Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe freaking out. Bald dude is second worst ref in PSAC.

Game after game. Year after year.

Comment

• IUP 83
      Edinboro 71

Final

Not pretty, but a win is a win. IUP has to get some guys back here pretty quickly. Polce and Demo would make a world of difference.

Armoni went for 32 and won this game. Edinboro fought hard. You saw the flashes of Dom Keyes. Makes me wonder what could have been.

Hawks' next three are in the KCAC.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Joe freaking out. Bald dude is second worst ref in PSAC.

Game after game. Year after year.
          Overall I prefer the game be called (no called) the way this one was. When they let them play the game just flows better. It is infuriating though when they let them play all night and then call a touch foul down the stretch. I think all anyone wants is consistency.

Comment

• Tomorrow should be interesting. It's been a long time since IUP was home with fans. Add to it, for this year, anyway, this is a rare Saturday night home game.

I'd still love to know why they played most of those at 3pm this year. IUP has always played Saturday night. It just has a different vibe and atmosphere.

The UPJ game next Saturday is in the afternoon.

Of course, if people don't mask up tomorrow we may be watching that game (and the PSAC Tournament) online ... so long as IUP is involved, anyway.

SH is another strange team. They either play really well (just lost to Cal 70-58) or they just get curb-stomped (like IUP's visit to Greensburg). I get that was kind of a hangover game for Cal but holding them to 70 is noteworthy. They've actually lost a lot of close games to the better teams this year. They've also lost to most of the basement. Odd group.

In the first game IUP started it off, I think, 18-0. SH had a big crowd and the air just went out if the crowd and the Griffins. It was empty at halftime. I think Joe was up 35-ish at the break.

I suspect we'll see a better showing from SH tomorrow.

Also a massive game for the ladies tomorrow. But, trying to figure that team out will keep you up all night.

Comment

Tomorrow should be interesting. It's been a long time since IUP was home with fans. Add to it, for this year, anyway, this is a rare Saturday night home game.

I'd still love to know why they played most of those at 3pm this year. IUP has always played Saturday night. It just has a different vibe and atmosphere.

The UPJ game next Saturday is in the afternoon.

Of course, if people don't mask up tomorrow we may be watching that game (and the PSAC Tournament) online ... so long as IUP is involved, anyway.

SH is another strange team. They either play really well (just lost to Cal 70-58) or they just get curb-stomped (like IUP's visit to Greensburg). I get that was kind of a hangover game for Cal but holding them to 70 is noteworthy. They've actually lost a lot of close games to the better teams this year. They've also lost to most of the basement. Odd group.

In the first game IUP started it off, I think, 18-0. SH had a big crowd and the air just went out if the crowd and the Griffins. It was empty at halftime. I think Joe was up 35-ish at the break.

I suspect we'll see a better showing from SH tomorrow.

Also a massive game for the ladies tomorrow. But, trying to figure that team out will keep you up all night.
              Have you figured out any reason as to why they switched to 3PM games this year? That's so odd.

Comment

IUP tweeted out today Ethan Porterfield is leading the NCAA (all divisions) in 3PT percentage at 50.4 percent (60-119)

That's a nice luxury out of your 6'9" center.
                I think we've been spoiled with guys at that C/F position. It's been an embarrassment of riches. I missed Webb, but I saw Marcel Souberbielle in college and he was just a tremendous all around player. Jeremy Jeffers was a tremendous player for the 2 years he was with Joe as well. Obviously Cobo Diaz may be a top 5 player in school history. Ethan I think is overlooked in the grand scheme of things because he just happened to follow Cobo. But man, he is just tremendous. The only real "miss" Joe had at that position was Blake Danielak. And he wasn't that bad of a player. The two teams he was on were kind of those tweener/build up teams before their next run. I don't think he had the ability to take over in the manner that those other guys did, but I'm not sure he had the talent on the floor with him either.

If you were to look at Cobo, Marcel, Jeffers, and Porterfield, I'd be curious how everyone would rank them after Diaz.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I think we've been spoiled with guys at that C/F position. It's been an embarrassment of riches. I missed Webb, but I saw Marcel Souberbielle in college and he was just a tremendous all around player. Jeremy Jeffers was a tremendous player for the 2 years he was with Joe as well. Obviously Cobo Diaz may be a top 5 player in school history. Ethan I think is overlooked in the grand scheme of things because he just happened to follow Cobo. But man, he is just tremendous. The only real "miss" Joe had at that position was Blake Danielak. And he wasn't that bad of a player. The two teams he was on were kind of those tweener/build up teams before their next run. I don't think he had the ability to take over in the manner that those other guys did, but I'm not sure he had the talent on the floor with him either.

If you were to look at Cobo, Marcel, Jeffers, and Porterfield, I'd be curious how everyone would rank them after Diaz.

Comment

• Comment

• Kind of wild that 10 years ago, IUP was playing a grind-it-out style scoring 50 points with Josh Weigand playing center, and now it's Ethan playing the 5 leading the NCAA in 3-point percentage.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                        Kind of wild that 10 years ago, IUP was playing a grind-it-out style scoring 50 points with Josh Weigand playing center, and now it's Ethan playing the 5 leading the NCAA in 3-point percentage.

Comment

• Previous post mentioned going back 10 years. Imagine going back 20 years to the Gary Edwards' era.

Joe has a lot of 'modern' size -- today's bigs typically are the tall/skinny type. Edwards had some dudes who made Micah Till look small.

I still think the year he won the Regional with 6 healthy players is one of the great stories in program history. It wasn't that he elected to play 6 guys. He only had 6 guys by that point. Imagine coming out for warm-ups with 6 guys. Granted, they had an incredible 6 dudes.

Obviously because of the ending here, his era isn't brought up much. But, some of Edwards' best teams could have hung right with Joe's best teams.

Comment

• Perhaps recently, but Ship had a lot of strange results before they started going to three a week, and they actually didn't have a lot of games postponed this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Overall I prefer the game be called (no called) the way this one was. When they let them play the game just flows better. It is infuriating though when they let them play all night and then call a touch foul down the stretch. I think all anyone wants is consistency.
                              I grew up on MIdwest basketball and am of the let 'em play school as well, but they get a little ridiculous about it at times. I think they called about 5-6 fouls the whole first half in the West Chester at Ship game, and predictably the game started getting out of hand in the second half so they started trying to get back control and called about 20 fouls. West Chester coach (Blair) got a technical in that one and gave the ref the evil eye after that to the extent that I probably would have tossed him if I'd been officiating. I knew the game at West Chester the next week would be a war, and by some accounts it was.

We do see some uneven and at times downright bad officiating, but today's game with its bigger and faster players, three-point shot, clocks, etc. is not easy to call. And with today's scorched-earth society and the abuse directed toward officials, it's probably a more thankless job than ever. It's getting hard to find officials in many sports, and whatever we think of some of the crews they're a necessary evil if we want to have athletic contests. The word in my area's Mid-Penn Conference is that they might not be able to play all their football games on Friday nights because they are short of officials. A local TV station said they currently only have about 12 football crews for a 36-team conference.

Comment

Previous post mentioned going back 10 years. Imagine going back 20 years to the Gary Edwards' era.

Joe has a lot of 'modern' size -- today's bigs typically are the tall/skinny type. Edwards had some dudes who made Micah Till look small.

I still think the year he won the Regional with 6 healthy players is one of the great stories in program history. It wasn't that he elected to play 6 guys. He only had 6 guys by that point. Imagine coming out for warm-ups with 6 guys. Granted, they had an incredible 6 dudes.

Obviously because of the ending here, his era isn't brought up much. But, some of Edwards' best teams could have hung right with Joe's best teams.
                                The year Gary had Dennis Mims, wow, that team were all monsters! Mims was in a different world than the rest of the PSAC!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X