Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Amazingly, the 2018 team -- by far Tort's most undisciplined -- had one of the lowest numbers. I'd also bet a huge chuck of those (2018) came from the kickoff coverage unit. That group had more stupid personal fouls than I've ever seen.

Obviously, Tort's last two teams (19 and 21) had high numbers.
    The other side of the coin is also interesting. The teams that get the most penalties called on their opponents tend to be (but not always) the bad teams. Through 3 weeks this season, Shippensburg, East Stroudsburg, Millersville and Seton Hill benefit the most from penalties (IUP is 5th) while Slippery Rock is 9th, Kutztown is 15th and Shepherd is dead last.

I researched this once and found that for many years, the team that had the most penalties called on their opponents was either Lock Haven or Cheyney.

Maybe someone else can conclude otherwise, but to me, this says that the refs sometimes feel bad when a team is down 49-0 in the third quarter.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

The other side of the coin is also interesting. The teams that get the most penalties called on their opponents tend to be (but not always) the bad teams. Through 3 weeks this season, Shippensburg, East Stroudsburg, Millersville and Seton Hill benefit the most from penalties (IUP is 5th) while Slippery Rock is 9th, Kutztown is 15th and Shepherd is dead last.

I researched this once and found that for many years, the team that had the most penalties called on their opponents was either Lock Haven or Cheyney.

Maybe someone else can conclude otherwise, but to me, this says that the refs sometimes feel bad when a team is down 49-0 in the third quarter.
      A lot of truth to this also. I've seen it many times but in a blow out nobody blinks an eye at it.

Comment

Obviously, you don't want to have unnecessary penalties. 5 penalties against the OL in the first game was definitely bad. The bottom line is whether you win or lose, though. Interference calls are often related to not being in position to make a play. That's bad.

It would be interesting to break down the types of penalties IUP has had. Clearly, the unsportsmanlike calls over the years have got to go.

IUP has also played very aggressively, especially on defense, which has inevitably led to some penalties. A few of those aren't necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Obviously, you don't want to have unnecessary penalties. 5 penalties against the OL in the first game was definitely bad. The bottom line is whether you win or lose, though. Interference calls are often related to not being in position to make a play. That's bad.

It would be interesting to break down the types of penalties IUP has had. Clearly, the unsportsmanlike calls over the years have got to go.

IUP has also played very aggressively, especially on defense, which has inevitably led to some penalties. A few of those aren't necessarily a bad thing.
          I remember a lot of those Frank Sr. teams were notorious for personal foul calls. Some of that is what we now consider swagger, some of it just ego and overly aggressive play.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Not to jinx it but I've been very impressed with IUP's kickoff coverage team. They cover well, make the tackle and get off the field.

Past years we'd see the obligatory in-you-face taunting -- constantly ... which drew many of those flags.

They did a number on the kid from Ship we kept hearing about.

Comment

Not to jinx it but I've been very impressed with IUP's kickoff coverage team. They cover well, make the tackle and get off the field.

Past years we'd see the obligatory in-you-face taunting -- constantly ... which drew many of those flags.

Exactly what I was referencing. It was a hallmark of the latter part of the Frank Sr. tenure.

Comment

They did cover the kicks impressively. Douglas (KR) also contributed by not fielding several of the kicks cleanly. That kid has a good burst, and I think he'll have some other good returns before the season ends.

Comment

Well, Ship might be benefitting from penalties, but they've been hit with 95, 120, and 70 yards in their first three games, so it's not like the refs have been afraid to flag the Raiders.

Comment

I agree with this and the numbers seem to prove it. I think it’s human nature to flag the leading team when a game is getting out of hand.

Comment

• Some interesting numbers looking deeper in to Mercyhurst:

This year:
                      Opponent MU 1st Half Points Scored 2nd Half Points Scored
                      AB 31 14
                      Lock Haven 6 43
                      Kutztown 24 7

Last (4) games against IUP:
                      vs. IUP Lakers' 2nd half points scored
                      21 0
                      19 0
                      18 0
                      17 0

This years results are showing you're going to get one really strong half from Mercyhurst (offensively). Kutztown figured something out at halftime. The Lakers were moving the ball at will in the first half. KU scored 33 of its 50 points in the second half. Mercyhurst was (amazingly) losing to Lock Haven at halftime, 7-6. Then, of course, exploded for 43 in the second half. My hunch is they showed up for LH, went through the motions and then got the riot act at halftime from the HC. Both of their first two opponents were awful so those games can only tell you so much.

So, the question is can this years team put together a full 60 minutes? We haven't seen it yet. But, they've been very strong for half of each game.

And, talking about adjustments, the Lakers have not scored a second half point against IUP in the Tort Era.

Comment

And, talking about adjustments, the Lakers have not scored a second half point against IUP in the Tort Era.
                        Even further ... In the last 10 games between IUP and Mercyhurst, the Lakers have scored a grand total of 31 points in the second half.

Comment

Some interesting numbers looking deeper in to Mercyhurst:

This year:
                          Opponent MU 1st Half Points Scored 2nd Half Points Scored
                          AB 31 14
                          Lock Haven 6 43
                          Kutztown 24 7

Last (4) games against IUP:
                          vs. IUP Lakers' 2nd half points scored
                          21 0
                          19 0
                          18 0
                          17 0

This years results are showing you're going to get one really strong half from Mercyhurst (offensively). Kutztown figured something out at halftime. The Lakers were moving the ball at will in the first half. KU scored 33 of its 50 points in the second half. Mercyhurst was (amazingly) losing to Lock Haven at halftime, 7-6. Then, of course, exploded for 43 in the second half. My hunch is they showed up for LH, went through the motions and then got the riot act at halftime from the HC. Both of their first two opponents were awful so those games can only tell you so much.

So, the question is can this years team put together a full 60 minutes? We haven't seen it yet. But, they've been very strong for half of each game.

Is there any word on whether their QB Lowery will be playing ? Wasn't he injured last week. If #2 is playing it could be a tough day for them.

Comment

Singing to the choir, noticed that in this League 20 years ago. Go up and the flags start flying. It’s a travesty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Singing to the choir, noticed that in this League 20 years ago. Go up and the flags start flying. It’s a travesty.
                              Here is some data. There are some anomalies, but for the most part the bad teams usually lead the league in opponent penalties.

2002: SRU (7-4)
                              2003: Cheyney (2-9)
                              2004: SRU (4-7)
                              2005: Clarion (3-7)
                              2006: Cheyney (0-11)
                              2007: Cheyney (1-10)
                              2008: Lock Haven (0-11)
                              2009: Lock Haven (0-10)
                              2010: CW Post (7-4)
                              2011: Millersville (3-8)
                              2012: Millersville (2-9)
                              2013: Gannon (6-5)
                              2014: Cheyney (0-11)
                              2015: Clarion (7-4)
                              2016: Clarion (4-7)
                              2017: SRU (8-3)
                              2018: Clarion (4-7)
                              2019: Clarion (3-8)
                              2021: Clarion (0-11)

Comment

Here is some data. There are some anomalies, but for the most part the bad teams usually lead the league in opponent penalties.

2002: SRU (7-4)
                                2003: Cheyney (2-9)
                                2004: SRU (4-7)
                                2005: Clarion (3-7)
                                2006: Cheyney (0-11)
                                2007: Cheyney (1-10)
                                2008: Lock Haven (0-11)
                                2009: Lock Haven (0-10)
                                2010: CW Post (7-4)
                                2011: Millersville (3-8)
                                2012: Millersville (2-9)
                                2013: Gannon (6-5)
                                2014: Cheyney (0-11)
                                2015: Clarion (7-4)
                                2016: Clarion (4-7)
                                2017: SRU (8-3)
                                2018: Clarion (4-7)
                                2019: Clarion (3-8)
                                2021: Clarion (0-11)
                                Interesting looks like some of the zebras went to Clarion, ha ha.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X