X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iupgh
    replied
    [QUOTE=IUPbigINDIANS;n750111]

Short answer: the internet (and society) has changed everything.

You can't sign a high school star QB today and think he's going to sit around for 2-3 years. It just doesn't happen ... (A) if you're honest with them, you just won't be able to sign them, or (B) they'll get redshirted and be in the transfer portal the week after the season ends. Social media builds these kids' egos up so big in high school that they all think they should be in the SEC or Big 10. Most are mad they landed in D2 let alone now being told they likely won't play for 2-3 years.

Quarterback isn't like the other positions. There are far fewer quality options. QB is also a diva position.

The guys Tort lost to the portal (or retirement) this off-season were never going to actually play here (at least not QB). The two younger ones that left ... one was a walk-on and the other was probably getting a crumb. Both were signed late in the cycle. They were both from tiny schools and extreme long-shots. I'd guess they both quickly saw the writing on the wall.

Now, the two they signed this year 'could' be different. These two have legit potential -- and the right size, arm, etc.,) to play at this level. One of them will be gone after the upcoming season. That will work itself out. The catch, obviously, is if Tort signs a transfer in the coming days/weeks who could be here 2-3 years. Karst Hunter, while probably a long shot, has two years' eligibility. Assuming he stays both years, now you're hoping the kid you invested in to be the future will actually stay here and wait. In today's climate, that's not overly likely.

They'll have (5) QBs on the roster this Fall.

1. Not-yet-here Starter
    2. Back-up
    3. Back-up
    4. True Freshman
    5. True Freshman

The No. 2 spot will be a battle between Nico Marchitelli and Mars Hill transfer Blayne Romano. I'd love both Romano and Marchitelli to still be here in the Fall ... but, we'll see. That should be a tight battle. Romano has some potential, however, Marchitelli has been in the system a year.

Getting kids to buy in for the long-term isn't just an IUP issue. This is the state of college sports. The days of kids staying in the program 4-5 years, largely, are long gone.[/.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I saw in the Twitter world that Duane Brown and Gannon QB Kory Curtis participated in Duquesne's Pro Day yesterday.

Hopefully both can catch on in a pro league.
    I wish Duane Brown would have come to Shepherd's pro day to catch passes with Bagent. 30 teams represented from the NFL there too. Would have been nice if the PSAC could have rallied around Shepherd having a couple players that would have given everyone else some great exposure, but I guess we don't team up like that. Duane would have been a better option than some of the guys catching passes earlier this week for Bagent. Both would have benefited.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I don't know why QB is different than all of the other positions. The old model seemed to be that a team would recruit a HS kid or two every year, then they would learn the system, get acclimated to college football (and life), and develop. There was seniority involved. Not that a QB in a lower academic class couldn't beat out the players ahead of him but time in the system meant something. Am I missing why that system doesn't work anymore and why it doesn't work for IUP?

Granted, if risk avoidance is a thing then bringing in a transfer QB who has actual experience as a starter elsewhere, or in the case of D1 transfers is just real good, might eliminate some question marks going into the season. Is there less risk in bringing in a transfer QB than the in-house model? Does the upside of who you can get in the transfer market outweigh all other considerations?
    Short answer: the internet (and society) has changed everything.

You can't sign a high school star QB today and think he's going to sit around for 2-3 years. It just doesn't happen ... (A) if you're honest with them, you just won't be able to sign them, or (B) they'll get redshirted and be in the transfer portal the week after the season ends. Social media builds these kids' egos up so big in high school that they all think they should be in the SEC or Big 10. Most are mad they landed in D2 let alone now being told they likely won't play for 2-3 years.

Quarterback isn't like the other positions. There are far fewer quality options. QB is also a diva position.

The guys Tort lost to the portal (or retirement) this off-season were never going to actually play here (at least not QB). The two younger ones that left ... one was a walk-on and the other was probably getting a crumb. Both were signed late in the cycle. They were both from tiny schools and extreme long-shots. I'd guess they both quickly saw the writing on the wall.

Now, the two they signed this year 'could' be different. These two have legit potential -- and the right size, arm, etc.,) to play at this level. One of them will be gone after the upcoming season. That will work itself out. The catch, obviously, is if Tort signs a transfer in the coming days/weeks who could be here 2-3 years. Karst Hunter, while probably a long shot, has two years' eligibility. Assuming he stays both years, now you're hoping the kid you invested in to be the future will actually stay here and wait. In today's climate, that's not overly likely.

They'll have (5) QBs on the roster this Fall.

1. Not-yet-here Starter
    2. Back-up
    3. Back-up
    4. True Freshman
    5. True Freshman

The No. 2 spot will be a battle between Nico Marchitelli and Mars Hill transfer Blayne Romano. I'd love both Romano and Marchitelli to still be here in the Fall ... but, we'll see. That should be a tight battle. Romano has some potential, however, Marchitelli has been in the system a year.

Getting kids to buy in for the long-term isn't just an IUP issue. This is the state of college sports. The days of kids staying in the program 4-5 years, largely, are long gone.

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    I don't know why QB is different than all of the other positions. The old model seemed to be that a team would recruit a HS kid or two every year, then they would learn the system, get acclimated to college football (and life), and develop. There was seniority involved. Not that a QB in a lower academic class couldn't beat out the players ahead of him but time in the system meant something. Am I missing why that system doesn't work anymore and why it doesn't work for IUP?

Granted, if risk avoidance is a thing then bringing in a transfer QB who has actual experience as a starter elsewhere, or in the case of D1 transfers is just real good, might eliminate some question marks going into the season. Is there less risk in bringing in a transfer QB than the in-house model? Does the upside of who you can get in the transfer market outweigh all other considerations?
    Portal changed it all. D2 football today and 10 years ago night and dayā€¦.Probably not for the betterā€¦Other than QB u can probably grab guys that would of been at least FCS kids in the past. A guy like Darius Bruce would of been a sure fire D1 kid, but portal and Covid year caused a new pecking order so he lands at IUP. The key then is to keep guys, Cal has struggled with this so far Tort unscaved.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I saw in the Twitter world that Duane Brown and Gannon QB Kory Curtis participated in Duquesne's Pro Day yesterday.

Hopefully both can catch on in a pro league.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Iā€™d rTher have another Brian Eyerman type recruit than a transfer but the environment is different than it was in 1999.
    Correct. Totally different. Back then if you went to a strong program it was pretty much understood you probably weren't going to play for a couple years. Granted, Eyerman did as a true freshman out of necessity after IUP's first two QBs went down early in that season.

Now, you worry about them transferring if they don't play fast enough. Uncle Ben is positive they should be at Georgia and not IUP. He saw little Johnny pick apart the secondary at Marion Center last Fall. You also worry about them playing so well they transfer up.

D2 football hasn't been crushed -- yet -- by the kids going up. D2 basketball is seeing all its stars leave early.

If you ever want a reality check pay attention on Senior Day. See how many of those guys started -- and ended -- their careers at the same place. That percentage shrinks every year. That's the funny thing on high school signing day. Everybody gets real excited when Tort signs 22 or 23 players. I just hope 6-7 of them will be here in 4-5 years.

These are very interesting times.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think IUP has a recent history of bringing in solid D2 quarterbacks but might have trouble developing them. I imagine this causes a circular cycle with transfer QBs. Bring in a transfer QB because the high school recruits aren't ready but then the high school recruits leave or don't develop because they're behind a transfer QB. Probably the only thing that breaks this cycle is one of the high school recruits finally making good strides and a lack of transfer QB options.
    Iā€™d rTher have another Brian Eyerman type recruit than a transfer but the environment is different than it was in 1999.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think IUP has a recent history of bringing in solid D2 quarterbacks but might have trouble developing them. I imagine this causes a circular cycle with transfer QBs. Bring in a transfer QB because the high school recruits aren't ready but then the high school recruits leave or don't develop because they're behind a transfer QB. Probably the only thing that breaks this cycle is one of the high school recruits finally making good strides and a lack of transfer QB options.
    Once you go down this path, it is a hard cycle to break.

I'm actually surprised they signed two high school QBs of the quality they did this off-season. Surely their reputation of bringing in hired mercenaries at the position works against them when recruiting high school QBs. Of course, it could also be a sign Tort is tired of searching the waiver wire every offseason.

The downside is we've never got to see these past three imports have a 'Year 2' in the system/program. The first two didn't even go through Spring Ball at IUP. Tort lucked out, though. Maxwell, Woodberry and Sexton all had very good seasons. I'm sure whomever they find to be the QB this Fall will also have a good year. Hell, he better with all the weapons and OL he's going to have.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They did sign two good high school QB prospects in this year's class. Obviously, one of them won't be here in two years.

These two incoming kids both have a shot to be legit D2 QBs. Of course, neither has gone to his senior prom yet, so the odds of seeing either of them on the field in the next 2-3 years isn't good.

The three QBs who left the program in the past year (just being realistic) were never going to play here unless there was drastic circumstances. If the younger two departures want to keep playing, they'll likely be in D3. Both came to IUP from extremely small high schools. I don't think either was actually on any scholarship money. The third, Logan Horn, I think just called it a career.

I get not everybody loves finding a new QB every year. But, it's worked out pretty well. I'd say Tort's 3 for 3 so far.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The only thing in IUPā€™s favor is the history of higher level transfers coming in and startingā€¦and doing well for the most part.

Although..ā€¦it would be nice to recruit a high school kid who plays 3 years at least.
    They did sign two good high school QB prospects in this year's class. Obviously, one of them won't be here in two years.

These two incoming kids both have a shot to be legit D2 QBs. Of course, neither has gone to his senior prom yet, so the odds of seeing either of them on the field in the next 2-3 years isn't good.

The three QBs who left the program in the past year (just being realistic) were never going to play here unless there was drastic circumstances. If the younger two departures want to keep playing, they'll likely be in D3. Both came to IUP from extremely small high schools. I don't think either was actually on any scholarship money. The third, Logan Horn, I think just called it a career.

I get not everybody loves finding a new QB every year. But, it's worked out pretty well. I'd say Tort's 3 for 3 so far.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I hear ya. You wouldnā€™t think heā€™d do the math and want to go there but itā€™s another DI offer on the list. I still think heā€™s leaning IUP, but there seems to be just enough chum in the water to keep him feeding.

As a player in the portal before the end of spring ball, youā€™d think there would be some pressure to sign before spring ball ends. All of the sudden there are a lot more players available and you run the risk of watching the dance and never finding a partner on the floor. It stands to reason heā€™ll announce his decision within the next week or so.
    The only thing in IUPā€™s favor is the history of higher level transfers coming in and startingā€¦and doing well for the most part.

Although..ā€¦it would be nice to recruit a high school kid who plays 3 years at least.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Bonanza. I remember eating there once or twice as a kid. Hossā€™s has stood the test of time and still thrives.
    The only Hossā€™s in the Philadelphia region was right here in Lionville where I liveā€¦it closed well before Covid and it was knocked down. It was there for almost a good 20 years..since the mid 90ā€™s. It was probably just no longer feasible being so far out of Hossā€™s main footprint.

I do wish Park N Eat would expand eastward. The closest one used to be off US 30 in Lancaster but it too closed years ago. I Am wondering when Sheetz finally crosses the one line they have avoided and open a store in the 5 county Philly area. Wawa is moving westward into Sheetz territory.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

There used to be a Bonanza or a Rustler along Wayne Ave and Spring 85 the high school kids came in for their Prom Dinner. Yep they sure did. Hossā€™s opened and they went out of business.
    Bonanza. I remember eating there once or twice as a kid. Hossā€™s has stood the test of time and still thrives.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Iupgh View Post
    Good luck with that offer, a 3-9 team with 2 games in Sept at BC and at Nebraska. How does a MAC team with 85 scholarships offer a D2 guyšŸ§. Five quarterbacks on roster must be brutal. For them to even offer is a bad look to the staff if u ask meā€¦just sayin
    I hear ya. You wouldnā€™t think heā€™d do the math and want to go there but itā€™s another DI offer on the list. I still think heā€™s leaning IUP, but there seems to be just enough chum in the water to keep him feeding.

As a player in the portal before the end of spring ball, youā€™d think there would be some pressure to sign before spring ball ends. All of the sudden there are a lot more players available and you run the risk of watching the dance and never finding a partner on the floor. It stands to reason heā€™ll announce his decision within the next week or so.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X