Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Jamestown be accepted into the NSIC?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Not sure why, it can't get any worse for them.
    Yes it can. A D1 hockey conference completely made up of D2 schools wouldn't have a say in any D1 matters affecting the hockey program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

Yeah, I said I was reaching :)

Jamestown’s ‘value’ is creating an even number. Meaning any school could provide that same ‘value’. Outside of that, they don’t provide anything to the current conference. Add to that the fact they will struggle in all sports, what do they bring that the NSIC so desperately needs right now?
      So adding Jamestown is no different than if the NSIC chose to add Alaska-Fairbanks, in your mind? The even number is the only appealing factor you see?

Comment

• I wonder what the onus was for UJ desire to be D2? Unlike USF did, they don't rule the GPAC. There is no financial gain in being D2, unless they think there will be an enrollment increase. Maybe they're tired of all those road trips to NE. I guess Mary, Minot, Moorhead and Northern are somewhat local. UJ is a small fish that's about to swim into a pool of sharks.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          I wonder what the onus was for UJ desire to be D2? Unlike USF did, they don't rule the GPAC. There is no financial gain in being D2, unless they think there will be an enrollment increase. Maybe they're tired of all those road trips to NE. I guess Mary, Minot, Moorhead and Northern are somewhat local. UJ is a small fish that's about to swim into a pool of sharks.
          Having a considerably lower travel budget is absolutely a financial gain for them.

Their nearest GPAC opponent is DWU, 248 miles away. In the NSIC, that distance will get them to MSU-Moorhead (98 miles), Northern State (105 miles), U-Mary (108 miles), UM-Crookston (155 miles), Minot State (172) and Bemidji State (226 miles). St. Cloud State and Southwest Minnesota State are under 300 miles, as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

So adding Jamestown is no different than if the NSIC chose to add Alaska-Fairbanks, in your mind? The even number is the only appealing factor you see?
            Man, you say some weird stuff to try to make your case for Jamestown. First, it was ‘we should kick out Bemidji’ when the all sports trophy was originally brought up. Again, Bemidji isn’t looking to try to join the conference, they’re already in. Then it was some nonsense about adding Alabama since some fans think they’re the type of schools the NSIC should go after. Now bringing it to an extreme with Alaska-Fairbanks. I’ll rephrase it so it’s easier for you to provide an answer rather than avoid and go extreme…any school within the NSIC landscape can fill the value of providing an even number. I honestly didn’t think I’d have to explain that 🤦🏼‍♂️

The even number isn’t the only appeal I see. It’s the only appeal at all, besides the “in the footprint”. I’ll ask again…what does Jamestown provide as value, specific to them? Especially what do they bring to the table that the NSIC needs so desperately? This has been repeatedly skipped.

The NSIC will be Jamestown’s 3rd conference in 10 years. They have an enrollment subsidized by athletes in a remote area. Call me cynical, but this doesn’t sound like the recipe for a long term relationship.

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

Yes it can. A D1 hockey conference completely made up of D2 schools wouldn't have a say in any D1 matters affecting the hockey program.
              A role currently filled by Bowling Green. What say do they really have? The CCHA is the laughing stick of D1 hockey. The red headed abandoned child on the side of the road. After kicking out Alabama and the Alaska schools we're the bad guys but keeping them tanked pairwise. It's a vicious cycle

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

A role currently filled by Bowling Green. What say do they really have? The CCHA is the laughing stick of D1 hockey. The red headed abandoned child on the side of the road. After kicking out Alabama and the Alaska schools we're the bad guys but keeping them tanked pairwise. It's a vicious cycle
                Just saying that UST and BGSU has a stake in anything related to D1 hockey. And being D1 schools, they do get a say.

Comment

I wonder what the onus was for UJ desire to be D2? Unlike USF did, they don't rule the GPAC. There is no financial gain in being D2, unless they think there will be an enrollment increase. Maybe they're tired of all those road trips to NE. I guess Mary, Minot, Moorhead and Northern are somewhat local. UJ is a small fish that's about to swim into a pool of sharks.
                  I believe the feeling from most is their enrollment will actually decrease due to cutting sports. And I guess it’s hard to argue when such a high percentage of enrollment is tied to athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I believe the feeling from most is their enrollment will actually decrease due to cutting sports. And I guess it’s hard to argue when such a high percentage of enrollment is tied to athletics.
                    Right they have to cut all their JV programs now. I'm not sure what the basketball roster size is on most NSIC teams but I'm betting it's not 34 players.

Comment

• Originally posted by AU guy View Post
                      Since we don't want this thread to die
                      Disagree! Ha.

Comment

VKF. their motivation for D2 is survival as an athletic program and school. The travel costs had to be immense for a very small NAIA school to deal with..and they have zero other options conference-wise up there in the NAIA....given the old NorthStar schools are now on life support until/unless they find something..real real soon. The GPAC then gave them the boot when their flirting with the NSIC became too much for the GPAC to just watch..when UJ wasn't someone they needed by any means.

We've talked about how Jamestown was the single most likely program to join the NSIC..1-2 years ago on this forum..as they were seemingly the most ready (relative term) to make the move among the ND NAIA schools and they were within the NSIC conference footprint. Sometimes decisions just work like this....there wasn't some better option for the NSIC for a new dance partner, but the number of programs in the conference needed to even-out for scheduling and such. There's also a prevailing thought in D2 at the moment that if a school is ready to join from NAIA/D3..take em..strength in numbers..when conferences like the GLIAC, GSC, and others are struggling badly with getting enough members. At the end of the day, it doesn't seem all that much different than when USF and Minot joined the league..only that USF came in with a respected football tradition..otherwise, both schools are smallish compared to the rest of the membership and weren't going to wow everyone else athletically.

While the MIAA courted Wayne State during their ongoing expansion, the Wildcats don't appear to be ready for such a change at this point and time. Knowing Wayne and Augie are both "in" for the foreseeable future..I'm not going to sweat the UJ move into the NSIC..if it'll help with scheduling and so forth in the league and help things get back to normal (rivals playing again each year)..and as long as the silos don't return as a result of this new addition. Being down about this decision of letting UJ in....I just don't see anything good coming out of it..and instead let's see if they can better their program over the next 1-2 years and see if they can compete come the fall of 2025.

Sorry for the novel..

Comment

• Thank you Stanger86 and Witt for benefits of adding Jamestown University. Will be a tough row for them to hoe, but who knows 5-10 years where they will be competition wise. For the most part the league rescued them.

Comment

• I'm just here to try and push this thread to page 83.

Oh and Witt is 100% dead on about Jamestown

Comment

• On a related note- has anyone heard more about what will happen to the surviving members of the North Star?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

VKF. their motivation for D2 is survival as an athletic program and school.
                                Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                                Thank you Stanger86 and Witt for benefits of adding Jamestown University. Will be a tough row for them to hoe, but who knows 5-10 years where they will be competition wise. For the most part the league rescued them.
                                Seems like a winning combo.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X