Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

I think overall the Gazette does a very good job with IUP football and basketball coverage.

I'd like to see more columns, per say, about the teams. Perhaps not by Tony or Matt since they cover the 'beat' per say.

It would be interesting to get columns on the fan experience, rivalries, 'remember when', opinion pieces, etc.

Tony said they wanted to provide D1 coverage. The only part missing is the commentarty. D1 coverage isn't all unicorns and roses. Sometimes teams get called out in opinion pieces.

For example, many of the things we yap about on here are real topics .. redshirts, inability to bust a zone, etc.

I realize the Gazette needs IUP much more than IUP needs the Gazette, so obviously there is a fine line there.

I'm not saying 'bash' columns but educated ones. Readership and fans have interest in those angles and storylines.

My main critique is the basketball stories rarely, if ever, get quotes from the opposing coach. It is interesting to hear both points of view.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 05-22-2019, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      I think overall the Gazette does a very good job with IUP football and basketball coverage.

I'd like to see more columns, per say, about the teams. Perhaps not by Tony or Matt since they cover the 'beat' per say.

It would be interesting to get columns on the fan experience, rivalries, 'remember when', opinion pieces, etc.

Tony said they wanted to provide D1 coverage. The only part missing is the commentarty. D1 coverage isn't all unicorns and roses. Sometimes teams get called out in opinion pieces.

For example, many of the things we yap about on here are real topics .. redshirts, inability to bust a zone, etc.

I realize the Gazette needs IUP much more than IUP needs the Gazette, so obviously there is a fine line there.

I'm not saying 'bash' columns but educated ones. Readership and fans have interest in those angles and storylines.

My main critique is the basketball stories rarely, if ever, get quotes from the opposing coach. It is interesting to hear both points of view.

Comment

No doubt. I'm not talking Ron Cook or Bob Smizik level attack columns.

For instance, IUP played Mercyhurst (4) times this past season. The first meeting, in Erie, IUP scored 77 points (47 of which came after halftime).

From there, IUP was only able to score 63, 56 and 65 points against the Lakers. On the season, IUP averaged 79.6 ppg.

Why was that? What changed, etc. Slippery Rock played the Lakers (3) times and averaged 81 ppg against them. Why? I think those would be interesting stories.

Granted, within the readership of the IG ... probably like 7 of us would be interested to actually read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

The one opposing coach that always seems to get quoted is Gary Manchel, oddly enough. Perhaps he and Tony have developed somewhat of a relationship over the years. I thing Rackavina (sp?) from UPJ usually has a quote or two as well.
          Gary Edwards wrote his column every Saturday during the season. A lot of his articles were really outstanding. They were always the first thing that I would flip to on Saturday's. He was really an original type of guy. Really loved his thinking and writing. I would list him as a huge influence on how I got into posting about IUP sports back in late 2002/early 2003. I always tried to be a little zany and outside the box with what I wrote. But I guess in the end---you are who you are. It's fun to be little offbeat. LOL.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
            I wonder if the kid who did the hatchet job on Cignetti and the football program a few years ago needs a side gig? Lol
            Cody works at CBS.

But we did both have Randy Jesick's Sports Journalism class together and Matt Burglund (does he post on this board, or just the football one) was one of our weekly guest speakers. Tony C was too. But I remember Matt talking about having to straddle the line of being critical with a coach, but not too much to the point where they might just never talk to you again for stories. That's obviously a concern for every journalist. The better relationship you have with people, the better quotes you'll get. If a coach doesn't want to talk to you, they're not going to talk to you. With the IUP football beat under Cignetti, assistant coaches weren't allowed to speak to the media. That's a Nick Saban rule.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
              Cody works at CBS.

But we did both have Randy Jesick's Sports Journalism class together and Matt Burglund (does he post on this board, or just the football one) was one of our weekly guest speakers. Tony C was too. But I remember Matt talking about having to straddle the line of being critical with a coach, but not too much to the point where they might just never talk to you again for stories. That's obviously a concern for every journalist. The better relationship you have with people, the better quotes you'll get. If a coach doesn't want to talk to you, they're not going to talk to you. With the IUP football beat under Cignetti, assistant coaches weren't allowed to speak to the media. That's a Nick Saban rule.

And, Matt's right. But, that's also the charm of being the only media covering a team in a podunk town like Indiana. That would never fly in D1 where the coaches are contractually required to speak to the media once during the week and after the games.

Here, they get to feel way more important and powerful. This board is the only place they ever get called out on anything (and, basically, like 9 people read this board).

Imagine if some big D1 team had the summer that IUP football had last year with all the academic casualties, etc. Tort would have been under heavy heat and would have had to answer for it. Same with Joe and the infamous DeVante Chance fiasco in January of 2014. To this day Joe has never said a word about it publicly. It went down on a Friday night. Both players not only played the rest of the season but played the next night. Talk about protected ...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                Gary Edwards wrote his column every Saturday during the season. A lot of his articles were really outstanding. They were always the first thing that I would flip to on Saturday's. He was really an original type of guy. Really loved his thinking and writing. I would list him as a huge influence on how I got into posting about IUP sports back in late 2002/early 2003. I always tried to be a little zany and outside the box with what I wrote. But I guess in the end---you are who you are. It's fun to be little offbeat. LOL.

-

Gary continued his weekly column (to this day). He's actually had them published in to a book.

Comment

The PSAC schedule for IUP has posted on the team web site. The non-conference games are not included.

Of note:

* East Stroudsburg visits the KCAC over Thanksgiving Break (Sunday night / 7:30 p.m.)

* Tough weekend road trip Dec. 20 and 21 -- at Shepherd and at Shippensburg. It is an advantage playing at Ship with no students on campus

* Mercyhurst visits Monday night, Jan. 6

* Two days later IUP travels to Slippery Rock (another nice advantage playing in Morrow over break in front of what will probably be a pro-IUP crowd). Three days later at Gannon. Tough week.

* Jan. 22 at UPJ ... going to be a big one

* Saturday night, Feb. 8, SRU visits the KCAC

* Saturday night, Feb. 29, UPJ visits the KCAC for the regular season finale. This one could have real big implications on the West race.

* Saturday night home dates: Bloomsburg, Cal, Clarion, SRU, Gannon, UPJ

In addition, I'd assume the non-conference lineup will probably have one road game (likely at Bowie State). If the Fairmont State series is continuing they'd be coming up here this year.

Comment

UPJ's schedule is up.

They are playing at West Virginia Wesleyan and at Concord to open the season -- which means for the first time in forever they aren't going to open up at IUP's tournament. That also means Concord isn't coming back.

UPJ is also playing a road game at Thiel (odd) and is hosting Carlow.

Nov. 27 and Nov. 28 they are playing in the Puerto Rico Tournament ... so they will be missing IUP's Thanksgiving tournament (again, first time in forever).

May not be a coincidence (either way) they aren't coming to the early weekends at the KCAC.

Comment

UPJ's schedule is up.

They are playing at West Virginia Wesleyan and at Concord to open the season -- which means for the first time in forever they aren't going to open up at IUP's tournament. That also means Concord isn't coming back.

UPJ is also playing a road game at Thiel (odd) and is hosting Carlow.

Nov. 27 and Nov. 28 they are playing in the Puerto Rico Tournament ... so they will be missing IUP's Thanksgiving tournament (again, first time in forever).

May not be a coincidence (either way) they aren't coming to the early weekends at the KCAC.
                      UPJ going a different route this fall... interesting.

Could Clarion or Cal being taking that spot? TBC

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        UPJ going a different route this fall... interesting.

Could Clarion or Cal being taking that spot? TBC
                        I think Bob knows he has a loaded team ... doesn't want Joe to get too much exposure.

Or, maybe the other way around.

Comment

Some rumors swirling down at the KCAC. There may be a big signing announced in the next 24-48 hours.

Comment

Men's basketball just tweeted "two bits of great news coming later today"

Comment

Men's basketball just tweeted "two bits of great news coming later today"
                              Saw that... I'm assuming one is the return of Dom Keyes and the other is the signing of a big.

Comment

** BREAKING **

IUP has signed Anastasios Demogerontas (6'7", 215 lbs) -- formerly of Northern Illinois.

Appears to have 1 year of eligibility ...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X