Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

That was Tommie Frazier, Lawrence Phillips and Corey Schlesinger -- and a bone-crushing, massive OL.

Amazing what has become of the Nebraska program.
    I mean, their kicker ended up having a decent career in MLB.

Comment

Taking a look at some SRU statistics ...

It isn't easy as they've played four straight teams that they hammered -- and skewed the stats pretty good.

Looking at their two closest games (Wayne State and East Stroudsburg):

* Rock lost the time of possession in each game (by +10 mins vs ESU and +8 mins vs WSU)
      - Obvious synopsis is they can't run their offense from the sideline. Despite two wins, these were their lowest scoring games (24 pts vs WSU and 22 pts vs ESU)
      - When SRU scores, they score quick. This isn't their teams of yesterday pounding the ball down the field in a cloud of dust.

* Wayne State (with no threat of the pass) ran for 247 yards when the whole stadium knew they were running just about every play

* Litwin and Wynn are going for 180 ypg receiving and Sweeting is getting near 45 ypg

* Koester is throwing for 310 ypg (20 TDs vs 4 picks) Note: 3 of his 4 picks came in the first two games.

* SRU has allowed 8 sacks (half came in first two games ... so, he hasn't been hit much lately)

* Rushed poorly against Wayne State (89 yards) and Seton Hill (60 yards) but went big on East Stroudsburg (173) and Edinboro (263)

* Defensively, they are giving up about 10.5 ppg. By the season stats, the only good offense they've faced this year is Wayne State.

* IUP will be far and away the best OL, WR, and QB they will have faced. Rock secondary is going to have its hands full -- much the same way IUP's will.

* Both kicking games are solid. IUP does have a big advantage in the punting game. Returners on both sides are dangerous.

1.) Wayne St. has a good OL so that is a debate. Problem with Wayne was their QB is terrible and was arguably the worse QB SRU has seen so far...

everything else is spot on. In addition;

*Rock D needs to get more turnovers, theyve had about 6-7 dropped INTs. They've had a lot of injuries.
      *SRU left a lot of points on the field in both of those 1st two games, part of that was Koester adjusting. Edinboro may have been the best Koester has played and we're close to seeing his best ball.
      *The best defense SRU faced (talent wise) might have been Seton Hill.

Comment

Chad Kuhn on the IUP game:

"I want to beat them handsomely, and I don't want them to score a single point."

"For some other teams playing us is like playing in the Super Bowl."

It's the mentality both teams have always had to be honest... when was the last time there was a shutout anyway?

I admit the 2nd comment is stupid, but any team will be hyped to face Rock or IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockNation View Post

It's the mentality both teams have always had to be honest... when was the last time there was a shutout anyway?

I admit the 2nd comment is stupid, but any team will be hyped to face Rock or IUP.
          Tort teams start big games as if they are attending a wake.

Maybe some good board material will help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I talked to some people who earnestly believed there was a conspiracy between Big Ten officials and AP voters in Big Ten media markets to vote for Nebraska because the Big Ten thought it would be embarrassing to the blue bloods if the new kid on the block wins the national championship. I'm not making this up.

There's also this webpage.
            Last edited by IUPNation; 10-12-2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• Can somebody send Brandon updated pictures of The Cig? The pictures he has on the site as insanely outdated.

Comment

• Since Penn State entered the league, Ohio State has won or shared 14 conference titles to four for Penn State so, yeah, guess they stepped it up a little.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Since Penn State entered the league, Ohio State has won or shared 14 conference titles to four for Penn State so, yeah, guess they stepped it up a little.

Comment

Chad Kuhn on the IUP game:

"I want to beat them handsomely, and I don't want them to score a single point."

"For some other teams playing us is like playing in the Super Bowl."
                    This quote right here should have iup fired up, especially the Oline.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPFOOTBALLALUM View Post

This quote right here should have iup fired up, especially the Oline.
                      I'd sure hope so.

If IUP can remember it is at a football game in Quarters 1 & 2, the C-Hawks can win the game.

Comment

• Difficult to win nationally without winning your conference, and Penn State has done that only four times in 28 years. Penn State came in thinking they were going to dominate the conference, and it hasn't happened. If Ohio State is Overrated State, what does that make Penn State, which is 8-19 against Ohio State and 10-14 against Michigan. since joining the B1G? I actually root for Penn State most of the time, but I don't buy your argument at all.

Comment

• How big of a game is this for the IUP program -- on many levels?

For starters, a loss essentially ends the season. Maybe not technically, but it's highly likely.

Second, this would be three in a row to SRU. Three straight is a change in power within the West. I could care less about close losses.

Third, this is another 'big game' with bright lights. IUP simply cannot get bulldozed again in the first half and appear lifeless.

As we saw leading up to the Shepherd game (and now again leading up to the SRU game) very few think IUP can win. That item alone is certainly a sign of a changing culture. Shepherd came to Miller and about 95% picked the Rams in Pick 'Em. Current Pick 'Em is trending in the same direction. Sure, it's just Pick 'Em, but our participants are pretty in the know regarding D2 football. About 75% of IUP posters picked Shepherd to beat IUP. Right now it is trending for more IUP posters to pick SRU than IUP.

Don't get me wrong. I like IUP in this game in many regards. They've been tested. They've been through highs and lows. They are healthy now (hopefully). Harry has 3 games under his belt. I think this is a better road team than home team. Our Florida Gator, after showing up late and then missing two weeks, is nearing an explosion. The running game is more effective with Harry behind center. Irv and Duane are a terror. IUP has 8 interceptions and should have 16. The defense is slowly getting better each week. I think this team has a chip to it and is why they look better on the road. They haven't seemed focused at times at home.

But, they just have to win this game. This team has too much potential to be knocked out by mid-Oct. Tort has to get this monkey off his back of lackluster starts on the big stages. By doing so, they get that crowd out of the game. Do not even consider deferring to the second half should IUP win the toss. Set the tone with the offense. Coach speak rambles about no tomorrow. It's actually probably true this Saturday.

Comment

• I wouldn't say IUP can't win. They certainly can and might. For me, I chose Slippery Rock because they are at home on Homecoming (12th man situation). Its a rivalry game so anything can happen. That said, weather could be the ultimate variable here. If its raining, this game could be a toss-up. But if its clear enough to pass, Slippery Rock could light up that underperforming IUP secondary.

I'm certainly interested in seeing how Slip fares against a quality opponent. Edinboro hung with them for the first half but Slip's quick scoring in the second half just wore down Edinboro on both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              I wouldn't say IUP can't win. They certainly can and might. For me, I chose Slippery Rock because they are at home on Homecoming (12th man situation). Its a rivalry game so anything can happen. That said, weather could be the ultimate variable here. If its raining, this game could be a toss-up. But if its clear enough to pass, Slippery Rock could light up that underperforming IUP secondary.

I'm certainly interested in seeing how Slip fares against a quality opponent. Edinboro hung with them for the first half but Slip's quick scoring in the second half just wore down Edinboro on both sides.
                              For me I think if the weather sucks, that's better for IUP and they will win. If it is a lot of rain, then I'd predict SRU isn't disciplined enough to methodically march down the field and they'll try forcing things. IUP I think can be better balanced on offense and has played a significantly more difficult schedule, I think they prevail.

If it ends up a really nice football day, forget I said anything and Rock wins by 10+.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

For me I think if the weather sucks, that's better for IUP and they will win. If it is a lot of rain, then I'd predict SRU isn't disciplined enough to methodically march down the field and they'll try forcing things. IUP I think can be better balanced on offense and has played a significantly more difficult schedule, I think they prevail.

If it ends up a really nice football day, forget I said anything and Rock wins by 10+.
                                I'm not sure if foul weather makes IUP the favorite. Their offense isn't much more balanced - Slippery Rock has run the ball 49% of the time vs IUP's 54%. Their rushing YPA and YPG are very similar too. IUP has the #4 rushing defense in the PSAC and Slippery Rock has the #4 rushing offense. That said, if this game is played in the air Slippery Rock should move the ball with ease. Slip has the #2 passing attack against IUP's 2nd from the bottom passing defense. IUP is also 2nd worst in the conference in sacks - so its doubtful they'll be able to pressure Koester either.p

Discipline is a good point though. Slippery Rock has the third-most penalties in the conference. Could that be a factor? Who knows.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X