Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Tucker termination hearing was today. Dude is toast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      Mel Tucker termination hearing was today. Dude is toast.
      Narduzzi already being mentioned as perhaps a serious candidate.

Comment

Mel Tucker termination hearing was today. Dude is toast.
        Yikes! I wasn’t following the story so I just read a new article about it and wow. Talk about a total dumpster fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Yikes! I wasn’t following the story so I just read a new article about it and wow. Talk about a total dumpster fire.
          Michigan State has made some very bad choices in recent years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Michigan State has made some very bad choices in recent years.
            Yet they don’t get the same derision Penn State still gets despite the fact their sex scandals are just as bad in scope and on a larger scale. Larry Nassar had a lot of victims.

Could it be the victims at Meatchicken State are female so it causes less OUTRAGE?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yet they don’t get the same derision Penn State still gets despite the fact their sex scandals are just as bad in scope and on a larger scale. Larry Nassar had a lot of victims.

Could it be the victims at Meatchicken State are female so it causes less OUTRAGE?
              They certainly haven't suffered the consequences Penn State did. After getting pushback about the Penn State sanctions, the NCAA appears to have just thrown up its hands and said, "Do what you will" to member schools. North Carolina got no penalty for blatant academic cheating. Their defense in a nutshell was that other students cheated as well as the athletes, so why should the athletes be penalized?

Sexual crimes against children are always going to be considered more heinous than those against adults, but it should be pointed out that some of Nassar's victims were young teenage girls who were barely more than children. I don't know how Michigan State got away with that without some sort of penalty to their sports program.

Comment

It was because of the presence of Joe Paterno. Paterno fought against the monied establishment of NCAA sports his entire, long career which created resentment on a national level. So, when there was the opening to bring PSU (synonymous with Joe Paterno in many people's eyes) down, the momentum built to the max and there weren't enough people who questioned it.

Comment

They certainly haven't suffered the consequences Penn State did. After getting pushback about the Penn State sanctions, the NCAA appears to have just thrown up its hands and said, "Do what you will" to member schools. North Carolina got no penalty for blatant academic cheating. Their defense in a nutshell was that other students cheated as well as the athletes, so why should the athletes be penalized?

Sexual crimes against children are always going to be considered more heinous than those against adults, but it should be pointed out that some of Nassar's victims were young teenage girls who were barely more than children. I don't know how Michigan State got away with that without some sort of penalty to their sports program.
                  The NCAA is run by idiots.

It’s the same corrupt organization that allows Flori-duh State to remain the Seminole’s and perform their War Chant but IUP couldn’t be the Indians despite the fact you can’t spell Indiana without spelling Indian and we can’t have our true fight song in Cherokee.

Penn State did deserve some sort of penalty as an institution but I don’t think cutting scholarships to kids who had no part of the crime was the right course of action. Firing Joepa and taking down that ridiculous statue was appropriate. Firing everyone who covered it up was correct and then letting the legal system take care of the rest. Penn State paying restitution to the victims was also the right action.

Did Meatchicken State pay a dime to anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It was because of the presence of Joe Paterno. Paterno fought against the monied establishment of NCAA sports his entire, long career which created resentment on a national level. So, when there was the opening to bring PSU (synonymous with Joe Paterno in many people's eyes) down, the momentum built to the max and there weren't enough people who questioned it.
                    Unfortunately, D1 college athletics is more about money than ever and increasingly unconnected to the supposed academic mission of a university. And Penn State is right up among them as my brother the Penn State alum will be glad to tell you. D2 has its own problems, but to me is more representative of what college athletic programs should be.

Comment

The NCAA is run by idiots.

It’s the same corrupt organization that allows Flori-duh State to remain the Seminole’s and perform their War Chant but IUP couldn’t be the Indians despite the fact you can’t spell Indiana without spelling Indian and we can’t have our true fight song in Cherokee.

Penn State did deserve some sort of penalty as an institution but I don’t think cutting scholarships to kids who had no part of the crime was the right course of action. Firing Joepa and taking down that ridiculous statue was appropriate. Firing everyone who covered it up was correct and then letting the legal system take care of the rest. Penn State paying restitution to the victims was also the right action.

Did Meatchicken State pay a dime to anyone?
                      The association Florida State and the Seminole tribe have in Florida is quite unique and very strong. The seminole tribe openly endorses their use of it. 99% of the rest of the schools (IUP) had no such relationship with their school nickname. Very different situations.

But yes the NCAA is a bunch of morons, and most anything they do doesn't make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

The association Florida State and the Seminole tribe have in Florida is quite unique and very strong. The seminole tribe openly endorses their use of it. 99% of the rest of the schools (IUP) had no such relationship with their school nickname. Very different situations.

But yes the NCAA is a bunch of morons, and most anything they do doesn't make sense.
                        Yep. Other schools granted exceptions because of approval from associated tribes: Catawba, Central Michigan, and Utah. There are a dozen other schools allowed, such as East Stroudsburg, because they dropped imagery because they could change the depiction. Most like ESU use Warriors.

North Dakota has a strong relationship with one of two major Sioux tribes but the other mounted enough pressure to force a change. Miami University in Ohio has a strong relationship with the Miami tribe in Oklahoma and that tribe successfully convinced the school to drop its old Redskins nickname. Usually the imagery was the problem - especially stereotyped or generic caricatures that aren't specific to who or where. The worst was clearly the Redmen (UMass), Redskins (Miami U), and Savages (Eastern Washington). FWIW, I live adjacent to a private country club whose logo is the head of the specific historical native chief they're named for - but the logo is actually a stereotypical Sioux chief, not a Seneca chief.

Comment

Yep. Other schools granted exceptions because of approval from associated tribes: Catawba, Central Michigan, and Utah. There are a dozen other schools allowed, such as East Stroudsburg, because they dropped imagery because they could change the depiction. Most like ESU use Warriors.

North Dakota has a strong relationship with one of two major Sioux tribes but the other mounted enough pressure to force a change. Miami University in Ohio has a strong relationship with the Miami tribe in Oklahoma and that tribe successfully convinced the school to drop its old Redskins nickname. Usually the imagery was the problem - especially stereotyped or generic caricatures that aren't specific to who or where. The worst was clearly the Redmen (UMass), Redskins (Miami U), and Savages (Eastern Washington). FWIW, I live adjacent to a private country club whose logo is the head of the specific historical native chief they're named for - but the logo is actually a stereotypical Sioux chief, not a Seneca chief.
                          "Redskins" is definitely a derogatory nickname. The tribes themselves seem to be ambivalent about "Indians" — some are OK with it, some are not. Ship has kept Raiders by going to a ship logo that doesn't feature Indian imagery — a step away from my time there when the band would play "Hail to the Redskins" at football games. I like "The Horse" much better anyway.

Probably one of the worst nicknames I've heard of used to be at Pekin High School in Illinois, whose teams were known as the "*****s." I think they kept that into the '70s.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

He is a Syracuse grad. Most Syracuse people have a manufactured rivalry or disdain towards Pitt (which I never understand). He takes potshots at Pitt every chance he gets. If you pay close attention to how he calls games, you'll start to notice it. And once you do, you'll never unhear it in his work. He found a way to work in a jab at Pitt going into halftime of the Alabama-Notre Dame CFP game 2 years ago. I laughed my ass off immediately.
                            Probably because Pitt and Syracuse have long been rivals from the Big East days and now in the ACC.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Probably one of the worst nicknames I've heard of used to be at Pekin High School in Illinois, whose teams were known as the "*****s." I think they kept that into the '70s.
                              Pekin (Ill.) High School changed their name from the offensive Chinese stereotype to "Dragons" in 1980. The back-story behind the name is rather troubling considering the city's historically racist past reportedly involving the KKK.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Madden is even going after Jurkovec -- and he typically only ever talks about Pitt on very, very slow days (or to hammer Narduzzi about something). Like Big Sexy or not, he has an enormous following in the Yinzerlands. Get the MFers after you and it's a long season. He's always hated Narduzzi (not sure the reason).
                                He doesn't necessarily need a reason to go after someone (see: Watt, TJ).

When Jurkovec called the Pitt fans booing the team 'pathietic' last week paired with getting hammered in Morgantown ... he's done. So are they if Narduzzi is going to keep this circus going.

These aren't good losses. WVU was picked last in the Big 12 and played most of the game with its backup QB. Duquesne scored more on WVU than Pitt did. Cincinnati just lost to a MAC school.

If I was betting, NC is going to hammer Pitt on Saturday. I'd guess plenty of good seats will be available.
                                That wouldn't probably even merit a betting line because it would be pretty obvious.

I hope they turn things around. The backup QB (PSU transfer) may be just the spark they need. The Steelers will likely stink all year ... going to be a rough year in the 412.
                                It's not looking too good for the Steelers without Cam Heyward. I don't think they'll be as bad as the Bungles, who look like the Bungles of old, nor will they be as bad as the Brownies.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X