Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Good point. These campuses are like ghost towns.

Has anybody seen much mask enforcement at games? IUP is doing the public service announcements about wearing them but maybe 20% of the crowd is actually complying. Other than the announcements they aren't actually enforcing anything. I guess they can say they tried. CYA.
    I've made it to 2-3 Hilltopper games so far this season, and what you describe is identical to what's happening in the ASRC. The announcement gets made. Roughly 15-20% comply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I've made it to 2-3 Hilltopper games so far this season, and what you describe is identical to what's happening in the ASRC. The announcement gets made. Roughly 15-20% comply.
      There is a good chance this would be over ifpeople would comply but the American way is... selfishness! It's a shame!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

There is a good chance this would be over ifpeople would comply but the American way is... selfishness! It's a shame!
        Polotics both ways...Remember, we have a President and VP who said during the election that they wouldn't get any shot that Trump had a hand in. Then after they won (and got the shot), they tried to force people to get the shot under threat of losing their jobs. Americans generally don't like being told what to do...most can be convinced if you make a compelling logical case...but when the gov basically says "because I told you to," people are going to balk.

Here's a novel concept...If we had take just one of the trillion dollars we spent on all things "covid related," we could have offered each American $3000+ to get the shots. Seems like it would have been better to offer the carrot ("free" $) BEFORE the stick (get the shot or you're fired)!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Good point. These campuses are like ghost towns.

Has anybody seen much mask enforcement at games? IUP is doing the public service announcements about wearing them but maybe 20% of the crowd is actually complying. Other than the announcements they aren't actually enforcing anything. I guess they can say they tried. CYA.
          I'd say most have been wearing them at Ship games, but we'll see how that goes after the New Year. Kills me how some folks can't be bothered to take minimal precautions to protect others. E pluribus unum certainly doesn't apply to the U.S. these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I'd say most have been wearing them at Ship games, but we'll see how that goes after the New Year. Kills me how some folks can't be bothered to take minimal precautions to protect others. E pluribus unum certainly doesn't apply to the U.S. these days.
            We all used to identify as Americans...now it seem like every group is some sort of Hyphenated-American.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

We all used to identify as Americans...now it seem like every group is some sort of Hyphenated-American.
              I think that's hindsight through rose colored glasses. We've always been divided from the start. We just didn't have politicians and media heads constantly telling us that the other side is evil.

Comment

Well, there's very few people who could be considered "hyphenated-Americans" in my county, and we have one of the lowest vaccination rates in the state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think that's hindsight through rose colored glasses. We've always been divided from the start. We just didn't have politicians and media heads constantly telling us that the other side is evil.
                  Certainly not rose-colored glasses. America used to be a country were most citizens, new and old, strove to be Americans (full stop with no hyphens). For new immigrants, it wasn't an over night process...hence the term often applied to the United States, Melting Pot and the national motto Out of many, one. Was it a perfect process, nope and small pockets resisted. But for the vast majority of US citizens, they were Americans and wanted to be thought of as Americans.

Comment

Polotics both ways...Remember, we have a President and VP who said during the election that they wouldn't get any shot that Trump had a hand in. Then after they won (and got the shot), they tried to force people to get the shot under threat of losing their jobs. Americans generally don't like being told what to do...most can be convinced if you make a compelling logical case...but when the gov basically says "because I told you to," people are going to balk.

Here's a novel concept...If we had take just one of the trillion dollars we spent on all things "covid related," we could have offered each American $3000+ to get the shots. Seems like it would have been better to offer the carrot ("free" $) BEFORE the stick (get the shot or you're fired)!!
                    You're cherry-picking your facts...Biden and Harris distrusted Trump with COVID-19 vaccines, not the vaccines themselves.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...accines-not-v/

Comment

Certainly not rose-colored glasses. America used to be a country were most citizens, new and old, strove to be Americans (full stop with no hyphens). For new immigrants, it wasn't an over night process...hence the term often applied to the United States, Melting Pot and the national motto Out of many, one. Was it a perfect process, nope and small pockets resisted. But for the vast majority of US citizens, they were Americans and wanted to be thought of as Americans.
                      I repeat. That's a largely white, protestant influenced perspective. We've excluded people from Day Zero in this country. Immigrants saw themselves as Americans but didn't assimilate the way we tell ourselves they did. My ancestors came to Pittsburgh because there was a German-speaking community: German-speaking neighborhoods, German-speaking churches, German daily newspapers, etc. Those lasted well into the 20th century. What changed was that kids learned English in school and eventually English became the primary language at home. People Anglicized their names to fit in. Assimilation and the "melting pot" isn't a good thing. That's a fallacy. It sounds good but people lose their identity.

Hell, we had a US president who didn't speak English at home and his name wasn't Obama. There are about 350k Amish in the United States and about half don't speak English at home.

Comment

• Can we get back to basketball, gentlemen? In general, I come to this site as a respite from all the other stuff going on in our world. If the biggest thing we have to worry about is Brent Pegram's health or Jake Biss's shooting percentage, then life is good . . . for at least the little while I'm reading this site.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                          Can we get back to basketball, gentlemen? In general, I come to this site as a respite from all the other stuff going on in our world. If the biggest thing we have to worry about is Brent Pegram's health or Jake Biss's shooting percentage, then life is good . . . for at least the little while I'm reading this site.
                          Well, unfortunately this is very much a part of basketball now. We lost a season last year, and I'd hate to see this one disrupted without people taking at least a minimum of precaution to prevent that. I don't want these young men and women to lose another opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I repeat. That's a largely white, protestant influenced perspective. We've excluded people from Day Zero in this country. Immigrants saw themselves as Americans but didn't assimilate the way we tell ourselves they did. My ancestors came to Pittsburgh because there was a German-speaking community: German-speaking neighborhoods, German-speaking churches, German daily newspapers, etc. Those lasted well into the 20th century. What changed was that kids learned English in school and eventually English became the primary language at home. People Anglicized their names to fit in. Assimilation and the "melting pot" isn't a good thing. That's a fallacy. It sounds good but people lose their identity.

Hell, we had a US president who didn't speak English at home and his name wasn't Obama. There are about 350k Amish in the United States and about half don't speak English at home.
                            And things are better now? Better to be divided along ethnic, racial, sexual and political lines.

Comment

And things are better now? Better to be divided along ethnic, racial, sexual and political lines.
                              When have they not been?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, unfortunately this is very much a part of basketball now. We lost a season last year, and I'd hate to see this one disrupted without people taking at least a minimum of precaution to prevent that. I don't want these young men and women to lose another opportunity.
                                I second this!! Got boostered Friday! Merry Christmas D2 Nation!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X