Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not surprising, but Kyle Polce has signed with Ron Fudala.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Not surprising, but Kyle Polce has signed with Ron Fudala.
      Diop next?

Comment

• Morris inks professional basketball contract in Ireland - Indiana University of Pennsylvania Athletics (iupathletics.com)

Comment

• It would be interesting to know how many PSAC guys are playing ball in Europe now.

Comment

• Lexi Griggs is the new director of basketball operations for the North Carolina A&T women's team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

It would be interesting to know how many PSAC guys are playing ball in Europe now.
              It's a lot, but there are also dozens of leagues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It's a lot, but there are also dozens of leagues.
                I don't think many play very long. Seems most stay over there a year or two.

Jacobo Diaz and Dustin Sleva are both in more exclusive leagues (i.e. making much more money).

Comment

I don't think many play very long. Seems most stay over there a year or two.

Jacobo Diaz and Dustin Sleva are both in more exclusive leagues (i.e. making much more money).
                  Most probably go over for the experience and to give themselves another year or two playing the game. It's nice that these players can have that opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Most probably go over for the experience and to give themselves another year or two playing the game. It's nice that these players can have that opportunity.
                    It seems our top post players have had much more success overseas -- especially at getting to the higher levels.

Cobo and Sleva could have easily played in D1 their final two collegiate seasons. I'd guess they are both doing pretty well financially.

Former IUP post player Willem Brandwijk is also having a lot of success. IUP could have got so much more out of him.

Comment

It seems our top post players have had much more success overseas -- especially at getting to the higher levels.

Cobo and Sleva could have easily played in D1 their final two collegiate seasons. I'd guess they are both doing pretty well financially.

Former IUP post player Willem Brandwijk is also having a lot of success. IUP could have got so much more out of him.
                      There are even some openings for the women now. Arial Jones has been playing in Australia.

Comment

• Looking at the Cathedral Prep HS Twitter feed, it looks like their head coach Steve Piotrowicz is coming back to IUP to be Joe’s assistant again.

Im not sure I like this hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                          Looking at the Cathedral Prep HS Twitter feed, it looks like their head coach Steve Piotrowicz is coming back to IUP to be Joe’s assistant again.

Im not sure I like this hire.

I don't remember him at all. Of course, trying to remember all of Joe's assistants is a pretty daunting task.

I can tell you that's not an easy job. He's tough on those guys -- especially the younger ones.

Comment

• Someone more connected than me will have more insight, but I wrote his name as someone maybe Edinboro would kick the tires on and learned he basically was not asked to come back to Cathedral Prep. Not sure what happened but he won the Class 5A state title in 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                              Someone more connected than me will have more insight, but I wrote his name as someone maybe Edinboro would kick the tires on and learned he basically was not asked to come back to Cathedral Prep. Not sure what happened but he won the Class 5A state title in 2021.
                              He won a state title with zero Philly area teams playing and most of Pittsburgh not playing. Let’s not forget that!

When you speak inappropriately to HS girls, you’re not going to have a job. Prep kept that hidden. Dirty! Why Joe asked him back is very confusing to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                                Someone more connected than me will have more insight, but I wrote his name as someone maybe Edinboro would kick the tires on and learned he basically was not asked to come back to Cathedral Prep. Not sure what happened but he won the Class 5A state title in 2021.

The assistants do play a very important role. Hopefully he can blend in to the program and contribute. Joe's had a very good run of hiring quality assistants so hopefully that continues.

This upcoming season is a big task for Joe. He's got the talent on the roster. But, man, there are a lot of new parts and pieces.

I think he certainly improved the overall team speed. Adding a natural point guard was also extremely important. By most reports, Akron transfer Garvin Clarke is very similar in style of play to former UPJ PG Fred Mulbah. Clarke is just a couple inches taller. He's also a very strong, annoying defender.

The guard rotation (in theory) is better -- and much deeper. I'd guess Clarke (PG), Dillard and Stewart are the starting three. Patteno and Kabasele come off the bench but both play a lot. I'd guess Watson and Lambert both redshirt. Patteno averaged nearly 17 ppg game in D2 last year and is the big (6'5") outside shooter Joe's lacked for a while. Kabasele's game is pretty similar to Shawndale's style. He's a very physical guard.

Underneath I'm guessing Porterfield and Waldo start, with Brooks and Romero-Sanz off the bench.

What's interesting is Joe has two guards on the bench that would start at most places. We all know his track record of playing a small rotation. We'll see how this plays out. There are some inklings around town that he may play some four-guard lineups this year. Hell, he could throw some curveballs and play with five guards in short stretches.

Underneath, a healthy Porterfield is a game-changer. Can he 'stay' healthy a full season? That's the biggest question. Waldo is going to be a big hit. His game and skill set projects very similarly to Cal's Keith Palek. He needed to bulk up a bit this off-season so hopefully that happened.

Brooks will be the spark plug off the bench. Until his Daddy Ugbede syndrome goes away, I don't think he can stay out of foul trouble for more than 10-12 minutes per game. He'll certainly be the 'muscle' guy.

I've heard some good things about Romero-Sanz, but we'll see when the lights get bright. He's a muscular, athletic guy at nearly 6'9". He can handle the ball pretty well and has a nice shot. I'd assume this will be his transition year and Joe will slowly work him in to things.

Coming out of last year I think some things were abundantly clear:

1. Joe needed to get (quality) deeper. It appears that was accomplished.

2. Joe needed to get faster.

3. They needed more quality depth underneath. Losing Tomiwa sure didn't help.

4. He needs to play more guys. He ran that team in to the ground last year. Will that change? We'll see. I have my doubts.

5. They need to return to IUP basketball. Last year dwarfed in to a playground / one-man show. That can't happen again. Joe's team in December would have blasted Joe's team in March. That can never happen again.

It's going to be interesting. There could be some 'WTF' nights early in the season. But, they have the potential to be pretty strong in the second half.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X