X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCLA and USC to the B1G?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, other side of the coin is an 18-year-old is making a massive, 7-figure income. Say he flops ... he still got $4 million dollars. He can get his degree and then work 25 years and not make that much.

But, yes, giving a kid $9.5m in Miami Beach of all places ... what a world. And, it's not like it's the schools' money. The mega boosters are going to become so powerful at these schools because you can't buy these kids now unless you have millions and million to offer them.

I loved when Jordan Addison (former Pitt star now at USC) entered the portal. His Mom said not to even call if the offer was under $3.5m. That may have been a bargain for one year.
      Oh, some will get the money, all right. And likely some of the o-linemen who help these kids shine will get a lot less. I'm fine with contributing a few hundred bucks to Ship each year and getting senior passes to the football and basketball games.

Comment

• Odd thing he went through Spring Ball at Pitt. Then bailed right after.

Word is major tampering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Oh, some will get the money, all right. And likely some of the o-linemen who help these kids shine will get a lot less. I'm fine with contributing a few hundred bucks to Ship each year and getting senior passes to the football and basketball games.
          Texas started that OL Club (has a nickname but I can't recall it).

Every OL they sign 4 stars and above gets an unofficial contract for $65,000 per season as long as they stay on scholarship. The 5-stars get much more.

Get paid while you can. Blow out a knee and these programs kick you to the curb.

Comment

• USC and UCLA possibly to the BIG.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              USC and UCLA possibly to the BIG.
              Onward to two super-conferences.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                USC and UCLA possibly to the BIG.
                Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Onward to two super-conferences.
                Imagine the travel budgets.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Routine flight from Rutgers to Los Angeles to play a volleyball game. LOL.

Academics come first. Wink.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Routine flight from Rutgers to Los Angeles to play a volleyball game. LOL.

Academics come first. Wink.
                    Right. What they'll have USC and UCLA do is play volleyball at Rutgers, Maryland, and Penn State over six days, throw in two days of travel and the "student-athletes" have been away from classes for eight days.

Comment

• I am really hoping one of two things happen:
                      1. The NCAA wises up and makes college football conferences a completely separate entity from all-sports conferences.
                      2. The P2 separates completely from the NCAA system
                      I do not care what happens to any of the schools in the P2, but I do care about what happens to everyone else. I think there is a decent future to be salvaged in college sports, but only if the lunacy of the P2 is able to be isolated from the rest of the NCAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                        I am really hoping one of two things happen:
                        1. The NCAA wises up and makes college football conferences a completely separate entity from all-sports conferences.
                        2. The P2 separates completely from the NCAA system
                        I do not care what happens to any of the schools in the P2, but I do care about what happens to everyone else. I think there is a decent future to be salvaged in college sports, but only if the lunacy of the P2 is able to be isolated from the rest of the NCAA.

With the vast difference in financial assets between, say, the Top 30 and everybody else ... getting like MLB. The Yankees and Pirates shouldn't be in the same league.

I wonder if "D1" eventually becomes the P2. The next tier becomes essentially 1-AA (the Pitt's, Boston Colleges, etc., of the world). The MAC types become D2. We become D3 and the current D3 becomes D4.

Comment

Travel budgets are meaningless when you have a TV contract worth over a Billion dollars which the BIG does. D1 athletics are now all about money. They are no longer student/athletes.

Comment

These schools can afford it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                              D1 athletics are now all about money. They are no longer student/athletes.
                              Been that way for a long time already. Pretty much once TV got involved.

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                              These schools can afford it.
                              I wasn't suggesting the schools couldn't afford it. I'm just saying imagine what the budget will be. All those cross-country soccer/volleyball/tennis/golf/track events. This move might save the airline industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Travel budgets are meaningless when you have a TV contract worth over a Billion dollars which the BIG does. D1 athletics are now all about money. They are no longer student/athletes.
                                Can't they be in class while they are on a plane now?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X