X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sounds like SR1 playoff logic.
    Apples and oranges.

Using a local example for many in Indiana County... I was in college when Indiana High School won the WPIAL basketball championship. I went to multiple games and enjoyed following their team/season. That was an incredible run. When people look back, they'll remember they won the WPIAL. Not that they lost to New Castle in the 1st or 2nd round of the PIAA playoffs.

Overall point is that people in Western PA tend identify more with the success of their community sports teams locally, not necessarily what happens when they get outside of the WPIAL. You can go on a run and win 4-5 games in the playoffs beating other local teams and rival communities. That tends to matter to people. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just the way it seems to always be with those affiliated with the WPIAL.
    Last edited by IUP24; 12-18-2023, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Aliquippa has the most WPIAL titles with 38. Surprisingly, its mostly impoverished and working class communities.
      • 38: Aliquippa
      • 37: Monessen
      • 30: Thomas Jefferson
      • 26: Clairton
      • 26: Jeannette
      • 26: Upper St. Clair
      How many of them were won before the collapse of steel that sent those towns down the drain?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Then why is everyone mad about St Joe’s? Ok North Allegheny are Kings of The Yinzerlands.

Everyone should be happy.
        The evolution of this conversation is interesting...

People are outspoken about St. Joe's because of national recruiting. They have players on their roster from places like Texas and Florida. I don't even necessarily care about places like Bishop McDevitt or Central Catholic. Do those schools impact communities in surrounding areas? Yeah, they sure do. But you are continuing over and over and over again to simply not recognize that St. Joe's is pulling kids from all over the country to play football. You can talk about transfers to other schools, or the recruiting at other private schools, etc. St. Joe's should be playing the likes of IMG Academy, Don Bosco Prep, etc. Why are you continuing to fight this? You are the only person who thinks this is just a bunch of people from the Pittsburgh area complaining that a Philly school is winning the PIAA title.

Most people don't even care about that.
        Last edited by IUP24; 12-18-2023, 01:10 PM.

Comment

How many of them were won before the collapse of steel that sent those towns down the drain?
          Buddy... I'm 30 years old and I would venture to guess that Clairton, Aliquippa, and Jeannette won half of those championships in my lifetime. You're absolutely grasping at straws here to salvage an argument that you are basically having with yourself. TJ is a very nice middle-class suburb in the South Hills, but again, they didn't become a dominant football power until about 2000. Most of those titles are very, very recent. Upper Saint Clair has always been a nice area with strong athletic programs.

The only town on that list who has been decimated by the fall of the steel industry AND has seen their football suffer is Monessen. They only get 20 kids to even come out to play football. But Monessen seems to still always have a very, very strong basketball team.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The evolution of this conversation is interesting...

People are outspoken about St. Joe's because of national recruiting. They have players on their roster from places like Texas and Florida. I don't even necessarily care about places like Bishop McDevitt or Central Catholic. Do those schools impact communities in surrounding areas? Yeah, they sure do. But you are continuing over and over and over again to simply not recognize that St. Joe's is pulling kids from all over the country to play football. You can talk about transfers to other schools, or the recruiting at other private schools, etc. St. Joe's should be playing the likes of IMG Academy, Don Bosco Prep, etc. Why are you continuing to fight this? You are the only person who thinks this is just a bunch of people from the Pittsburgh area complaining that a Philly school is winning the PIAA title.

Most people don't even care about that.
            Why does it matter where the students are from?

I looked at Prep's website and it does not show where each student is from....

They do play those schools and that is where they can be cut out from the PIAA playoffs.

They do not play enough teams in the PIAA to warrant a playoff invitation.

Comment

Buddy... I'm 30 years old and I would venture to guess that Clairton, Aliquippa, and Jeannette won half of those championships in my lifetime. You're absolutely grasping at straws here to salvage an argument that you are basically having with yourself. TJ is a very nice middle-class suburb in the South Hills, but again, they didn't become a dominant football power until about 2000. Most of those titles are very, very recent. Upper Saint Clair has always been a nice area with strong athletic programs.

The only town on that list who has been decimated by the fall of the steel industry AND has seen their football suffer is Monessen. They only get 20 kids to even come out to play football. But Monessen seems to still always have a very, very strong basketball team.
              The point was they weren't always poor towns. The JL mill was open in Aliquippa through 1984.

I went to a Catholic School that could not beat the local public school at all. Their head coach recruited every good kid in the CYO leagues to play at Norristown and not Kenrick. We had a 33 game losing streak...and we never ever beat Norristown in foosball. So I call bullschit why one school goes above and beyond and somehow every Catholic School should not be allowed to compete with the publics for state titles.

If the PIAA excluded St Joe's for playing all those out of PA schools and only 4 PIAA member teams...I would support that. There has to be requirements met for a playoff bid.

Comment

Why does it matter where the students are from?

I looked at Prep's website and it does not show where each student is from....

They do play those schools and that is where they can be cut out from the PIAA playoffs.

They do not play enough teams in the PIAA to warrant a playoff invitation.
                Because it’s the full context of the conversation relative to who they are playing. We aren’t talking about kids going to a school in an effort to get out of a rough area of Philly. We are talking about kids from all corners of the US going to a school for the sole purpose of playing football in the same way that occurs with IMG Academy. If you can’t see the difference in that compared to Erie Cathedral Prep, then I just don’t know what else anyone can tell you to objectively have a conversation on the topic.

And to be clear, if you read up and follow college football recruiting, you’ll see where plenty of kids for that school have come from. It’s not neighboring areas, or states, for that matter.

Comment

Because it’s the full context of the conversation relative to who they are playing. We aren’t talking about kids going to a school in an effort to get out of a rough area of Philly. We are talking about kids from all corners of the US going to a school for the sole purpose of playing football in the same way that occurs with IMG Academy. If you can’t see the difference in that compared to Erie Cathedral Prep, then I just don’t know what else anyone can tell you to objectively have a conversation on the topic.

And to be clear, if you read up and follow college football recruiting, you’ll see where plenty of kids for that school have come from. It’s not neighboring areas, or states, for that matter.
                  I’m trying to find a roster that shows their home towns. Yes they have kids from Camden County NJ but that’s closer to St Joes than most towns in the PA suburbs.

Where are you finding the information? The two players in the Eagles who played for Prep are from
                  Philadelphia.

Comment

Several. In Aliquippa and Clairton, high school football is about all they've got going for them. Everyone else is still struggling. Thomas Jefferson is more suburban and middle class so they're alright.

Upper St. Clair had quite a run in the 80s and 90s, but they're the South Hills suburbs version of North Allegheny: huge, upper middle class, and coincidentally also straddles US 19.

Comment

Several. In Aliquippa and Clairton, high school football is about all they've got going for them. Everyone else is still struggling. Thomas Jefferson is more suburban and middle class so they're alright.

Upper St. Clair had quite a run in the 80s and 90s, but they're the South Hills suburbs version of North Allegheny: huge, upper middle class, and coincidentally also straddles US 19.
                      All The right Moves really captures the essence of Yinzer football…

Comment

• Another question I have about all the far out of state players for St Joes is where are living while at school? It’s not a boarding school.

Comment

I have to admit that I am not knowledgeable on this topic; however, I agree with Nation when he asks "What does it matter where the players are from?" Also, I have known a lot of people who graduated from SJP over the years. I don't think kids are going to SJP just for football in the way they go to IMG Academy. Two different situations. I think football is obviously their calling card but they go there for the full package.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I have to admit that I am not knowledgeable on this topic; however, I agree with Nation when he asks "What does it matter where the players are from?" Also, I have known a lot of people who graduated from SJP over the years. I don't think kids are going to SJP just for football in the way they go to IMG Academy. Two different situations. I think football is obviously their calling card but they go there for the full package.
                            It is an academically prestigious school.

It’s not a clap for credit place like IMG.

Comment

All The right Moves really captures the essence of Yinzer football…
                              If you think life is still like that, you'd be surprised. Besides, with today's news, AmPipe would have been sold. So maybe Gung Ho meets All the Right Moves plus grandpa's Deer Hunter baggage.

Comment

If you think life is still like that, you'd be surprised. Besides, with today's news, AmPipe would have been sold. So maybe Gung Ho meets All the Right Moves plus grandpa's Deer Hunter baggage.
                                Coach Vern Nickerson would have grabbed the IUP job and brought Tom Cruise with him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X