Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post

More power to him. I saw him in 2019 some and thought he showed potential. HS stats mean absolutely nothing. I wish him the best. But talking about full psac rides and being the guy at IUP seems a little far off considering. Like I said maybe I'll be wrong and he will be taking IUP to the playoffs next year. I'll be happy to be wrong. I'm for the players moving to where they feel is best for their college careers. You only get one.
    Well, they (IUP) contacted him pretty quickly so they have some interest. We'll see if they offer.

There's lots of examples of guys moving from lesser programs and becoming stars with a better team. Bloom probably has a much better 2021 had they had him.

Comment

More power to him. I saw him in 2019 some and thought he showed potential. HS stats mean absolutely nothing. I wish him the best. But talking about full psac rides and being the guy at IUP seems a little far off considering. Like I said maybe I'll be wrong and he will be taking IUP to the playoffs next year. I'll be happy to be wrong. I'm for the players moving to where they feel is best for their college careers. You only get one.

Comment

Not sure where everyone got so high on Leiby. It's quite a projection from his stats at Bloom to just say it's because he was at Bloom. I cant see IUP putting the 2022 season on a guy that had OK stats in the psac to this point. If he would end up at IUP it would be because they need 2 for next year because no one currently there is ever going to be the guy. You take two and dont really care who ends up being the guy. Someone has to be the backup. They wont tell either QB that shows up that youre the backup until as late as possible.

Maybe I'm wrong. But we will see where his offers come from.
        I totally agree with you. I don't understand how people are putting him on a pedestal so high.

I agree that his HS stats don't mean anything. He was surrounded by the best players and that was a long time ago.

His only college season starting in 2019 was solid, not great.

I'm pretty sure IUP can and will go out and get transfer prospects better than Logan Leiby. I'm not so sure I wouldn't take Javon Davis over Leiby.

Comment

• Comment

• I assume they will add at least (1) WR transfer.

They have Duane, Ridley and Carter coming back. They also have Luke Hardy in the program (Redshirt, Covid Year, Medical Redshirt). He's a big kid at 6'3" or 6'4" and was considered a big recruiting get several years ago. He'll be the somewhat rare player entering his fourth year in Indiana but will be a football freshman in the Fall.

I wanted them to jump on Zinobile the day after he announced on Twitter 40 days ago. Now, they'd be (at least) the 5th dog at the bowl. But, with that type of competition, he's probably going to require a full ride (or, real close) to land him. Not sure they'll want to tie up a full equivalency on another WR when there are some other -- probably more pressing -- areas of need.

Comment

• It sounds like these transfer portal players are making D2 expensive. That's probably a fairly new dimension for coaches, trying to balance money for players between the influx of transfers and building for the future with true freshman recruits. Or maybe it's been like that for a while but the salient feature of the transfer portal just makes it easier for those outside the football programs to see and follow the transfer flows?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
                It sounds like these transfer portal players are making D2 expensive. That's probably a fairly new dimension for coaches, trying to balance money for players between the influx of transfers and building for the future with true freshman recruits. Or maybe it's been like that for a while but the salient feature of the transfer portal just makes it easier for those outside the football programs to see and follow the transfer flows?
                I think its similar to basketball - coaches don't mind as much because you're paying for a player who has already adjusted to playing at the college level, be that FBS or JUCO. So you pay a little more but you have a better idea of how well that player fits into your plan. Nothing worse than wasting money on a freshman who isn't ready to play, study, or live.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think its similar to basketball - coaches don't mind as much because you're paying for a player who has already adjusted to playing at the college level, be that FBS or JUCO. So you pay a little more but you have a better idea of how well that player fits into your plan. Nothing worse than wasting money on a freshman who isn't ready to play, study, or live.
                  Or, the all-too-familiar freshman who came to your school as a last resort even though his Uncle Dale told him he is SEC-caliber. Then he (and, Uncle Dale) pi$$ and moan for a year and then leave in December.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Or, the all-too-familiar freshman who came to your school as a last resort even though his Uncle Dale told him he is SEC-caliber. Then he (and, Uncle Dale) pi$$ and moan for a year and then leave in December.
                    But Florida invited me to walk on!

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I totally agree with you. I don't understand how people are putting him on a pedestal so high.

I agree that his HS stats don't mean anything. He was surrounded by the best players and that was a long time ago.

His only college season starting in 2019 was solid, not great.

I'm pretty sure IUP can and will go out and get transfer prospects better than Logan Leiby. I'm not so sure I wouldn't take Javon Davis over Leiby.

I think the key word there was his 'only' season starting. He did have good, not great, stats on a pretty average (at best) team.

His first year got wasted by making just (1) start. So, essentially 2019 was his 'freshman' season. The vast majority of freshman QBs, to be nice, struggle. He had some nice games that year -- including 3 TDs in a 42-35 loss to Shepherd.

His film looked good. But, I know, everybody's film looks good. I suspect IUP is taking a much deeper look at him. Size isn't great but it isn't terrible. He can run. Nice arm. Two years' eligibility. Intelligent. Leader. He's dealt with injuries. Is he injury-prone? Can he be here for the second semester and go through Spring ball with the team? That's a huge plus for a new QB.

I don't make such decisions, but I think he's certainly worth taking a real close look. From what I've heard, it sounds like IUP contacted him immediately. So, somebody in Memorial Field House is interested in him.

Comment

• I think another positive for Leiby is maturity. He's technically a grad transfer. He'll be in grad classes that could possibly be half adults. Less likely to be there to party.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                            I think another positive for Leiby is maturity. He's technically a grad transfer. He'll be in grad classes that could possibly be half adults. Less likely to be there to party.
                            Leiby will definitely be at Bloomsburg in the spring for his student teaching internship. He is a dual major student athlete, elementary education and specail education. He has been on the Deans list every semester, honors student, PSAC student athlete every year. He takes his education very serious and wants to get his masters degree and still play football. I really believe that he is looking for the right fit so he has an opportunity to play at his highest level and be a part of something special. He has a load of talent but unfortunately never had an opportunity to showcase that at Bloom due to unfortunate injuries. Freshman year they started him in week 6. Second quarter got tackled from behind while scrambling for a first down and had his ankle tore up. Beat out a senior qb his 2nd year to become the starter and had a nice solid first season as a starter. Following season canceled due to covid. This season finally was going to have a spread/RPO offense that fits his strengths. 2 inner squad scrimmages he looked sharp, and really was in command in the offense. First game at Stonehill got hit late on a designed run and was injured. They had 2 put 2 ribs back into place after the game. And by the way he played the rest of the 3rd quarter and the entire 4th injured. Played at a high level even though he was hurting. Started the following week only to get blind sided and drilled into the turf on the same side as his injury. Unfortunately that was season ending. This kid is solid, tough, smart, team player, grades first, respectful, and a great overall person, also one of the hardest workers. Ask any coach , professor, teacher, or anyone who knows him. Kid is the real deal on so many levels.
                            Last edited by Footballfanofall; 11-24-2021, 04:07 PM.

Comment

• If this is true, it seems odd that he would entertain offers from Cal and Slippery Rock. He already has FCS offers so why bother talking to the other two?

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

If this is true, it seems odd that he would entertain offers from Cal and Slippery Rock. He already has FCS offers so why bother talking to the other two?
                                100% agree with you.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X