Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Onward to two super-conferences.
    True. Won't other Pac-12 schools want to follow, e.g. Cal Berkeley, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Arizona State?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

True. Won't other Pac-12 schools want to follow, e.g. Cal Berkeley, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Arizona State?
      Stanford & Washington won't go to an East Coast Conference. If anything they'll opt for the Big 12. Same for Oregon, Cal, ASU and Arizona.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Stanford & Washington won't go to an East Coast Conference. If anything they'll opt for the Big 12. Same for Oregon, Cal, ASU and Arizona.
        Maybe. But the B1G is now a coast-to-coast conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Maybe. But the B1G is now a coast-to-coast conference.
          UCLA had a hiccup due to its connection to Cal.

The BIG wanted nothing to do with Cal. It got worked out.

I'm sure most would jump at the chance if offered.

Comment

Big XII appears focused on ASU, Arizona, Colorado and Utah, though there are some in the XII who are pushing for Stanford and Cal, Berkeley to be in the potential expansion pool for the XII.

Oregon and Washington, though, seem to be better targets for the B1G from what I've been hearing; do you think the B1G is going to ignore the Nike Corp money flowing around Eugene?

I wouldn't be shocked if, down the road, the Big XII tries to make a move to become the third "super conference" and make a run at some ACC schools (Louisville, Pitt, FSU, Miami, Va Tech might be likely targets to give the current and future XII schools - namely WVU, Cincinnati and UCF - closer rivals).

And before y'all start getting uptight over FSU/Miami in the XII, think about this: If I'm in Tallahassee or Coral Gables and it comes down to SEC or XII, I'd much rather be the big fish in the small pond (XII) than get overshadowed by the powers that be in Gainesville, Athens, Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. I'm not saying that FSU/Miami to the XII will actually happen, but then again, I never thought we'd see USC or Cal, Los Angeles bail from the PAC-12 to join the B1G.
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Big XII appears focused on ASU, Arizona, Colorado and Utah, though there are some in the XII who are pushing for Stanford and Cal, Berkeley to be in the potential expansion pool for the XII.

Oregon and Washington, though, seem to be better targets for the B1G from what I've been hearing; do you think the B1G is going to ignore the Nike Corp money flowing around Eugene?

I wouldn't be shocked if, down the road, the Big XII tries to make a move to become the third "super conference" and make a run at some ACC schools (Louisville, Pitt, FSU, Miami, Va Tech might be likely targets to give the current and future XII schools - namely WVU, Cincinnati and UCF - closer rivals).

And before y'all start getting uptight over FSU/Miami in the XII, think about this: If I'm in Tallahassee or Coral Gables and it comes down to SEC or XII, I'd much rather be the big fish in the small pond (XII) than get overshadowed by the powers that be in Gainesville, Athens, Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge. I'm not saying that FSU/Miami to the XII will actually happen, but then again, I never thought we'd see USC or Cal, Los Angeles bail from the PAC-12 to join the B1G.
              I think the ACC loses Florida State, Miami, UNC & Clemson to the SEC. I'd like to see an restart of the Big East FB conference. Throw Syracuse, BC, Temple, Louisville, WVU, UConn, Pitt, USF, VT and mix in some G5 schools too get it to a 12 team FB conference.

Comment

I think the ACC loses Florida State, Miami, UNC & Clemson to the SEC. I'd like to see an restart of the Big East FB conference. Throw Syracuse, BC, Temple, Louisville, WVU, UConn, Pitt, USF, VT and mix in some G5 schools too get it to a 12 team FB conference.
                Probably not happening. I don't think the current Big East 3.0 schools would be too thrilled if the Big East 1.0/2.0 tried to start a football conference off the Big East name. Also, there's no way that Duke doesn't follow UNC Chapel Hill as part of a package. I'd suspect the ratings for UNC-Duke basketball twice a year would outdraw a Vanderbilt non-conference game on SEC Network, and neither Fox (B1G) nor The Four Letter Nitwits (SEC) would be that stupid to pass up at least two guaranteed "money games" in college basketball every season.

Comment

Follow the TV markets. That is going to drive a lot of whom else gets poached.

Miami will always be appealing. Perhaps that keeps Boston College in conversations.

Pitt isn't appealing at all because PSU already dominates their market. Apply that to Temple, too.

Comment

Miami will always be appealing. Perhaps that keeps Boston College in conversations.

Pitt isn't appealing at all because PSU already dominates their market. Apply that to Temple, too.
                    Boston may be an "appealing TV market" but I'd argue that the Major League Soccer club in Foxborough carries more attention in the Boston market than BC football, which hasn't really been a major national player since the Doug Flutie days. Hockey is the big sport at BC, and they seem quite happy being in Hockey East.

Miami definitely brings their "The U" swag and a major South Florida media market, but don't underestimate the draw FSU is in Orlando and Tampa, which are a pair of Top 20 markets in their own right.

As for Pitt and Temple, the former at least has an ACC football championship to their credit while the latter is barely treading water in the Group of Five's 'Merican conference. I don't think anybody is going to confuse Temple with, say, Virginia Tech.

Comment

I think if Pitt & WVU are back in the same conference it makes them more appealing.

This also puts another nail in the coffin of the Pitt/Penn State fantasy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Boston may be an "appealing TV market" but I'd argue that the Major League Soccer club in Foxborough carries more attention in the Boston market than BC football, which hasn't really been a major national player since the Doug Flutie days. Hockey is the big sport at BC, and they seem quite happy being in Hockey East.

Miami definitely brings their "The U" swag and a major South Florida media market, but don't underestimate the draw FSU is in Orlando and Tampa, which are a pair of Top 20 markets in their own right.

As for Pitt and Temple, the former at least has an ACC football championship to their credit while the latter is barely treading water in the Group of Five's 'Merican conference. I don't think anybody is going to confuse Temple with, say, Virginia Tech.
                        Temple administration totally blew their chance to become what Cincinnati is today. They had every chance to hire Fran Brown after Rhule left for Baylor and they declined and instead hired Collins. Even after Collins left for GT and Diaz after 3 days on the job left for Miami they had a chance to bring Brown in as HC and once again passed him over for the idiot from NIU who left the program as a bottom 20 FBS program. I actually like the Drayton hire he seems to have re-energized the students, players, staff and alumni. Recruiting wise he has done fairly well so far for his 23 class and if they can get 5-7 wins this year it'll help greatly with securing a good 24 class.

Comment

Temple administration totally blew their chance to become what Cincinnati is today. They had every chance to hire Fran Brown after Rhule left for Baylor and they declined and instead hired Collins. Even after Collins left for GT and Diaz after 3 days on the job left for Miami they had a chance to bring Brown in as HC and once again passed him over for the idiot from NIU who left the program as a bottom 20 FBS program. I actually like the Drayton hire he seems to have re-energized the students, players, staff and alumni. Recruiting wise he has done fairly well so far for his 23 class and if they can get 5-7 wins this year it'll help greatly with securing a good 24 class.
                          I agree to a degree. Granted, I've never lived in Philly metro so there may be some ignorance here. You said the big difference from my perspective: Cincinnati nailed the last handful of hires. Even hiring Tommy Tuberville was a recruiting & fundraising success in spite of his record. They then made up for it by hiring another coordinator from Ohio State. Maybe Temple could go get Yurcich in a few years?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree to a degree. Granted, I've never lived in Philly metro so there may be some ignorance here. You said the big difference from my perspective: Cincinnati nailed the last handful of hires. Even hiring Tommy Tuberville was a recruiting & fundraising success in spite of his record. They then made up for it by hiring another coordinator from Ohio State. Maybe Temple could go get Yurcich in a few years?
                            Temple athletics is in purgatory. Foosball will never be an elite D1 program. Basketball is no longer a nationally ranked program and has fallen way behind Villanova.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Temple athletics is in purgatory. Foosball will never be an elite D1 program. Basketball is no longer a nationally ranked program and has fallen way behind Villanova.
                              I think many could have said the same for Cincinnati 15-20 years ago. I'm not saying Temple can supplant Penn State if they do X, Y, Z - but if they can string together some home run hires that result in on & off field success, they can significantly elevate themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I'm old enough to remember when it was Temple, then St Joe's running Big Five hoops and Villanova was the afterthought (though, Penn would kinda sneak into the mix once in a while under Fran Dunphy; LaSalle, well, they're the Mansfield of the Big Five hoops scene). Now, I hadn't realized that St. Joe's fired Martelli until he ended up as the interim head coach at Michigan while Juwan Howard was suspended (which shows you how much St Joe's has fallen too).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X