Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

H is Holy. You can figure out the next two.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...-bring-justice

Comment

• Spoiler alert: If you haven't read the article, but want to, don't read the following message.

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
      So, tell me, what did Paterno do wrong? Did he do something illegal?
      Wrong? Probably. Although some will say no.
      Illegal? No.

He recruited, signed, and brought to campus a football player, Todd Hodne, who was a known criminal in his hometown (mostly burglaries and assaults). In State College, he broke into and robbed a record store. He went on to rape at least one woman, although a few others are certain he also sexually assaulted them, but either they were afraid to come forward or the SC or PSU police didn't take their claims seriously enough to warrant charges. After being kicked out of school, Hodne was prosecuted and convicted, but the judge inexplicably allowed him to go free until sentencing. He went back home to Long Island and raped a bunch more women and then killed a man. He died in prison a few years ago.

In the proceeding years, when Paterno was asked about bad apples, would mention the "knuckleheads" with bad grades and such, but it's like Hodne's name was stricken from the books. Oddly enough, nearly every PSU assistant who worked for Paterno back then claims to have little or no recollection of Hodne, including the one who now resides at SCI Somerset. You'd think coaches would remember a guy they had on campus who got dismissed for raping a woman and then went on to kill someone. But they apparently do not.

The victims say Paterno should have taken some responsibility for recruiting such a player to Penn State considering the ethical standards he claimed his program adhered to.
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
        Spoiler alert: If you haven't read the article, but want to, don't read the following message.

Wrong? Probably. Although some will say no.
        Illegal? No.

He recruited, signed, and brought to campus a football player, Todd Hodne, who was a known criminal in his hometown (mostly burglaries and assaults). In State College, he broke into and robbed a record store. He went on to rape at least one woman, although a few others are certain he also sexually assaulted them, but either they were afraid to come forward or the SC or PSU police didn't take their claims seriously enough to warrant charges. After being kicked out of school, Hodne was prosecuted and convicted, but the judge inexplicably allowed him to go free until sentencing. He went back home to Long Island and raped a bunch more women and then killed a man. He died in prison a few years ago.

In the proceeding years, when Paterno was asked about bad apples, would mention the "knuckleheads" with bad grades and such, but it's like Hodne's name was stricken from the books. Oddly enough, nearly every PSU assistant who worked for Paterno back then claims to have little or no recollection of Hodne, including the one who now resides at SCI Somerset. You'd think coaches would remember a guy they had on campus who got dismissed for raping a woman and then went on to kill someone. But they apparently do not.

The victims say Paterno should have taken some responsibility for recruiting such a player to Penn State considering the ethical standards he claimed his program adhered to.
        I see this as exploitative journalism. I don't know all the facts. Nobody does. It happened over 40 years ago. Joe Paterno, whose reputation is clearly the object of the article, has been dead for 11 years.

Moreover, stories of this nature can be unearthed in virtually all major college sports programs. While not as heinous as this guy, think of all the murky suspects our own Frank Cignetti brought to campus.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          I see this as exploitative journalism.
          The exploitative part is the way it's packaged and presented. ESPN wants you to think the story is related to the Sandusky stuff, which it is not.

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          Joe Paterno, whose reputation is clearly the object of the article, has been dead for 11 years.
          Since you didn't read the article, I'll tell you that the story isn't about Paterno or his reputation. It's about a system that failed and allowed a monster to run free for years. Paterno is a small part of it, but not as much as you would think based on ESPN's presentation of the story.

http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Looks like the CAA is adding a 3rd HBCU to the conference in Howard University. Optics wise it's great to have a diverse conference. Athletically Howard probably would have fit in better immediately in the Patriot League where they'd be competitive from Day 1 as opposed to the top heavy CAA where they'll have to heavily invest in both MBB/WBB/FB for scholarships and upgraded facilities.

Comment

• The CAA is putting a lot of stock in the additions improving their competitiveness now that they're in a better conference. Time will tell if it happens. They really need a better media deal if they want to capitalize on the additions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

The exploitative part is the way it's packaged and presented. ESPN wants you to think the story is related to the Sandusky stuff, which it is not.

Since you didn't read the article, I'll tell you that the story isn't about Paterno or his reputation. It's about a system that failed and allowed a monster to run free for years. Paterno is a small part of it, but not as much as you would think based on ESPN's presentation of the story.

Comment

• Did you read the article? If you did, I'm surprised you'd think they are trying to help save Paterno's reputation.

Comment

College sexual assault is relevant to my career so I read the full thing today. Basically, a Penn State football player from the late 70s robbed one store and raped several women. Paterno covered for the record store robbery but not for the rape. However, he definitely omitted it when selling his off the field team management. Was it dishonest? Yeah. But I expect almost any coach to omit it. Sounds like the guy was a serial predator prior to his arrival in State College so I can't hold them all accountable. Back then you didn't know things as well as you do now and rape wasn't taken seriously.

Comment

• Pitt junior-to-be Jordan Addison ... the reigning B-Koff winner ... entered the portal.

Rumor is a multi-million dollar deal at USC awaits.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Pitt junior-to-be Jordan Addison ... the reigning B-Koff winner ... entered the portal.

Rumor is a multi-million dollar deal at USC awaits.
                        I saw a tweet this morning that Texas has come up with a large sum to possibly sway him from USC to Austin lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

I saw a tweet this morning that Texas has come up with a large sum to possibly sway him from USC to Austin lol.

What a time to be a star football player. Highest bidder. And, in the world of major D1 ... there are some whales in the mix.

Comment

• To me the only upside of this is that some G5 or underappreciated P5 schools become bigtime NIL players based on location. Could Florida International capitalize on Miami money? UNLV?

Comment

To me the only upside of this is that some G5 or underappreciated P5 schools become bigtime NIL players based on location. Could Florida International capitalize on Miami money? UNLV?
                              Great theory and idea. A disgruntled kid at Miami who was a 4 star who isn't getting a fair shake there PT wise or marketing wise could potentially jump across town to FIU be the man on campus and pocket fat checks while starring there. UNLV seems to be able to take great advantage with their location, sharing the Raiders stadium and let's face it there are big pockets in Vegas. In this scenario even G5 Temple if they were to get local celebrities like Kevin Hart, Will Smith, Roots, Meek Mill to say hey lets keep local talent home with NIL deals. What 18-19 year old wouldn't want access to Meek Mill and concert tickets or Kevin Hart show tickets or hell even be an extra or have small roles in Will Smith movies lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by shipfbfan1 View Post

Great theory and idea. A disgruntled kid at Miami who was a 4 star who isn't getting a fair shake there PT wise or marketing wise could potentially jump across town to FIU be the man on campus and pocket fat checks while starring there. UNLV seems to be able to take great advantage with their location, sharing the Raiders stadium and let's face it there are big pockets in Vegas. In this scenario even G5 Temple if they were to get local celebrities like Kevin Hart, Will Smith, Roots, Meek Mill to say hey lets keep local talent home with NIL deals. What 18-19 year old wouldn't want access to Meek Mill and concert tickets or Kevin Hart show tickets or hell even be an extra or have small roles in Will Smith movies lol.

Totally off topic, but, ... Not sure Will Smith will have any more movies.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X