X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

Several of the last few concerts at the KCAC have not done well at the gate. If you are registered online for events they were sending out mass email deals up until the days of the shows with half-off tickets, etc.

WWE was really the event of the year. It packed the place (and wasn't cheap). Some of the non-concert events have done well. The wine fest and also the beer fest had pretty good turnouts. The KCAC also did very well hosting high school wrestling events and some high school basketball playoff games.

The place is never going to host A-List acts like the Bryce Jordan Center. It's too small and those shows cost too much. But, I agree the selection of the B- and C-List acts hasn't been too hot the past couple years.

I don't even think the 'folk from the hills' around Indiana wanted to see The Gambler when he was in town.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I would tend to agree with you here. Kenny was in First Edition in the 1960s and reached his apex as a solo singer in the 1970s/early 1980s. He would not be a real draw for the younger crowd.

-
    And that there is the difference. The OnState program was both campus programming and community engagement. That's why it was funded with university dollars. The shows at the KCAC are all done by an external promoter and are mostly acts that would have been at the Johnstown arena and some new ones that they can get to add a show between Pittsburgh and State College. But most of the shows are geared to who is buying tickets - the community.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    Most of Kenny Roger's old fanbase is either dead or too old to go out.

I doubt a single student went to that concert.
    I would tend to agree with you here. Kenny was in First Edition in the 1960s and reached his apex as a solo singer in the 1970s/early 1980s. He would not be a real draw for the younger crowd.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I believe I heard that the Kenny Rogers concert at the KCAC a few years back was only half full. They probably took a beating on that show. At least before with the "OnStage" shows they were only trying to fill crappy Fisher Auditorium, which I am guessing seats much, much less than the KCAC.
    Most of Kenny Roger's old fanbase is either dead or too old to go out.

I doubt a single student went to that concert.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    While the Beach Boys topic and that era is being discussed ... pretty interesting how close Charlie Manson was to the one member. A lot of people don't know about that friendship. The Beach Boys actually recorded a song Manson wrote although I don't think they released it. They then didn't credit him for writing it and, well, Charlie didn't like that very much. Interesting story to read.
    All very true! Dennis Wilson actually had the Manson family living in his house for a time before the Tate/La Bianca murders. In fact it was Dennis' introduction of Manson to record producer Terry Melcher who at the time lived at the infamous 10050 Cielo Drive address in Benedict Canyon where the Sharon Tate murders would take place. Melcher of course is best known as the adopted son of Doris Day and as a part of the recording duo of Bruce and Terry (Bruce Johnston later of the Beach Boys) who are best known for their hit "Summer Means Fun." Yeah, it is very interesting how the Tate murders don't happen there if Manson hadn't been there and introduced to Melcher through Dennis Wilson. I believe that the Beach Boys song that was penned by Manson was called "Never Learn Not to Love." They had changed the title and other things and he indeed was not given a writing credit for it. You can actually hear Manson singing if you do a youtube search. Rather surprisingly, he was not that bad of a singer at all.

Dennis Wilson of course died of drowning at the age of 39 in December of 1983 as a homeless drug/drink addicted man. His last months were very sad to read about it.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

While the Beach Boys topic and that era is being discussed ... pretty interesting how close Charlie Manson was to the one member. A lot of people don't know about that friendship. The Beach Boys actually recorded a song Manson wrote although I don't think they released it. They then didn't credit him for writing it and, well, Charlie didn't like that very much. Interesting story to read.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    The concert industry has flipped its financial model. In years past acts would do dozens of shows and get a percentage of the cut. Now they get a guaranteed fee regardless of tickets sold.
    I believe I heard that the Kenny Rogers concert at the KCAC a few years back was only half full. They probably took a beating on that show. At least before with the "OnStage" shows they were only trying to fill crappy Fisher Auditorium, which I am guessing seats much, much less than the KCAC.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by NathanVC View Post
    "Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper never would have happened....Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds."
    Absolutely! I also think that Brian Wilson was inspired by the Beatles album "Rubber Soul" (or was it "Revolver") to make "Pet Sounds." I guess in just my opinion that I don't consider Sgt. Peppers to be even in the same stratosphere as Pet Sounds.

Smile featured the brilliant and yet maybe too far out there lyrics of Van Dyke Parks. I had a hard time relating to his work as original as it was. Nobody else could write like him I doubt. Just not sure if I thought it was a good fit in a Beach Boys record. I once bought a CD of "Smiley Smile" (the precursor to Smile) and immediately took it back to the music store for a store credit. I absolutely hated it. I agree with your comment on Dennis' work. He was so underrated buried beneath the ultra-talents of Brian and Carl. I liked the rather obscure late '70s Beach Boys efforts on MIU Album and L.A. (Light Album). Not the brilliant Pet Sounds stuff but kind of a really cool sound of where the guys were at that time.

-

Leave a comment:

• NathanVC
    replied

Some years back IUP had a great entertainment program going called "OnStage" that booked a lot of the great acts that you mentioned.

Now we have the KCAC management who just blows major azz! They are horrible at what they do. They should have good acts streaming through town but they are clueless in how to run a venue. Incompetent idiots should be fired.

Mike Love is a consummate professional entertainer. Everybody always has good things to say about his shows. Too bad two of the Wilson brothers have passed on and everybody else in the band is too busy bringing suit against one another to ever play together.

Man, what's all this crazy talk about the 50th anniversary release of the Beatles Sgt. Pepper album and folks runnin' around talkin' it up as the greatest album ever made? That record couldn't hold a candle to the Beach Boys landmark 1966 "Pet Sounds" album. Not even in the same universe!

-
    "Without Pet Sounds, Sgt. Pepper never would have happened....Pepper was an attempt to equal Pet Sounds." -George Martin

SMILE is another tremendous Beach Boys album. Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blues is also worth a listen.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

The concert industry has flipped its financial model. In years past acts would do dozens of shows and get a percentage of the cut. Now they get a guaranteed fee regardless of tickets sold.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Some years back IUP had a great entertainment program going called "OnStage" that booked a lot of the great acts that you mentioned.

Now we have the KCAC management who just blows major azz! They are horrible at what they do. They should have good acts streaming through town but they are clueless in how to run a venue. Incompetent idiots should be fired.

Mike Love is a consummate professional entertainer. Everybody always has good things to say about his shows. Too bad two of the Wilson brothers have passed on and everybody else in the band is too busy bringing suit against one another to ever play together.

Man, what's all this crazy talk about the 50th anniversary release of the Beatles Sgt. Pepper album and folks runnin' around talkin' it up as the greatest album ever made? That record couldn't hold a candle to the Beach Boys landmark 1966 "Pet Sounds" album. Not even in the same universe!

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I saw the Beach Boys on their last visit to IUP back around 1999 or 2000 in Fisher Auditorium. It's a good concert.

That was a really good era for shows on campus back then. I saw James Brown, The Righteous Brothers, George Carlin, Fastball, etc. Chris Rock and Adam Sandler both did shows at IUP right before they became mega stars. I even saw a washed-up-turned-rocker (of sorts) Vanilla Ice play in the HUB because he didn't sell enough tickets to stay in Fisher.

IUP was actually one of Bobby Hatfield's (Righteous Brothers) last shows before he died from a drug overdose.

I heard the WWE will be back (perhaps yearly) to the KCAC due to the overwhelming success this past winter.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Yikes. Didn't former star QB Tony Aliucci get in some pretty serious trouble for embezzling or something like that? How to screw people out of money 101 must have been a popular course at IUP in the early to mid 90s.
    Tony served several years in federal prison if I have my facts straight. What he did was wrong, but he did pay his debt to society. If he is contrite and has made himself a better man then I would argue that he should be inducted into IUP's Athletic Hall of Fame by virtue of his stellar football career at IUP. Maybe I am in the minority here.

What Taylor did was scumbag all the way. He needs to serve a prison term for his actions. He's not much better than IUP Hall of Famer and current County Commissioner Rodney Ruddock who did this area unspeakable harm with his cowardly lack of leadership during the highly controversial county tax reassessment. Ruddock is the biggest douchebag of them all!

Oh, yeah, on a more positive note-- I hear the Beach Boys are coming to the KCAC on November 16. Tickets go on sale tomorrow if anyone's interested. Only Mike Love and Bruce Johnston will appear from the "original" set. It is a Steelers game night as they are playing the Titans on Thursday night football.

-

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Not a good story for a former player and IUP Hall of Fame member:

http://1160wccs.com/former-iup-playe...camming-woman/
    Yikes. Didn't former star QB Tony Aliucci get in some pretty serious trouble for embezzling or something like that? How to screw people out of money 101 must have been a popular course at IUP in the early to mid 90s.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Not a good story for a former player and IUP Hall of Fame member:

http://1160wccs.com/former-iup-playe...camming-woman/

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X