X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Anything less than 5-1 would be alarming. You guys might be playing the 5 worst teams in the conference after the Coal bowl.
    Getting to 1-0 is the key item. They lose Saturday and the bottom will fall out.

The ray of hope is IUP hasn't played even close to a complete game this year. They may not, either.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

6-0 rest of way and need help

Unlikely but possible
    Anything less than 5-1 would be alarming. You guys might be playing the 5 worst teams in the conference after the Coal bowl.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Unlikely but possible
    Yeah...the vibe for that isn't there.

This program just seems to drop a turd the year after a big season...excluding 2021 which was just a bad year on it's own.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    It’s 2013, 2018 and 2021 all over again.

Unlikely but possible

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    It’s 2013, 2018 and 2021 all over again.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

To be honest, I recall over the summer people (albeit very, very few) noted that he wasn't a good passer. And if the OL didn't perform, which those same people expressed concerns over, it may not come together.

Generally guys on their 3rd school... There's a reason why.

There was a vocal group that said how he was the best transfer QB on the market at the FCS and D2 level. That was dangled out there and people ran with it. And here we are.
    Everybody was excited. Why wouldn't we have been? IUP beat out some big schools for Karst. Hindsight is easy. They missed. I think it's that simple.They miss in Rd 1 of the draft every year on QBs.

In Karst's defense, this isn't the best offensive system for his skill set. IUP's line has been awful and he's under attack constantly. There hasn't been much of a running game. The OL transfers were successful elsewhere but aren't playing well here.

I think it just looks like a flop of a season. They got one more chance.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

What bothers me is how are these players not ready to play mentally? I agree that this is a clear issue in the Tort era, but how can guys just not be amped up to go into that type of environment. What type of guys are they recruiting that need a coach, any coach, to get them excited to play the game of football?

But I agree, a lot of this is on Tort.
    I'm not buying what the Timeout is selling. That's not freaking a White Out in Happy Valley. It's a big high school stadium with 9,000 people in it. It's not deafening loud. You can hear the snap count.

If being booed hurt their feelings, shame on them.

The 2021 team ate that atmosphere up in that same
    stadium. This team looked extremely timid.

As for Laney, he won them the Ashland game. His reward? He's been sent one-way to Siberia. His role is a total travesty.

I think we're four quarters away from basketball season. Unfortunately that doesn't start until Nov. 10. Hope I'm wrong. I think IUP will need to score at least 24 points to have a shot. I'm not sure they can get that many.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

If they weren't physically and mentally ready then YOU as the coach are to blame! Tort never has his teams ready for big games!!! It's a rivalry game, how are you not ready?????????

Fire Tort campaign begins!!
    What bothers me is how are these players not ready to play mentally? I agree that this is a clear issue in the Tort era, but how can guys just not be amped up to go into that type of environment. What type of guys are they recruiting that need a coach, any coach, to get them excited to play the game of football?

But I agree, a lot of this is on Tort.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post

He would be so much further ahead even if he just waited until they line up to pick a receiver. At least then he could see pre-snap coverage and safety positioning. The competition at his last school must have been absolutely abysmal for him to be lauded as some sort of superstar coming to IUP. He is not making subtle mistakes. How did no one question him coming in? Is he genuinely just playing poorly this year? I'm stumped thinking how he could either regress this much, or pull off such a con. Either answer seems implausible.

I can't imagine how Laney must feel. Probably embarrassing having to run check downs every play knowing that your QB will NEVER look at you. You gotta feel bad for the kid. All the receivers are probably annoyed knowing that it's up to chance whether they'll get the ball thrown at them, rather than how they run their route and the amount of separation they get from their man.
    To be honest, I recall over the summer people (albeit very, very few) noted that he wasn't a good passer. And if the OL didn't perform, which those same people expressed concerns over, it may not come together.

Generally guys on their 3rd school... There's a reason why.

There was a vocal group that said how he was the best transfer QB on the market at the FCS and D2 level. That was dangled out there and people ran with it. And here we are.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

He would be so much further ahead even if he just waited until they line up to pick a receiver. At least then he could see pre-snap coverage and safety positioning. The competition at his last school must have been absolutely abysmal for him to be lauded as some sort of superstar coming to IUP. He is not making subtle mistakes. How did no one question him coming in? Is he genuinely just playing poorly this year? I'm stumped thinking how he could either regress this much, or pull off such a con. Either answer seems implausible.

I can't imagine how Laney must feel. Probably embarrassing having to run check downs every play knowing that your QB will NEVER look at you. You gotta feel bad for the kid. All the receivers are probably annoyed knowing that it's up to chance whether they'll get the ball thrown at them, rather than how they run their route and the amount of separation they get from their man.
    Laney has a next level body for the TE position. If I were a D1 program snooping around, I'd throw a scholarship his way for sure. He's criminally underused and should be a focal point of an offense at this level. 2 catches for 19 yards since the first game? Ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Good questions and good points. I think everybody is thinking the same things.

I think everybody is rooting for him, both for him and out of self-interest. But you're right, these are not just "bad games."

He is a bruiser when he's running with the ball. Seems like he would be a TE. Was that his position before he converted to QB?

Leave a comment:

• DeepBallEnjoyer
    replied

Karst pretty much knows where the ball is going in the huddle (for better or worse). It's extremely frustrating to have a stud TE like Laney not involved.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Do we know what Lockhart's injury is? Is it the same knee?

If Washington doesn't play this week I think you start to look towards a RS.
    It's Lockhart's other knee. Tort said it 'might' be an MCL.

I don't know how much Washington will play even if healthy. I'd assume he's No. 4 on the depth chart. He could be an effective special teams player.

Seems Stewart is going to get the big load. Younger is getting less and Houser has vanished.

Karst pretty much knows where the ball is going in the huddle (for better or worse). It's extremely frustrating to have a stud TE like Laney not involved.

I'd assume Clark takes the Lockhart spot with Deabner and Houser the two backups.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Tort identified two main problems on his show last night:

1) He felt much of the offense had deer in the headlights syndrome and weren't ready to play physically or mentally in that environment.

2) He thought both sides of the ball were drastically outperformed in the physicality department.

He was also showing indications he's not real happy with Karst Hunter. He eluded both interceptions were forced and shouldn't have been thrown.

As he said, SRU barely blitzed at all the whole game. That will be a major difference this Saturday as Cal blitzes (from all over) all game. He also stated the Vulcans are one of the most physical teams in the league and IUP has to do a tremendously better job in this area.

He spoke very highly of Cal's QB and their WRs' big-play prowess.

Jack asked if their would be any lineup changes and Tort said there wouldn't be. He said if he was going to bench those who didn't play well Saturday he'd essentially bench the whole starting lineup which he can't do.
    If they weren't physically and mentally ready then YOU as the coach are to blame! Tort never has his teams ready for big games!!! It's a rivalry game, how are you not ready?????????

Fire Tort campaign begins!!

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Lockhart will be out 4 weeks per Tort.

Isaiah Houser may debut this week. Wallace (DT) will return this week.

No word on Randy Washington.
    Do we know what Lockhart's injury is? Is it the same knee?

If Washington doesn't play this week I think you start to look towards a RS.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X