Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Colorado had the biggest TV draw in all of college football last week and was also the 4th best ratings broadcast ever for Fox Sports (college football). Not bad for a noon game.
    Vegas not really jumping on the Fighting Prime’s bandwagon yet. Only a 3 point home favorite against Nebraska.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think your description is right - my opinion is that eventually the big donors will feel they don't have a return on their investment and find other ways to throw money at the programs. There's always going to be a new team facility "needed." Maybe this is just for the mega NIL stuff. Guaranteed money is stupid - especially for minimal return on that money. A player being able to make a paid celebrity appearance is exactly what NIL should be about. Several Penn State football players were gifted Tesla Model 3's that are wrapped with some sort of advertising for the donor's business. This is also why Pitt and Penn State struggled to get up and running with NIL programs - they lack the super rich booster zealots in search of Heismans and first round picks. They want winning and championships.
      Multiple layers to what you are saying here, but you're correct. And anybody who is actually taking a very, very close look at the NIL investments can already see that there are multiple schools with super rich boosters who are already starting to pull back the reigns some. Many of these collectives believed they could exist as non-profit businesses by fundraising money, pumping their own dollars into their "business," and then passing out the cash in NIL deals to be used as a tax write off. Texas A&M's boosters found this out the hard way. A month ago they halted all NIL and fundraising activities from their collective (the name of it escapes me). They received notice that what they were doing was an SEC violation (and I'm not talking about the Southeastern Conference). I get that people are wealthy. I also get that in the south particularly, people want to win badly. But Texas A&M reportedly spent 30 million dollars to land their 2022 recruiting class. I don't care how wealthy people are, that isn't sustainable annually. And if there isn't a serious ROI, that money will stop flowing quickly.

There was a similar situation that happened with Miami's key kingpin booster. He was diverting business funds into NIL opportunities. He pulled back the reigns significantly, citing exactly what you said. He wasn't seeing a return on his investment. It also didn't help that he was further along than the Texas A&M folks. Because he's actually under investigation by the SEC (for things not just related to NIL, but his distribution of funds to NIL which were made to look like a "donation" for tax purposes are part of that investigation).

I support the proposition of NIL. If Bowser Chevrolet in West Mifflin wants give Kenny Pickett a real nice truck to drive for his senior year and pay him to be their spokesperson, I support that. That was always what this was supposed to be. Give student athletes the opportunity to build their brand and make some money via the endorsement route, commercials, appearances, etc. USC buying Jordan Addison off the Pitt roster for 2 million dollars wasn't the intent of this. And yes, I am a Pitt fan; I'm using the Addison example because that is the singular moment where this all went off the rails with NIL.

We're now in a world where we are handing out millions of dollars to 17 year olds who are in high school simply so that they commit to a program. Quinn Ewers supposedly got over a million to commit to Ohio State (and he transferred when he didn't win the job as a true freshman!!!!). That was not what NIL was ever supposed to be. The other angle to this is that many of these boosters are seriously taking advantage of young people who are not well educated on business and do not have any representation, or good representation for that matter. They are being sold a bag of goods that really don't exist, or are never really given out to them. Listen to some of these guys who have left college in the last 2 years. Former Penn State TE Adam Brennaman has a really good podcast (highly recommend for D1 football fans - it's excellent). He has interviewed a number of ex-players from the NIL era. There's others too that are pretty good for the subject as well. I forget who hosted the podcast, but Jordan Addison was a guest on it, and he said that he was ready to leave USC shortly after arriving. He never got half of what he was promised (regarding perks/amenities) and he didn't get close to the amount of cash that was "guaranteed." He's not the only player who has a story like that.
      Last edited by IUP24; 09-08-2023, 09:49 AM.

Comment

I think your description is right - my opinion is that eventually the big donors will feel they don't have a return on their investment and find other ways to throw money at the programs. There's always going to be a new team facility "needed." Maybe this is just for the mega NIL stuff. Guaranteed money is stupid - especially for minimal return on that money. A player being able to make a paid celebrity appearance is exactly what NIL should be about. Several Penn State football players were gifted Tesla Model 3's that are wrapped with some sort of advertising for the donor's business. This is also why Pitt and Penn State struggled to get up and running with NIL programs - they lack the super rich booster zealots in search of Heismans and first round picks. They want winning and championships.
        I can't speak to Penn State, but I can tell you that Pitt has one of the better "collectives" in the country in terms of how they are operating and what they are doing. And there are plenty of people in the industry who also support that notion. Alliance 412, which is headed up by Chris Bickell, is doing some very unique things that nobody else in the country is really doing. I would encourage you to look into it some. It's not just "buying" players or recruits. They are actually providing opportunities for student athletes, and the guys who should be earning more dollars from their NIL, most certainly are.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I can't speak to Penn State, but I can tell you that Pitt has one of the better "collectives" in the country in terms of how they are operating and what they are doing. And there are plenty of people in the industry who also support that notion. Alliance 412, which is headed up by Chris Bickell, is doing some very unique things that nobody else in the country is really doing. I would encourage you to look into it some. It's not just "buying" players or recruits. They are actually providing opportunities for student athletes, and the guys who should be earning more dollars from their NIL, most certainly are.
          Yes, Pitt was very smart to construct their program the way they did. Not sure if that was Lyke, the previous chancellor, or Bickell. But I do categorize Bickell as a gonzo booster. Dude has money to throw around. He's not a zealot but he'll pay for his ideas to happen. I think this is because Pitt is still one the rare P5 schools that operates like a university. For all my contempt for Pitt presenting itself as public or state then hiding behind their private legal standing when asked for transparency - right now they do academics and athletics right. Of course this can all change if Lyke leaves or the new chancellor allows bad influencers to shadow operate athletics.

Comment

Yes, Pitt was very smart to construct their program the way they did. Not sure if that was Lyke, the previous chancellor, or Bickell. But I do categorize Bickell as a gonzo booster. Dude has money to throw around. He's not a zealot but he'll pay for his ideas to happen. I think this is because Pitt is still one the rare P5 schools that operates like a university. For all my contempt for Pitt presenting itself as public or state then hiding behind their private legal standing when asked for transparency - right now they do academics and athletics right. Of course this can all change if Lyke leaves or the new chancellor allows bad influencers to shadow operate athletics.
            Eventually those people (whether anybody wants to believe this or not) will stop blindly shelling out millions if they don't see tangible results (I know that because it's only taken two years for it to start happening already). So if that ocean of free money starts drying up (which it will - you can't convince me that Texas A&M's boosters will spend 30 million on teenagers in high school every year), student athletes will have to start relying on businesses to generate appearances, endorsements, and other opportunities to fund their NIL goals, which is what the intent of NIL was always supposed to be.

Pitt has navigated the NIL world extremely well given their positioning in college football. They have strong external support being put to use for NIL opportunities (legally and with transparency). They have support and involvement from the administration up to the point where they are allowed to be involved. They are balancing NIL without ignoring facility upgrades (which now seems an arms race that has ended - for now).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Vegas not really jumping on the Fighting Prime’s bandwagon yet. Only a 3 point home favorite against Nebraska.
              Nebraska opened as 7 pt favorites that was before the TCU game though I think.

Fanduel already has the Colorado at Oregon game listed as Oregon -19.5 and USC -17.5 at Colorado.

Comment

Colorado had the biggest TV draw in all of college football last week and was also the 4th best ratings broadcast ever for Fox Sports (college football). Not bad for a noon game.
                This week might be bigger. The classic rivalry with Nebraska. Too bad Nebraska didnt hold on vs Minnesota last week. Wouldve been a nice set up with the two new coaches. Its the noon game Ill be watching.

Comment

Eventually those people (whether anybody wants to believe this or not) will stop blindly shelling out millions if they don't see tangible results (I know that because it's only taken two years for it to start happening already). So if that ocean of free money starts drying up (which it will - you can't convince me that Texas A&M's boosters will spend 30 million on teenagers in high school every year), student athletes will have to start relying on businesses to generate appearances, endorsements, and other opportunities to fund their NIL goals, which is what the intent of NIL was always supposed to be.

Pitt has navigated the NIL world extremely well given their positioning in college football. They have strong external support being put to use for NIL opportunities (legally and with transparency). They have support and involvement from the administration up to the point where they are allowed to be involved. They are balancing NIL without ignoring facility upgrades (which now seems an arms race that has ended - for now).
                  I’ve learned a lot from this conversation. I’ve been mostly pretending NIL doesn’t exist because I hate it in its current form. As a general thought though, I can’t imagine a more risky investment than a college athlete, especially incoming freshmen. While there are some that turn out to be as projected, there are many, many more that are busts. We hear about the occasional bust in the NFL, but the percentage of kids that never pan out in college is significant higher. We just don’t hear about it. Then there’s the injury factor. One wrong move and your NIL investment could be out for the season.

Even if you do put money on a kid or group of kids that reach their potential, winning a title or titles is still never guaranteed. The skill margin among rosters in the Power 5 is razor thin and a bad bounce, injury, or kid getting dumped by his girlfriend could send your investment tumbling into the red.

Comment

Actually second biggest draw behind LSU/Florida State, but Colorado certainly drew a lot of attention for their win over TCU.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

• Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Actually second biggest draw behind LSU/Florida State, but Colorado certainly drew a lot of attention for their win over TCU.
                      I don't think I've ever seen a coach or team hyped more after winning the opening game of a 12-game season. We really have no idea how good either Colorado or TCU are at this point. And I'm not sure a Colorado win over Nebraska, which is picked to win nothing in the B1G, will tell us that much more. Don't know if Sanders will be able to outscore everyone the rest of the season, but he certainly will outtalk them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I don't think I've ever seen a coach or team hyped more after winning the opening game of a 12-game season. We really have no idea how good either Colorado or TCU are at this point. And I'm not sure a Colorado win over Nebraska, which is picked to win nothing in the B1G, will tell us that much more. Don't know if Sanders will be able to outscore everyone the rest of the season, but he certainly will outtalk them.
                        This year doesn't really matter that much. First year. This was about building the hype and brand. So far, A+.

He will CRUSH the portal next year.

Comment

This year doesn't really matter that much. First year. This was about building the hype and brand. So far, A+.

Well, I think the jury is out on whether that is the way to build a team over time. It worked well for the Michigan State guy in year 1, not so much so the second, although I will agree Sanders has more charisma. If he goes 6-6 or something like that this season, some of the air might go out of the balloon. Guys that came to you via the portal might leave just as quickly. We'll see.

Comment

I'm obviously not the right age to be enamored by this guy. I just don't understand the "why" to the way people talk and drool about him. I'm too young to really even remember even watching him play.

I have nothing against Sanders or Colorado. But I'd love to see it all blow up.

Comment

I'm obviously not the right age to be enamored by this guy. I just don't understand the "why" to the way people talk and drool about him. I'm too young to really even remember even watching him play.

I have nothing against Sanders or Colorado. But I'd love to see it all blow up.
                              My interest is he's different. He almost is playing a WWE angle on the institution of college football. It's entertainment to me (and I grew up in his prime). He's just different than the typical cookie-cutter, robot-answers, white coach.

He has an 'it' factor. No denying.

Comment

My interest is he's different. He almost is playing a WWE angle on the institution of college football. It's entertainment to me (and I grew up in his prime). He's just different than the typical cookie-cutter, robot-answers, white coach.

He has an 'it' factor. No denying.
                                When Deion played, I never liked him. Can’t say I really liked him for a while after that and I’m still not sure what to think of him. That said, I always watched and right now is no different. He does have the “it” factor and that stadium in Boulder about crumbled when his team took the field. Fun stuff.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X