Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

The thing about that is ... you could insert the name of any Big Ten school in there and the statement would be pretty much as accurate.

We're just so inundated with the Penn State diehards around here, we notice it more.
    Oh, they all whine. But there's a little extra edge of paranoia on the Penn State boards. They're just certain all those bad ol' schools in the Midwest are out to get them and that the calls always go against them. I think the only problem I'd have with that team in the Iowa game is that they didn't get off the clap for the snap quick enough, which cost them a couple of illegal motion penalties. That likely is on the coaches. Their o-line is not that great this season, and that backup kid had thrown, what, a half-dozen passes if that in the Big 10 before that game. Yeah, throw him in against a top 10 defense with a hostile crowd and not much of a running game and he's really going to go wild. I'm not much of a fan of their running back by committee approach. They might have been just as well off putting someone like Dotson in a wildcat. Of course the guy who was backup last season, Will Levis, is in Kentucky leading them to a 6-0 start. If your team has a backup QB with much talent and he's not getting many snaps, you can probably say bye-bye to him pretty quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPFOOTBALLALUM View Post

BIG TIME PLAYERS STEP UP IN BIG TIME GAMES. If everything comes together for IUP they will win this game. Need to clean up the penalties and hope the pass rush can get home multiple times. This is also going to be Harry Footballs first big game, excited to see how he does, he has all the weapons you need. The real question is does slippery rock have the defense to shut all these weapons down.
      IUP hasn't won a BIG TIME GAME in years!!! You better start praying! The egos on here are appalling!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

IUP hasn't won a BIG TIME GAME in years!!! You better start praying! The egos on here are appalling!
        Actually, the Kutztown game was a big time game this year, IUP loses that, and the SRU game is just for bragging rites. If KU wins this week, they will likely only have 1 loss, to IUP.

I don't think SRU is better than KU, just a flashier style.

Like many have said, IUP loses this week, and playoff hopes are all but lost. Also, the loser of the KU, Ship game won't make the post season either.

SRU loses this week, and even if they run the table, their crappy SOS might keep them out of the Playoffs.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Actually, the Kutztown game was a big time game this year, IUP loses that, and the SRU game is just for bragging rites. If KU wins this week, they will likely only have 1 loss, to IUP.

Like many have said, IUP loses this week, and playoff hopes are all but lost. Also, the loser of the KU, Ship game won't make the post season either.

SRU loses this week, and even if they run the table, their crappy SOS might keep them out of the Playoffs.

I think we know what IUP is this year. You wouldn't want to play them the day everything clicks and when they are all on the field together (granted, if that day ever comes). I'm not going to get all excited about this past Saturday because that was essentially a mediocre D3 team they played. But, we've seen IUP win a big game. We've seen them lose a big game. We've seen them pummel two terrible teams. And, we've seen them struggle (but beat) a mid-tier program (#LIT-AF). We've seen them overcome a ton of adversity with injuries and Covid issues.

No question they are a much better offense with Harry Football. Irvin Charles is a monster. Duane is a star. They are getting smoother each week. The running game is what it is. The defense shows flashes -- good and bad. The team makes a ton of undisciplined type errors and penalties. The defensive philosophy is very vanilla. We know all this by now. How much can really change by Week 7? Hopefully some.

But, what I can't wait to see, is how good SRU and Cal actually are (or, aren't).

SRU hasn't played anybody with a pulse in over a month. Last four games: Lock Haven, @ Seton Hill, Clarion and @ Edinboro. Everything changes when the team across from you can punch back. IUP has been through plenty of adversity this year. From everything I've seen this year, this particular IUP team is better off on the road. In some odd way I think they thrive on it. This will be the first big boy offense SRU has seen all season. I think both QBs have monster stats and both defenses get lit up. IUP is more battle tested. Will that make the difference?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Obviously, this question goes both ways.

IUP is going to have to score at least 35-40 points to win this game. I just cannot see IUP's defense -- based on all we've seen thus far -- holding SRU in the 20s or less.

SRU's WRs are loaded. If they don't pressure -- and a lot of it -- I have no idea how IUP's young secondary will survive.

Comment

• Not mentioned much on here but three items of note from this past game:

* Adam Houser came back (granted, a very small workload as expected).

* DB Randy Washington also returned (for I believe the first time all year).

* WR Terry Mumford also returned after missing the entire season to this point. Not likely to contribute much in the offense this year but he's a really nice special teams player with speed and size.

Those are some really big additions if they are nearing 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

All fan bases ***** after a loss, but the Penn State boards are in a category of their own. I've never seen a group that whines more. The whole Big Ten is against them, they never get calls, blah, blah, blah.
                I used to do freelance writing on the side. A few years ago, I was offered a story to write for a magazine that covers a lot of PSU stuff. The story was to investigate how the Big Ten has it out for PSU and that PSU gets screwed by the league, the refs and the pollsters all the time. I thought it was a joke, but they were serious. I started making calls and found that there is a huge portion of the PSU fanbase that earnestly believes there is a conspiracy to keep Penn State football down. They go all the way back to the 1994 season and other things, like how a bad call in the OSU game one year that went again PSU couldn't be reversed because the replay equipment wasn't working, etc. There's like this working list of examples. It was truly bizarre.

Sorry to hijack a justifiably IUP-themed thread ;)
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I used to do freelance writing on the side. A few years ago, I was offered a story to write for a magazine that covers a lot of PSU stuff. The story was to investigate how the Big Ten has it out for PSU and that PSU gets screwed by the league, the refs and the pollsters all the time. I thought it was a joke, but they were serious. I started making calls and found that there is a huge portion of the PSU fanbase that earnestly believes there is a conspiracy to keep Penn State football down. They go all the way back to the 1994 season and other things, like how a bad call in the OSU game one year that went again PSU couldn't be reversed because the replay equipment wasn't working, etc. There's like this working list of examples. It was truly bizarre.

Such irony ... of all schools to cry about conspiracy theories. Lucky they still have a program after the crap that went down up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Thanks for the input, Matt. It is strange. I got on the Blue-White Illustrated board a couple of years back, and that stuff was flying all over the place. I dared to say something mildly critical of Penn State (and it's not like I'm a hater as my brother and nephew are both PSU alums and I enjoy going to games up there), and was hit with so many over-the-top insults that I left that board and haven't been back. Most of the Penn State fans I run into at games seem pretty reasonable, but the online crew is something else. Then again, there's something about the anonymous nature of online boards that does not bring out the best in people.

I'm surprised they'd go to the 1994 season. Weren't they unbeaten that year?

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Kutztown game was NOT a big time game! Playing against SRU is a BIG TIME game. A playoff game against Shep is a Big Time game!!! What has Kutztown ever won to make them BIG TIME worthy??? NOTHING!!! They are just a good team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Thanks for the input, Matt. It is strange. I got on the Blue-White Illustrated board a couple of years back, and that stuff was flying all over the place. I dared to say something mildly critical of Penn State (and it's not like I'm a hater as my brother and nephew are both PSU alums and I enjoy going to games up there), and was hit with so many over-the-top insults that I left that board and haven't been back. Most of the Penn State fans I run into at games seem pretty reasonable, but the online crew is something else. Then again, there's something about the anonymous nature of online boards that does not bring out the best in people.

I'm surprised they'd go to the 1994 season. Weren't they unbeaten that year?
                        The '94 team is long beleived to have gotten screwed out of national title.

Comment

The '94 team is long beleived to have gotten screwed out of national title.
                          Ok...I now see why they believed such:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_P..._football_team

Penn State were ranked #1 by Week 8 by both the Coaches Poll and AP Poll. But they dropped in both polls after close road wins over Indiana, then Illinois.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Ok...I now see why they believed such:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_P..._football_team

Penn State were ranked #1 by Week 8 by both the Coaches Poll and AP Poll. But they dropped in both polls after close road wins over Indiana, then Illinois.
                            That was an incredible Joe Pa team. If I recall correctly in the next draft they had 3 of the top 8 players taken (Ki-Jana Carter went No. 1 overall, Kerry Collins and massive TE Kyle Brady.

My God that seems like yesterday ... almost 30 years ago.

They had those close games at the end but had serious blowouts prior (USC, Ohio State, etc.) Then they hammered Cinderella Oregon in the Rose Bowl.

I went to the Ohio State game that year. PSU won (I think) 52-14.

Comment

I think we know what IUP is this year. You wouldn't want to play them the day everything clicks and when they are all on the field together (granted, if that day ever comes). I'm not going to get all excited about this past Saturday because that was essentially a mediocre D3 team they played. But, we've seen IUP win a big game. We've seen them lose a big game. We've seen them pummel two terrible teams. And, we've seen them struggle (but beat) a mid-tier program (#LIT-AF). We've seen them overcome a ton of adversity with injuries and Covid issues.

No question they are a much better offense with Harry Football. Irvin Charles is a monster. Duane is a star. They are getting smoother each week. The running game is what it is. The defense shows flashes -- good and bad. The team makes a ton of undisciplined type errors and penalties. The defensive philosophy is very vanilla. We know all this by now. How much can really change by Week 7? Hopefully some.

But, what I can't wait to see, is how good SRU and Cal actually are (or, aren't).

SRU hasn't played anybody with a pulse in over a month. Last four games: Lock Haven, @ Seton Hill, Clarion and @ Edinboro. Everything changes when the team across from you can punch back. IUP has been through plenty of adversity this year. From everything I've seen this year, this particular IUP team is better off on the road. In some odd way I think they thrive on it. This will be the first big boy offense SRU has seen all season. I think both QBs have monster stats and both defenses get lit up. IUP is more battle tested. Will that make the difference?
                              IUP SHOWS UP TO SLIP AND PUNCHES THEM IN THE MOUTH! GO HAWKS

Comment

• As of now looks like we may have a wet one on Saturday.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X