Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by laker View Post

We didn't either until last week! This has to help recruiting!

Comment

• Why is this thread about IUP?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

i think the point he was trying to make was more to say the bottom teams of some leagues are much worse than the bottom teams of other leagues. Meaning the bottom PSAC football teams are real dumpster fire and have no chance to win where as the bottom teams of some other leagues can at least be competitive.

The PSAC East is extremely deep in basketball this year. By default teams will have a losing record. But, the last place team can still play with the first place team (at least for 30 minutes or so). In the West this year the bottom teams just have no shot.
        There was a discussion similar to the one you describe that came up comparing the MIAA to the GAC, which is difficult to do because they both fail to play non-con games.

My opinion, and I have no data or analysis to back this up, is that once a certain point threshold is reached it's not a worthwhile endeavor to compare teams. Once Team A can beat teams by more than 24 points (for instance), who cares about the relative strength between the also-rans?

How often does a true last place team really have a shot against the first place team - mainly in football?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

I believe that exists and is called the NAIA.
          Could be. I'm not that familiar with the current NAIA setup. I just know it probably will be some time, if ever, before most PSAC schools are anywhere close to 36 schollies in football. Given what most of our schools are operating with, I think some of them are remarkably competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Could be. I'm not that familiar with the current NAIA setup. I just know it probably will be some time, if ever, before most PSAC schools are anywhere close to 36 schollies in football. Given what most of our schools are operating with, I think some of them are remarkably competitive.
            We are much closer to having many drop football than get anywhere in the stratosphere of 36 scholarships.

Comment

• Mavs by 14+

Comment

We are much closer to having many drop football than get anywhere in the stratosphere of 36 scholarships.
                I certainly would not be surprised to see some pressure for Lock Haven to drop if they don't get competitive in a couple of years. Millersville puzzles me as they've been a very good program at times in the past, but really haven't been the same since Carpenter left years ago. They should have the potential to turn around, but haven't done it. If Coach Morgan, who was known as a good recruiter at Ship, can't get it done in the next couple of years you begin to wonder if it will ever happen. If we lost another team within the next couple of years, my first thought would be to tray and raid Frostburg, which has just gone Division II and had a pretty good season for their inaugural campaign. They are also close enough to the PSAC geographical footprint to be a viable choice.

Comment

i think the point he was trying to make was more to say the bottom teams of some leagues are much worse than the bottom teams of other leagues. Meaning the bottom PSAC football teams are real dumpster fire and have no chance to win where as the bottom teams of some other leagues can at least be competitive.

The PSAC East is extremely deep in basketball this year. By default teams will have a losing record. But, the last place team can still play with the first place team (at least for 30 minutes or so). In the West this year the bottom teams just have no shot.
                  ...but who is going to win the conference again? That would be us.

Comment

• Originally posted by rocktherock1 View Post
                    Why is this thread about IUP?
                    When isn't a thread about IUP?

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

There was a discussion similar to the one you describe that came up comparing the MIAA to the GAC, which is difficult to do because they both fail to play non-con games.

My opinion, and I have no data or analysis to back this up, is that once a certain point threshold is reached it's not a worthwhile endeavor to compare teams. Once Team A can beat teams by more than 24 points (for instance), who cares about the relative strength between the also-rans?

How often does a true last place team really have a shot against the first place team - mainly in football?
                      None.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brandon View Post

The question is how many teams in the conference do you beat by 24+, how many are your starters out by half - this has a big impact on how healthy your best players are by the end of the year. The other question is how competitive are the second tier teams in the conference. THe question is how many 6-5 teams are competitive, not the 0-11 teams who as you say, aren't ever competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

...but who is going to win the conference again? That would be us.
                          Such confidence for a school that's only won the basketball title once in the last six years.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Such confidence for a school that's only won the basketball title once in the last six years.
                            Winning the conference tournament in basketball is tricky and a crapshoot. You follow the sport and know as much. IUP has won the West 10 straight years. The conference tournament is typically won by whichever team is the hottest for one week. Same thing happens in D1. The way the PSAC also does the rotation for home sites between EAST/WEST also is a challenge. The team with the best record all season can have two road games in the conference tournament. Most leagues use neutral site. The better view of a program is overall record, division titles and NCAA tournament appearances/success. Using overall body of work, no PSAC team has had more success in men's basketball the past decade than Joe Lombardi -- the West titles, two Regional titles, a couple PSAC titles, two national title game appearances, numerous All-Americans, incredible overall record, etc. Obviously there have been years in the decade they weren't the best team, but overall, they have been the top program.

Comment

Yeah ... that happened in the past. Then the IUP Rule was introduced.
                              Get over it!! Or move to DI where you'll disappear...

Comment

• Go Mavs

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X