Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

That's a bit extreme. "The only goal is to win a championship" but for a fan.
    Is it really though? The only real reason why the bowl system is considered acceptable is because it has been around for decades and is "tradition". If D2 (or for that matter DI-AA/FCS, D3, or NAIA) decided to have bowl games for teams not in the playoffs and play those games hundreds or thousands of miles away from the schools and not on the campus of one of the schools, would that make sense to anyone? Would it even make sense in the NFL, which is even more popular than DI-A/FBS in most of the U.S.? The NFL had the Playoff Bowl for a few years in the early to mid-1960s but got rid of it and decided to expand the playoffs instead (starting in 1967) because neither the players/coaches nor fans were interested in postseason games that weren't tied to the playoffs/championship in some way.

Comment

• Anchors Aweigh

Comment

• Nice to see the 'Duz on Heisman night.

Comment

• Penn State hires Manny Diaz as DC. That seems like a good hire. How well does he recruit?

Comment

• Comment

• I'm a full FBS playoff advocate (would love to watch some heads explode when and if a G5 upsets P5), so this is always a fun hypothetical situation to read about.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202112100096

FWIW, we're up to 41 bowl games. A lot are owned by ESPN.

Comment

• East Tennessee State (FCS) is open. They brought back football and in less than a decade knocked off Vanderbilt.

Comment

I'm a full FBS playoff advocate (would love to watch some heads explode when and if a G5 upsets P5)
                  Out of curiosity, how many teams would you like to see in the playoff and how would you choose them?
                  http://www.indianagazette.com
                  www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Out of curiosity, how many teams would you like to see in the playoff and how would you choose them?
                    I think the NCAA should run a playoff with all FBS conference champions. That's 10 teams - I think the committee can choose the final 2 (includes independents).

I know this really pees in the corn flakes of those who long for the annual Camping World Bowl and those who are willing to engage in fisticuffs over their assertion that the 6th-best SEC team is better than the MAC champion.

Comment

I think the NCAA should run a playoff with all FBS conference champions. That's 10 teams - I think the committee can choose the final 2 (includes independents).

I know this really pees in the corn flakes of those who long for the annual Camping World Bowl and those who are willing to engage in fisticuffs over their assertion that the 6th-best SEC team is better than the MAC champion.
                      While you're eagerly awaiting Ohio's 27-24 upset of Michigan, you're going to have to wait through 20 straight years of Michigan 62, Ohio 14. The gap between P5 and Go5 schools is so wide that the upsets would be extremely rare. That leaves a series of first-round blowouts that only a few people would make appointment TV. After enough of that, people lose interest.

Comment

While you're eagerly awaiting Ohio's 27-24 upset of Michigan, you're going to have to wait through 20 straight years of Michigan 62, Ohio 14. The gap between P5 and Go5 schools is so wide that the upsets would be extremely rare. That leaves a series of first-round blowouts that only a few people would make appointment TV. After enough of that, people lose interest.
                        I get that - but without providing equal access, basketball wouldn't have Gonzaga right now. They'd be relegated to the NIT every year or something as irrelevant as those preseason tournaments in the Bahamas.

Comment

I get that - but without providing equal access, basketball wouldn't have Gonzaga right now. They'd be relegated to the NIT every year or something as irrelevant as those preseason tournaments in the Bahamas.
                          That's not the same. There are 68 teams in the basketball tournament. A 27-4 hoops team would make it into a 68-team tournament every time, regardless of what league they're in.

Comment

That's not the same. There are 68 teams in the basketball tournament. A 27-4 hoops team would make it into a 68-team tournament every time, regardless of what league they're in.
                            Yeah but how much time would media heads be beating down their SOS? There's a 13-0 football team that almost didn't make it.

Comment

Yep, I'd like to see a Division I playoff something along the lines of the FCS. Put in all the league champions and then select the top-ranked teams after that. Never will happen though due to the money factor in big-time college football. In the lower divisions, people don't tend to worry as much about the TV factors and blowouts in playoff games. There were plenty of routs in the Division II playoffs this year, including the Shepherd-Ferris semifinal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yep, I'd like to see a Division I playoff something along the lines of the FCS. Put in all the league champions and then select the top-ranked teams after that. Never will happen though due to the money factor in big-time college football. In the lower divisions, people don't tend to worry as much about the TV factors and blowouts in playoff games. There were plenty of routs in the Division II playoffs this year, including the Shepherd-Ferris semifinal.
                                Yes, and I'd argue both Shepherd and Ferris deserved to be there.

Since they own a couple dozen bowls, ESPN has a lot of money to potentially lose if a playoff flops. Its profitable to have the Daytona Beach Big Johnson T-Shirt Bowl on a Tuesday afternoon. So their talking heads will always be against it. You had CGD guys questioning Cincinnati up through the end of the season. You don't see anything like that in basketball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X