• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeepBallEnjoyer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    From the Tort Show last night ...

* Sounds like all will play this week aside from Vaughn

* Tort hinted that Randy Washington will start to see more carries as he's getting closer to 100 percent. Tort said he's the fastest of the RBs. He also said he thinks Dayjure is getting closer to his old self.

* The elephant in the room (poor OL play) was brought up in the final moments of the hour-long show. Tort said he feels they are making progress but it has to happen much faster. He basically implied the cohesion isn't there yet.

* He said Mercyhurst is a hard venue to play at but didn't say why
    That show has just ticked me off the past two weeks. Tort just rubs me the wrong way. Finally watched last weeks episode and just zero accountability from the guy. As a coach you need to take the blame for a loss and he just spent the whole show whining about how there should have been penalties called to save the team from his terrible game day coaching.

Was happy to see them field a question from the audience about Karst's "low ball flight" to put it lightly. Glad the coaching staff is aware of that glaring issue(as oblivious as they seem). Glad to hear them touch on this and the incredible strength of their WR core's height and athleticism.

Tort seems confident they can get the run game going, but I think he's just blowing smoke. Some major improvements are gonna need to happen with that OL in order to make it happen. Talked about how the game was a big win and how the offense played much better in the second half, but I seriously worry about this coaching staff if they aren't breathing a sigh of relief after making it out of that game alive. Can NOT count on the defense to force 3 turnovers a game in order to win.

Zinobile interviewed pretty well, but I guess that's to be expected out of a player with that much experience. Audibly laughed when he said there was not much drop off between the D2 competition he's facing compared to D1 teams last year. Maybe he's being serious and on average it's true, but I think he's just being humble and avoiding speaking ill of his competition. The kid's opening game was against BAYLOR last year! Surely Shippensburg's DBs are on the same level as Baylor's LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

But no city takes the worst gut punches in sports than Philadelphia.

It gets old.
    I think Chicago is giving them a good run for their money these days. Bears, Blackhawks and White Sox all stink, Bulls have been mediocre since the Jordan days, and the Cubs are trying hard to play themselves out of a playoff spot at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    From the Tort Show last night ...

* Sounds like all will play this week aside from Vaughn

* Tort hinted that Randy Washington will start to see more carries as he's getting closer to 100 percent. Tort said he's the fastest of the RBs. He also said he thinks Dayjure is getting closer to his old self.

* The elephant in the room (poor OL play) was brought up in the final moments of the hour-long show. Tort said he feels they are making progress but it has to happen much faster. He basically implied the cohesion isn't there yet.

* He said Mercyhurst is a hard venue to play at but didn't say why

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

The season ends bad for all but one team.

Many teams' seasons are already over, postseason-wise, after three weeks. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.
    But no city takes the worst gut punches in sports than Philadelphia.

It gets old.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Playing freshmen up front and QB's always hurt obviously isn't a coincidence.

I did think Ship came out with a little spunk. Seemed to me that FB who got hurt early is thier leader on offense (perhaps not the stat leader but certainly the 'captain' out there). Once he left the game the air came out of the balloon pretty quickly. IUP had the BC Eagle rattled pretty bad by halftime and then pounced on him in the third quarter. He was running for his life in the second and third quarters.

I do think Ship has some nice RBs. They are just experiening the same thing the IUP backs are ... getting blown up immediately.

The last QB made some plays. I will say I'd guess you'll get your No. 1 and No. 5 back this week. Neither were in any slings or boots or anything and both are moving around decent. The FB ... not so sure. He appeared to have an ankle injury.
    Yeah, I've had a discussion with jrshooter on another thread about the "BC Eagle," Sam Johnson, and we agree he doesn't seem to have a particularly good feel for the game. I thought he was regarded as something of a dual-threat QB when he came to Ship, but he doesn't appear to have the type of speed to break away from DBs or even swift linebackers. That turnover resulting in a TD just before halftime was the result of simply holding on to the ball too long and a total unawareness of the IUP guy behind him. He has a decent arm, but like a lot of QBs I see at the D2 level has an issue with finding the proper touch on long routes. Some guys, even some with major athletic ability, never seem to get the hang of that. As far as I'm concerned, they might as well give Sam Stoner, the QB who came in toward the end, a shot at the Bloomsburg game as we've now had examples of what McCracken (5), Johnson, and Evan Falco can do, and the season appears to be basically in the toilet. Stoner actually had a good career at York William Penn High playing against mostly 6A opposition, and he's a coach's son who seems to have some feel for the game. He originally took a preferred walk-on spot at West Virginia, but apparently wanted to get somewhere with a better opportunity to play. But I suspect they'll start McCracken if he's healthy.

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Please do . We couldn’t be so lucky.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Ship needs to settle on a QB and get some continuity. It doesn't help that they seem to be playing freshmen on the o-line every year and that they've had a terrible problem with injuries at QB the past couple of seasons. Obviously they can't afford to hand a team such as IUP four turnovers and expect to stay in the game. The one just before halftime was a crusher that seemed to carry over into the second half. The trajectory of the program the last 3-4 years has not been good and, believe me, people around Shippensburg are starting to notice.

IUP certainly has better personnel than Ship and I didn't feel they were ever seriously in danger of an upset Saturday, but as you've pointed out the running game has not been there, and they don't look like a top 25 team at this point. They'll have to be much better to handle Slippery Rock and Cal.

Playing freshmen up front and QB's always hurt obviously isn't a coincidence.

I did think Ship came out with a little spunk. Seemed to me that FB who got hurt early is thier leader on offense (perhaps not the stat leader but certainly the 'captain' out there). Once he left the game the air came out of the balloon pretty quickly. IUP had the BC Eagle rattled pretty bad by halftime and then pounced on him in the third quarter. He was running for his life in the second and third quarters.

I do think Ship has some nice RBs. They are just experiening the same thing the IUP backs are ... getting blown up immediately.

The last QB made some plays. I will say I'd guess you'll get your No. 1 and No. 5 back this week. Neither were in any slings or boots or anything and both are moving around decent. The FB ... not so sure. He appeared to have an ankle injury.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

It’s pretty nice once you find it if you do it on your computer.

I liked watching them after they play. I DVR the Iggles too. I can’t take the stomach punches in sports any more. 50 plus years of constant disappointment in sports has its limits.
    The season ends bad for all but one team.

Many teams' seasons are already over, postseason-wise, after three weeks. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post
    Is there a place to rewatch the games?
    It’s pretty nice once you find it if you do it on your computer.

I liked watching them after they play. I DVR the Iggles too. I can’t take the stomach punches in sports any more. 50 plus years of constant disappointment in sports has its limits.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by DeepBallEnjoyer View Post
    PSAC Sports Network. There's an app for devices and one for Roku.

Leave a comment:

• DeepBallEnjoyer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    The OL must get better and the OC better start calling a better game too. Same BS plays! Get creative, please!

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Keep in mind Ship is bad - perhaps worst in the East, bad. To be fair, they had some dawgs out today (so did IUP).

It was a game the Timeout crew needed but don't get too warm and fuzzy. IUP wasn't great. Its opponent was pretty bad.
    Ship needs to settle on a QB and get some continuity. It doesn't help that they seem to be playing freshmen on the o-line every year and that they've had a terrible problem with injuries at QB the past couple of seasons. Obviously they can't afford to hand a team such as IUP four turnovers and expect to stay in the game. The one just before halftime was a crusher that seemed to carry over into the second half. The trajectory of the program the last 3-4 years has not been good and, believe me, people around Shippensburg are starting to notice.

IUP certainly has better personnel than Ship and I didn't feel they were ever seriously in danger of an upset Saturday, but as you've pointed out the running game has not been there, and they don't look like a top 25 team at this point. They'll have to be much better to handle Slippery Rock and Cal.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Soft is the right word. They used to have some nasty dudes up front that would bite your face off. I don’t see any of that with this group. Finally got to watch a Millersville game last night, which I’ve been eager to do since their turnaround. Their O-line is nasty and gets after the defense. They’re too one dimensional as an offense, but if my life depended on converting a fourth and one I’d follow them over what IUP is putting on the field right now.
    The running game didn't improve.

Adam Houser seems to be relegated to guard duty in Siberia. JD Younger had 8 yards on 7 carries. Karst was the leading rusher with 45 yards. Stewart looks better every week but they seem to still be gun-shy with him.

The RBs continue to get eaten alive about a millisecond after getting the ball.

Randy Washington got his first two carries yesterday and did show a little spark.

I don't think (at this point) that OL is just going to have some awakening moment. With three games of film now teams seem to know exactly how to attack them.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    A blow out is a blow out but wow does that offense need a lot of work. Karst looked like poop, the play calling sucks and the O-line is soft!
    Soft is the right word. They used to have some nasty dudes up front that would bite your face off. I don’t see any of that with this group. Finally got to watch a Millersville game last night, which I’ve been eager to do since their turnaround. Their O-line is nasty and gets after the defense. They’re too one dimensional as an offense, but if my life depended on converting a fourth and one I’d follow them over what IUP is putting on the field right now.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X