Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I join any Penn State discussion by treading very carefully. But I'll say this, I don't ever actually think the sanctions hurt Penn State. I agree with your points your making. Nothing IUPNation is saying is making even the smallest sense relative to the Big Ten. Penn State isn't Ohio State. They never were.

To IUPBigIndians' point, they are probably lucky they still have a program up there. That said, the real hero for the Penn State football program was Bill O'Brien. Build a statue of that guy, not Joe Paterno. No other coach would have saved that program. I'm not a Penn State fan, but I know it was long time for Paterno to no longer be the head football coach anymore. With the Sandusky scandal, he was out. The next year, BOB was in. He was the right guy for that situation at the right time.

Recruiting never actually suffered under the sanctions. In fact, under O'Brien it got better compared to Paterno. That was with reduced scholarships, players being allowed to leave freely, the stain of the Sandusky scandal, etc. He got big time commits to go there. He made it abundantly clear he had next to zero interest in staying at Penn State. He wanted to show he could be a head coach and leave for the NFL at the first opportunity. He told recruits, "Come play for me. I've coached in the league for years. I'll get you there." And they came. With the wrong guy at the helm, Penn State football would have hit rock bottom. O'Brien was the best thing that ever happened to that program.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 10-14-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• No way you leave Penn State for Miami. I'm a Miami fan and the program is terrible. South Fla kids the 5 star and most 4's go SEC now. Miami plays off campus and hasnt been good in almost 20 years. You wont get 100k at a Miami game. Miami and FSU are in similar situations except Miami is the private small school with a NFL off campus stadium.

Bill O'Brien could recruit to Penn St because it was Penn St....no other reason. If he took over Rutgers in that situation he couldnt of recruited there. So whoever you want to give credit for building Penn st from the 60's on might have some credit there.

Other arguments in this Penn st thing......how many National titles has Penn state won since joining the big ten? Last one was 86'? in a game Miami had 6 turnovers and still had a chance to win. 94' they werent the best team. I wouldve loved to see them play Miami as the 2 vs 3 game in a 4 team playoff because I wouldve taken Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
        No way you leave Penn State for Miami. I'm a Miami fan and the program is terrible. South Fla kids the 5 star and most 4's go SEC now. Miami plays off campus and hasnt been good in almost 20 years. You wont get 100k at a Miami game. Miami and FSU are in similar situations except Miami is the private small school with a NFL off campus stadium.

Bill O'Brien could recruit to Penn St because it was Penn St....no other reason. If he took over Rutgers in that situation he couldnt of recruited there. So whoever you want to give credit for building Penn st from the 60's on might have some credit there.

Other arguments in this Penn st thing......how many National titles has Penn state won since joining the big ten? Last one was 86'? in a game Miami had 6 turnovers and still had a chance to win. 94' they werent the best team. I wouldve loved to see them play Miami as the 2 vs 3 game in a 4 team playoff because I wouldve taken Miami.
        Those were the Gino Torretta years, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
          No way you leave Penn State for Miami. I'm a Miami fan and the program is terrible. South Fla kids the 5 star and most 4's go SEC now. Miami plays off campus and hasnt been good in almost 20 years. You wont get 100k at a Miami game. Miami and FSU are in similar situations except Miami is the private small school with a NFL off campus stadium.

I'd jump in but I don't even know what we are arguing about at this point. LOL. For real. I'm lost.

I do agree, though. You'd be insane to leave football-is-bigger-than-God PSU for the Miami job. Now, LSU and USC ... you can sell me on making those moves.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd jump in but I don't even know what we are arguing about at this point. LOL. For real. I'm lost.

I do agree, though. You'd be insane to leave football-is-bigger-than-God PSU for the Miami job. Now, LSU and USC ... you can sell me on making those moves.
            Ya, I skimmed mutiple posts and jumped in. LOL. Not sure either

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              and Pitt still stinks.

Pitt doesn't stink this year. Granted, they had their 'Pitt Moment' this year, but ... that's a pretty good team.

Tell you what ... if they survive Lane Stadium on Saturday ... they have a chance to run the table (including the ACC Championship game). Yes, Clemson still comes to Heinz Field ... but old Dabo's team is a shell of its former self right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Those were the Gino Torretta years, right?
                94' was Frank Costa the end of the QB run at Miami. Torretta was started 91-92. I think Frank Costa was from St. Joe's Prep if I'm remembering right. But the defense in 94' was Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis.

Comment

• To Nation's argument the fact Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Iowa won the big ten in the early/ mid 90's shows it was in an ACC type period atleast for a few years at that time. But I think OHio St was already trending up with John Cooper before Penn state came in and beat PSU in 93 and 95 around that 94 season.

MIchigan tho if I'm remembering right only had two close losses in 88' to Miami and Notre Dame the two best teams in the country. And blew a big lead on Miami at home.

And I just looked 91' Michigan only lost to FSU and Washington (split National Champs)
                  Last edited by EdinboroFB; 10-14-2021, 11:54 AM.

Comment

That's part of it, though. They do have massive egos. The ACC has become the P5 stepchild. Miami draws like Pitt.

I don't know. I know the Hurricane lore. Grew up with it. But, some things died in the 80s.
                    The ACC is having a rough year, certainly, but in totality they are no worse as a conference than the Pac 12 or Big 12. The ACC Coastal is no worse than the Pac 12 north - Oregon is good this year though. Outside of a year like this where Iowa has a tremendous team. The Big Ten West normally stinks out loud too.

My point on Franklin is that his path to the playoff is easier in Coral Gables, FL than it is in State College, PA. And that's with the understanding of what he's built that program into. Why do you coach at that level? All the major programs will pay. Do you coach for longevity and legacy? Then stay at Penn State and hope that the planets one day align. Or, do you coach to win a national title? Miami's program is significantly less than what Penn State's is. Same with USC. That doesn't mean it's not easier to get to the Playoff at either location.

My position has utterly zero to do with whether Miami or USC is a better program or job than Penn State.

Comment

• Comment

• It's the Hollywood job. LA. Celebs. Glamor program. Media darling.

But, you better win quick.

Comment

• Yes I think primarily for the money & location.

Comment

• You keep saying that it was Paterno that clinged onto his job. That was not the case. He stayed on because of encouragement from the University, the alumni, and former players. It was in the early 2000's, as you mention, that some former players came in to rescue him. Was it Smith, Terry Smith?, the former Gateway HS coach joined the staff? A lot of the former players created a movement to bring it back and it worked as PSU rose back to a conference leader.

In the later years, Paterno made many comments about how the powers that be wanted him to stay on. Oh, he didn't object. But the idea of becoming the all-time winningest college football coach was huge. It superseded everything.

Comment

It's the Hollywood job. LA. Celebs. Glamor program. Media darling.

But, you better win quick.
                              Its in the ****ty part of town. UCLA is in the high rent district.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

You keep saying that it was Paterno that clinged onto his job. That was not the case. He stayed on because of encouragement from the University, the alumni, and former players. It was in the early 2000's, as you mention, that some former players came in to rescue him. Was it Smith, Terry Smith?, the former Gateway HS coach joined the staff? A lot of the former players created a movement to bring it back and it worked as PSU rose back to a conference leader.

In the later years, Paterno made many comments about how the powers that be wanted him to stay on. Oh, he didn't object. But the idea of becoming the all-time winningest college football coach was huge. It superseded everything.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X