X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Just a pathetic game. How do you not have plays ready to get the ball inbounds???
    Terribly coached game. Like I said, if it's not a half court game, this current Joe regime is clueless. That was embarrassing.

Worst game Joe ever coached at IUP.

I get Gannon is better, but he was humiliated.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-13-2024, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    I was at SRU today and they came out hot and built a sizable lead. They never trailed. I haven't checked out PSAC MBB until this week so prior to the game as I got familiar with the CalU record and starting lineup. This game looked like a CalU beat down in the making. I can’t believe CalU came in with a 16-1 record.

However CalU came out ice cold and SRU was hitting on all cylinders. It got ugly a few times in the second half. Sancomb is such a poor role model for that program. His constant swearing and other assorted antics are an embarrassment to CAL. He should have been ejected and at one point prompting the attending Police officer to come to the scorers table as things appeared to be spiralling very much out of control. But it was eventually settled without incident. Herster for SRU had 36 and KJ McKlurg had 34 for CalU. The rematch should be interesting.
    Keep in mind Cal is devasted with injuries (three starters and a top reserve all out).

If they are actually healthy in the rematch they'll hammer SRU.

Leave a comment:

• IUPTrackMan
    replied
    I was at SRU today and they came out hot and built a sizable lead. They never trailed. I haven't checked out PSAC MBB until this week so prior to the game as I got familiar with the CalU record and starting lineup. This game looked like a CalU beat down in the making. I can’t believe CalU came in with a 16-1 record.

However CalU came out ice cold and SRU was hitting on all cylinders. It got ugly a few times in the second half. Sancomb is such a poor role model for that program. His constant swearing and other assorted antics are an embarrassment to CAL. He should have been ejected and at one point prompting the attending Police officer to come to the scorers table as things appeared to be spiralling very much out of control. But it was eventually settled without incident. Herster for SRU had 36 and KJ McKlurg had 34 for CalU. The rematch should be interesting.

I checked the IUP score at halftime and was very surprised at the margin until someone reminded me that Gannon had a new coach and system. Forgot that happened. Jordan had it working on all cylinders today.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Just a pathetic game. How do you not have plays ready to get the ball inbounds???

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Congrats to GU.

As for IUP, ... Total embarrassment

Joe has reached the point he can't beat any team that doesn't play PSAC half-court turtle ball. Lack of effort and fire on his end.

Hope they are humiliated because that was pitiful.

The other reality, as we already knew, is this isn't a good team. It's obviously not competing for any titles. They need to regroup and focus on third in the West (which is attainable). The ceiling is maybe winning one game in the conference tournament.

They are nowhere near the level of Cal and GU. Joe's recruiting hasn't been good and it showed today. GU built that roster in one off-season and Joe has a whole bench of guys that he won't even play. Disgusting.
    I watched the first half of that. I thought that they might eventually wear IUP down, but was surprised to see IUP come out of the gate that slowly. A lot of turnovers, combined with Gannon making virtually everything they threw up while IUP didn't shoot well. It's a weird league this year.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Congrats to GU.

Joe has reached the point he can't beat any team that doesn't play PSAC half-court turtle ball. Lack of effort and fire on his end.

The other reality, as we already knew, is this isn't a good team. It's obviously not competing for any titles. They need to regroup and focus on third in the West (which is attainable). The ceiling is maybe winning one game in the conference tournament.

They are nowhere near the level of Cal and GU. Joe's recruiting hasn't been good and it showed today. GU built that roster in one off-season and Joe has a whole bench of guys that he won't even play. Disgusting.
    Not a good day for IUP basketball, men or women.

Your point about what Gannon has been able to do during one off season of recruiting is telling. IUP went backwards losing key pieces that certainly would be helping them now while Gannon added significantly. Clarke was a good get, but that doesn’t come close to offsetting the losses. I don’t really count Radford because that call would have never happened had IUP been in a better spot with the roster.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Congrats to GU.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Unable to watch today aside from about first 15 minutes.

Joe looked totally lost and unprepared ... Trying to play snail ball (as we assumed doing the total opposite of what Cal did).

Disappointing to see.

​​

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    FYI, playing Gannon at Cathedral Prep tomorrow will be like playing in a fan box. It’ll feel as tight or tighter than Hurst.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Cal's bigs (Hall and Lucas) are basically big guards. That really helped them shred Gannon. Ethan is not meant for that speed, obviously.
    Millersville has nice size as well. The team that played most of the minutes at Ship went 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, 6-6, and 6-8. And these are not scrawny guys. All the guards weigh in at the 190- to 200-pound range, Matt Dade is 215, and their big guy, Stover, is 245. They just overpowered Ship in the second half. Dade is listed as a forward, but is really more of a swingman. Their guards had height and about 30 pounds of weight advantage over most of the Ship guards.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

If IUP can stay out of foul trouble, I'd give them a good shot. The Radford guy seems to be able to hit open 3s, which he should get on occasion against Gannon, and Clarke is the type of player who could give them problems. It might be problematic for Porterfield to keep up that kind of pace for 40 minutes, so I'd say they'll have to get something off the bench.
    Cal's bigs (Hall and Lucas) are basically big guards. That really helped them shred Gannon. Ethan is not meant for that speed, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

They can’t try and slow things to a snail’s pace like they did against West Liberty last year. You have to attack when the opportunities are there. I can’t imagine they can do that for 40 minutes only bringing Petteno and KJ off the bench, so let’s hope Joe doesn’t try. I think Garvin could have a huge day in a game like this.
    If IUP can stay out of foul trouble, I'd give them a good shot. The Radford guy seems to be able to hit open 3s, which he should get on occasion against Gannon, and Clarke is the type of player who could give them problems. It might be problematic for Porterfield to keep up that kind of pace for 40 minutes, so I'd say they'll have to get something off the bench.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Tomorrows game at Gannon will be interesting. a few people mentioned not being convinced Gannon is that good. Cal beat them pretty easily with a short bench. Millersville also won easily. "The System" gives you gaudy offensive stats, runs the score's up against weaker teams. But the IUP bench will have to contribute. Maybe someone like Lambert might thrive against the system ? Or maybe IUP gets in another shooting funk and gets crushed - the system is good for exploiting cold spells. we'll see
    They can’t try and slow things to a snail’s pace like they did against West Liberty last year. You have to attack when the opportunities are there. I can’t imagine they can do that for 40 minutes only bringing Petteno and KJ off the bench, so let’s hope Joe doesn’t try. I think Garvin could have a huge day in a game like this.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

You need some context to the obituary.

Nobody even remotely thought of Bryce Radford. He was a real key addition as it turns out (14 treys in last two games). Remember, back in November he was working a full-time job and retired from basketball.

Add to it, the mini-miracle of Garvin Clarke winning his NCAA appeal and returning last night. He's a beast on both ends.

​​​​​​Like we said earlier, their starting five can probably hang with anybody (even without Dallis Dillard). Garvin is an elite PG and slasher. Bryce can launch from Row 7, which in turn has opened the floor. Jaylen Stewart now has a green light and can slash or launch. Porterfield is Porterfield. And, Damir Brooks can do some heavy damage in his muscle / garbage man role.

Those five are more than adequate - and a very tough match-up. Great blend of players and skill sets to go along with size.

IUP's bench, however, is an utter disaster. Obviously, Dillard tore his ACL and is out for the season. What's left is a hodge-podge of largely unproductive players.

Bench:

Josh Petteno - Joe's alleged big signing ... He hustles but just isn't giving them anything on offense. He was benched the entire second half the past two games.

Jordan Lambert - Some games he plays a lot and others not at all. He's a spark and a good shooter but is very raw on defense. True freshman walk-on. He didn't play at all last night.

Dolan Waldo - Former hyped recruit ... largely in Joe's doghouse all year. Plays very little. He should play more. He didn't play at all last night. He's 6'7", athletic and can shoot.

KJ Rhodes - This is well-documented. Good guy and good teammate, but his productivity is very limited.

Sark Furton - True freshman PG ... He got some run early but has vanished the past month.

Callum MacNamara - Deep bench reserve forward (walk-on) who rarely plays. Big, physical player but at best a deep bench role. Also, he is currently injured and has missed the last two games.

Unavailable/Injured: Dillard, Kasabele, Romero-Sanz, Watson

So, you can do the math here pretty quickly. If Joe has to go to the bench he's in trouble. Of course, those guys can't develop if he never plays them.

With adding Radford and getting Clarke back, they are a pretty good, scrappy team. Not great. Good.
    Well, obviously getting Clarke back changes the game considerably as it was initially reported that he likely was out for the season. (What was the deal there? That whole episode seems a little weird.) Same with Radford. Hey, it's been mostly IUP guys talking down IUP. I'm sure several of the teams IUP has beaten this season would love to have your issues.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

You need some context to the obituary.

Nobody even remotely thought of Bryce Radford. He was a real key addition as it turns out (14 treys in last two games). Remember, back in November he was working a full-time job and retired from basketball.

Add to it, the mini-miracle of Garvin Clarke winning his NCAA appeal and returning last night. He's a beast on both ends.

​​​​​​Like we said earlier, their starting five can probably hang with anybody (even without Dallis Dillard). Garvin is an elite PG and slasher. Bryce can launch from Row 7, which in turn has opened the floor. Jaylen Stewart now has a green light and can slash or launch. Porterfield is Porterfield. And, Damir Brooks can do some heavy damage in his muscle / garbage man role.

Those five are more than adequate - and a very tough match-up. Great blend of players and skill sets to go along with size.

IUP's bench, however, is an utter disaster. Obviously, Dillard tore his ACL and is out for the season. What's left is a hodge-podge of largely unproductive players.

Bench:

Josh Petteno - Joe's alleged big signing ... He hustles but just isn't giving them anything on offense. He was benched the entire second half the past two games.

Jordan Lambert - Some games he plays a lot and others not at all. He's a spark and a good shooter but is very raw on defense. True freshman walk-on. He didn't play at all last night.

Dolan Waldo - Former hyped recruit ... largely in Joe's doghouse all year. Plays very little. He should play more. He didn't play at all last night. He's 6'7", athletic and can shoot.

KJ Rhodes - This is well-documented. Good guy and good teammate, but his productivity is very limited.

Sark Furton - True freshman PG ... He got some run early but has vanished the past month.

Callum MacNamara - Deep bench reserve forward (walk-on) who rarely plays. Big, physical player but at best a deep bench role. Also, he is currently injured and has missed the last two games.

Unavailable/Injured: Dillard, Kasabele, Romero-Sanz, Watson

So, you can do the math here pretty quickly. If Joe has to go to the bench he's in trouble. Of course, those guys can't develop if he never plays them.

With adding Radford and getting Clarke back, they are a pretty good, scrappy team. Not great. Good.
    Tomorrows game at Gannon will be interesting. a few people mentioned not being convinced Gannon is that good. Cal beat them pretty easily with a short bench. Millersville also won easily. "The System" gives you gaudy offensive stats, runs the score's up against weaker teams. But the IUP bench will have to contribute. Maybe someone like Lambert might thrive against the system ? Or maybe IUP gets in another shooting funk and gets crushed - the system is good for exploiting cold spells. we'll see

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X