• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

No
    So Northwest doesn’t get players who could start in FCS?

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

I posted some numbers on one of these threads.. As far as scholarships available per capita, KS and PA are pretty much the same.

The top teams recruit nationally, at least to an extent. Everyone has some TX guys like Sexton, a Cali or FL player ir 2 if they're lucky, some portal guys from out of state, and some local depth. D2s are often recruiting against FCS schools for players. Sometimes they go d2, other times they go FCS, or walk on at an FBS.

I'm glad Sexton found a place he could get on the field right away. He's a pretty good qb with a great arm. Hopefully, running the same Offense 2 years in a row will let him reach his potential.

He got benched his last year at Pitt, and the poor guy had to learn 4 offenses in the 3 years he was at Pitt. He was brought in by the former staff, and just wasn't quite what the current staff was looking for.
    You need to take into account states in the Northeast skew older. The high school population isn’t plentiful. Pennsylvania has over 50 college foosball teams over all four levels. The most of any state. We do need to recruit in other parts of the country. It is what it is…l

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
    I thought he was done, lol it’s ten semesters to complete 4 seasons. 2020 was weird.
    2018 F, 2019 W (RS)
    2019 F, 2020 W
    2020 F X, 2021W X
    2021F, 2022 W
    2022 F, 2023 W
    2023 F, 2024 W

He better have two grad degrees after next year, or he’s just throwing money away Lol
    Covid

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Depth and the fact the player pool in the Northeast is very picked over than where you guys are located. .
    No

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Yeah. I think depth is a difference for them, too.
    In 2015, I attended the Shepherd walk through in Kansas City. I knew the result of the game before the game started. Depth was not the issue.

Leave a comment:

• GorillaTeacher
    replied
    I speculate, he may not have been the guy for financial reasons. When he was recruited he claimed he was offered a full ride, according to the spreadsheet shared on MIAA page we had very few guys in the .75-.99 range. Maybe coach wanted to spread it out a little more to develop depth.

Leave a comment:

• GorillaTeacher
    replied
    I thought he was done, lol it’s ten semesters to complete 4 seasons. 2020 was weird.
    2018 F, 2019 W (RS)
    2019 F, 2020 W
    2020 F X, 2021W X
    2021F, 2022 W
    2022 F, 2023 W
    2023 F, 2024 W

He better have two grad degrees after next year, or he’s just throwing money away Lol

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied

Depth and the fact the player pool in the Northeast is very picked over than where you guys are located. Your conferences get players who would go to FCS schools around here. We need more money and take the players MIAA teams get. Hell we have your former starting QB who will probably be the top QB in the Pee Sack next season now that Bagent is done.

I posted some numbers on one of these threads.. As far as scholarships available per capita, KS and PA are pretty much the same.

The top teams recruit nationally, at least to an extent. Everyone has some TX guys like Sexton, a Cali or FL player ir 2 if they're lucky, some portal guys from out of state, and some local depth. D2s are often recruiting against FCS schools for players. Sometimes they go d2, other times they go FCS, or walk on at an FBS.

I'm glad Sexton found a place he could get on the field right away. He's a pretty good qb with a great arm. Hopefully, running the same Offense 2 years in a row will let him reach his potential.

He got benched his last year at Pitt, and the poor guy had to learn 4 offenses in the 3 years he was at Pitt. He was brought in by the former staff, and just wasn't quite what the current staff was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Depth and the fact the player pool in the Northeast is very picked over than where you guys are located. Your conferences get players who would go to FCS schools around here. We need more money and take the players MIAA teams get. Hell we have your former starting QB who will probably be the top QB in the Pee Sack next season now that Bagent is done.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied

The biggest issue with Pee Sack teams is we don’t have the horses on defense to keep up with the stronger teams in other regions. IUP had a tough defense in 2017 but we had Max Redfield who came from Notre Damexand he was quite the difference maker. Generally though our defenses are a turnstile on a national playing field and while we tend to get talented players on offense once they are down a lot on the scoreboard they can’t play their game.

Shepherd had a good enough defense for Region 1 but not for a national game in the Final 4.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Meh, idk. Based on just the eye test, I think Shepherd was somewhere in between Washburn and UCO. Good enough to beat a really good team if everything went right, just not quite enough horses to do it regularly, though.

This is just 100 percent my opinion based on super limited exposure. I'm not married to the comparison. I just put them in that, "Pretty good in some areas, but huge weaknesses in others", category.
    The biggest issue with Pee Sack teams is we don’t have the horses on defense to keep up with the stronger teams in other regions. IUP had a tough defense in 2017 but we had Max Redfield who came from Notre Damexand he was quite the difference maker. Generally though our defenses are a turnstile on a national playing field and while we tend to get talented players on offense once they are down a lot on the scoreboard they can’t play their game.

Shepherd had a good enough defense for Region 1 but not for a national game in the Final 4.

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Newberry, Saginaw Valley, Sioux Falls, Minnesota-Duluth, Emporia State, West Georgia all would have been more competitive against Colorado Mines in the semifinals than Shepherd was. 100% not a single shred of doubt in my mind.
    I'll give you SVSU, Emporia St, and West Georgia. The others are iffy at best.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied
    Meh, idk. Based on just the eye test, I think Shepherd was somewhere in between Washburn and UCO. Good enough to beat a really good team if everything went right, just not quite enough horses to do it regularly, though.

This is just 100 percent my opinion based on super limited exposure. I'm not married to the comparison. I just put them in that, "Pretty good in some areas, but huge weaknesses in others", category.

Leave a comment:

• KleShreen
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Transitive property huh? What about Michigan Tech only losing by 8 to Ferris? That 4-7 juggernaut surely would whoop everyone in Region 1 too right?

Come on dude, that stuff means nothing.
    Kinda means something when one team keeps losing by 4+ TD's and the other is losing by single digits.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Saginaw Valley lost to the national champion by 5 points this year. Shepherd lost to the national runner-up by 31, who then lost to the national champion by 27. Shepherd also lost to last year's national champion by 48 when SVSU lost to that same national champion by 2. SVSU didn't make the playoffs in either year. So at best guesstimate, Shepherd would be a 4th-place team in the GLIAC the last two years.
    Nobody thinks Saggy Booby Valley is anything more than a warmer body than most of the other warmer bodies in the GLIAC that lay down and die for GV and Ferris Bueller every season.

I miss the 90’s when a GLIAC team on the IUP schedule was an automatic win. Good times.

:-)

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X