he's bringing in, that's good for 10 wins a year in the regular season. It's the game against Michigan or Ohio State, or the other fluky close game or two they play every year, that he actually needs to coach is where things go south for him.

Comment

Why wouldn't you? I'm not sure I honestly agree. I guess, if you're not going to the NFL, what's the end game as a college coach? They all have egos, so somebody believes they'll get it done at Miami. Is your goal to win a national title? It's probably an easier path to the college football playoff in the ACC than it is in the Big Ten East having to play Ohio State and Michigan every year in divisional play.

I can make a great case that Franklin had the best two teams he'll ever assemble in 2016 and 2017 with Barkley and he didn't crack the playoff in either. He was close, but his team wasn't better than Ohio State, or Clemson or Bama either year for that matter. I'm not sure how much better he can recruit at Penn State (he can't). He's getting dawgs there. Guys Penn State has never gotten before. But he's unable to beat Ohio State. Or if he does, he can't beat Iowa on the road. He's in a tough division. Miami is a clearer path. They get huge recruiting classes every year. Miami's problem is always getting those guys to stay focused and play to the level of their talent.

If Miami can pony up the money, I think he'd be stupid to not leave Penn State for that job. Tremendous recruiting territory, great campus, tradition filled program, etc., but most importantly, it's easier to win the ACC Coastal than it is to win the Big Ten East. And winning your conference is a huge step towards making the CFP.
                                That's part of it, though. They do have massive egos. The ACC has become the P5 stepchild. Miami draws like Pitt.

I don't know. I know the Hurricane lore. Grew up with it. But, some things died in the 80s.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X