Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Both conferences seem similar, big gap between good programs and the perpetually bad ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I love when people from other conferences do this. Um... Edinboro, Millersville, Lock Haven, E. Stroudsburg, Seton Hill, Clarion and Gannon all say hello.
        I will have you know that we played 5 of the other 6 teams in this list and blew them all out! (Well, Hill was kinda close-ish. But the rest were blowouts). Of course, with that schedule no wonder we won 6 games. But I'd like to think we belong in the "painfully average" tier with Bloomsburg and Mercyhurst this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I will have you know that we played 5 of the other 6 teams in this list and blew them all out! (Well, Hill was kinda close-ish. But the rest were blowouts). Of course, with that schedule no wonder we won 6 games. But I'd like to think we belong in the "painfully average" tier with Bloomsburg and Mercyhurst this year.
          Noted :)

Comment

• Every conference has teams that do well and teams that do not do well. I'd be more interested in knowing if the teams that routinely do poorly in the NSIC are fully funded (as in, spending at or near the 36 scholarship cap) or not - does anyone know?

Comment

• I wrote this before, but in 2010 the SCSU administration threatened to pull the plug on football. That scared people but it stayed. They dropped a couple of sports. SCSU made the regional final in 2013. Now they have been operating with 18 scholarships, at least ten less than the other contenders. They haven't been Title IX compliant for years, or possibly ever. They merged all of their booster clubs into one to benefit one sport- hockey. Take a look into the sport- it is lucky to break even with all of the transportation costs. Then look at the black hole that is women's hockey and you see where the money goes.

The administration hasn't helped football at all. They dropped homecoming a number of years ago and were going to replace it with an arts festival. I read yesterday that they were down to 58 season ticket holders. They even threatened to drop baseball, a sport that they have had great success in, right before they dropped football.

Some people think adding men's soccer means they will go D1. That is a pipe dream- the money isn't there. Basketball used to fill up Hallenbeck Hall. Now you can hear echos in there.

I wish that I had the current numbers for each school on the number of football scholarships- I know that Winona has 36, Mankato has 30 and is planning on adding a couple more. I've heard rumors on some other schools but not a hard number.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

There was a big gap between the top tier and second tier of the league this year. There is a wild disparity in support for football at Division II schools. Some are at or near the 36-scholarship limit. Others, including many in the PSAC, are far below that. Given the monetary situation at many institutions, I think more schools will either be dropping football as they grow noncompetitive or drop to Division III. I'd actually like to see another division slightly above Division III, where you could award 15-20 scholarships. I think that would be more in the financial wheelhouse of a lot of schools and would be very competitive. I realize the likelihood of that happening is small.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

There was a big gap between the top tier and second tier of the league this year. There is a wild disparity in support for football at Division II schools. Some are at or near the 36-scholarship limit. Others, including many in the PSAC, are far below that. Given the monetary situation at many institutions, I think more schools will either be dropping football as they grow noncompetitive or drop to Division III. I'd actually like to see another division slightly above Division III, where you could award 15-20 scholarships. I think that would be more in the financial wheelhouse of a lot of schools and would be very competitive. I realize the likelihood of that happening is small.
                  I believe that exists and is called the NAIA.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                    I wrote this before, but in 2010 the SCSU administration threatened to pull the plug on football. That scared people but it stayed. They dropped a couple of sports. SCSU made the regional final in 2013. Now they have been operating with 18 scholarships, at least ten less than the other contenders. They haven't been Title IX compliant for years, or possibly ever. They merged all of their booster clubs into one to benefit one sport- hockey. Take a look into the sport- it is lucky to break even with all of the transportation costs. Then look at the black hole that is women's hockey and you see where the money goes.

The administration hasn't helped football at all. They dropped homecoming a number of years ago and were going to replace it with an arts festival. I read yesterday that they were down to 58 season ticket holders. They even threatened to drop baseball, a sport that they have had great success in, right before they dropped football.

Some people think adding men's soccer means they will go D1. That is a pipe dream- the money isn't there. Basketball used to fill up Hallenbeck Hall. Now you can hear echos in there.

I wish that I had the current numbers for each school on the number of football scholarships- I know that Winona has 36, Mankato has 30 and is planning on adding a couple more. I've heard rumors on some other schools but not a hard number.
                    Slippery Rock has around 20, and does not have a 6 million indoor practice facility

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

Slippery Rock has around 20, and does not have a 6 million indoor practice facility
                      We didn't either until last week! This has to help recruiting!

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Never said there were lots of better athletes - that was someone else. But - Rivers would be good in any DII conference, and the NSIC has a good share of teams that would be losing teams in the PSAC that Mankato could coast alot, and build up stats. I expect the game to be competitive. Mankato tries to use its run game to control clock, and keep the ball out of Rivers hands, While Rock will want to get ahead early, force mankato out of its comfort zone. From what I can tell Mankato has not be behind very often, and not more than 3 points. Otherwise, turnovers will kill either team.
                        I know it was someone else who said it, simply explaining my comment. Just about every conference in D2 is top heavy and has a handful of teams that struggle to win games.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post
                          I wrote this before, but in 2010 the SCSU administration threatened to pull the plug on football. That scared people but it stayed. They dropped a couple of sports. SCSU made the regional final in 2013. Now they have been operating with 18 scholarships, at least ten less than the other contenders. They haven't been Title IX compliant for years, or possibly ever. They merged all of their booster clubs into one to benefit one sport- hockey. Take a look into the sport- it is lucky to break even with all of the transportation costs. Then look at the black hole that is women's hockey and you see where the money goes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

I believe that exists and is called the NAIA.
                            Which is where the Pee Sack was prior to moving to D2 in 1980.

Comment

• Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

I know it was someone else who said it, simply explaining my comment. Just about every conference in D2 is top heavy and has a handful of teams that struggle to win games.
                              This is every conference in every collegiate sport. I don't understand how people don't grasp that. For every winner there is a loser. MSU's 11-0 record in conference means there has to be a collective 0-11.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

This is every conference in every collegiate sport. I don't understand how people don't grasp that. For every winner there is a loser. MSU's 11-0 record in conference means there has to be a collective 0-11.

i think the point he was trying to make was more to say the bottom teams of some leagues are much worse than the bottom teams of other leagues. Meaning the bottom PSAC football teams are real dumpster fire and have no chance to win where as the bottom teams of some other leagues can at least be competitive.

The PSAC East is extremely deep in basketball this year. By default teams will have a losing record. But, the last place team can still play with the first place team (at least for 30 minutes or so). In the West this year the bottom teams just have no shot.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X