Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Yes, their defense wasn't as good the second half but the offense also went into chuck mode/run and gun. The defense will break down more often when the offense does that. Also, Demo is a defensive liability. As good as he was on offense yesterday, he was just the opposite on D.
    Last night was the perfect opportunity to try some things. For the first time in a very long time, IUP is pretty healthy right now. It seemed Joe was trying to get everybody some minutes last night -- and in some interesting lineup combinations. Polce came back. Demo and Radford are back. KJ still got some meaningful minutes. Dillard went back to the 6th man.

Everybody got some run except Diop, that is. Ousmane sat for 39 minutes. He comes in and has maybe the block of the year. How or why he's not getting at least 7-8 mpg is beyond me. I don't get it.

But, ... the easy games are done. I do not expect to see the constant subbing on Saturday. Joe typically likes to keep that rotation pretty small in big games.

It was good for Demo to get 17 minutes last night. He should be slowly getting his legs and endurance back. But, yes, I agree as good as he was on offense last night, the defense wasn't there. So, his role is going to be interesting moving forward. Joe could even start doing some offense/defense subbing with him like we've seen in the past.

Wonder how much longer teams are going to let Tomiwa shoot wide-open, mid-range jump shots? It makes me wonder if some of the teams actually watch film.

Tomiwa didn't play much in the first UPJ game. That was before Tommy went out. He'll obviously be a huge defensive boost. He'll have to be ... Kromka lit them up the first time.

I think they are better prepared for Kromka now that Tomiwa is entrenched in the starting lineup. He'll still get his points, but IUP will be better equipped to at least make it harder. The key will be who gets Mulbah. He also had a huge game against IUP.

Comment

• * I do believe now that Joe will run with 8 guys. (Foster, Morris, Polce, Ethan, Tomiwa, Demo, Diller and Rhodes)

* Radford and Diop are on he outside looking in.

* Diop gets no time because he's just awful defensively. It showed at Gannon, watch the stretch of 3 fouls in less than a minute.

* As far as Demo offense for defense, who does he swap with? Ethan and Tomiwa are both better on both ends of the floor now. We can't say the 3 ball over Tomiwa b/c Demo hasn't hit any!

* Tomiwa will make Kronka's life hell on Saturday. He's much better suited for that match up than a weak knee Demo.

* I think Tomiwa will continue to get those looks because teams are more worried about Armoni, Ethan and David. That mid range jumper isn't an easy shot but Tomiwa has it nailed down.

* Who does Ethan guard Saturday? (Landis?) The UPJ smaller line up makes match up issues defensively for IUP.

* Who guards Mulbah? That kid is explosive with the ball.

* Not one senior on UPJ blows my mind. Seems like those guys have been there a decade.

Comment

• Hawk Talk is airing live tonight from the Hilton.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Hawk Talk is airing live tonight from the Hilton.

Comment

• The CDC announced today nearly 70% of Americans can stop wearing masks indoors.

IUP announced today body size condoms will be required for entrance tomorrow.

Mercyhurst lifted its mask requirement.

Comment

The CDC announced today nearly 70% of Americans can stop wearing masks indoors.

IUP announced today body size condoms will be required for entrance tomorrow.

Mercyhurst lifted its mask requirement.

Comment

• I didn't want to bring it up, but, yes, the Clarion game had a dramatic decline in masks.

I'd guess the first game (Seton Hill) was 85-90% compliance. Clarion, at best, was 60%.

Today, my guess, will back to 20% max. With yesterday's announcement it could be worse.

Comment

• Comment

I didn't want to bring it up, but, yes, the Clarion game had a dramatic decline in masks.

I'd guess the first game (Seton Hill) was 85-90% compliance. Clarion, at best, was 60%.

Today, my guess, will back to 20% max. With yesterday's announcement it could be worse.
                    Not good!

Comment

• It's incredible that this squad only has one senior on it. That's remarkable. I'm not sure that's been said enough. This has been, within reason, a weird season. You've had a lot of injuries. You had the one major injury. You've had a revolving door of starting lineups. You had Tommy's "Operation Shutdown." It makes you wonder what this team looks like if they did not lose Shawndale or have the other injuries.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

It's incredible that this squad only has one senior on it. That's remarkable. I'm not sure that's been said enough. This has been, within reason, a weird season. You've had a lot of injuries. You had the one major injury. You've had a revolving door of starting lineups. You had Tommy's "Operation Shutdown." It makes you wonder what this team looks like if they did not lose Shawndale or have the other injuries.
                        The biggest change post-Shawndale was the ability of the SRP (Shawndale Replacement Project) to score.

The first, I'd say, 7-8 games after the injury they mostly looked like deer in the headlights with the ball in their hand. Often times, Joe was playing 4 on 5 at that end.

In late January, that started to change. Dillard started to go off. Polce started draining treys. It took KJ longer but he's playing much better.

And, the item that elevated the whole season, was Tomiwa's emergence. He gives them a post defender that they haven't had in years. Big. Fast. Strong. Attitude.

Don't forget Radford missed 11 games along with Demo. They made it through the gauntlet -- and the West was a gauntlet -- with a very short bench for a month stretch. Consider the West has 4 of the Top 6 in the latest regional ranking.

Comment

• Trivia Saturday

Winner gets absolutely nothing.

On Jan. 24, 2022, IUP was swept in Johnstown.

When was the last time the IUP men and women were swept in basketball?

Comment

• IUP 40
                            UPJ 21

Half

Comment

• Demo looked like Demo again. Awesome to see.

Comment

• Batt and Magestro didn't waive goodbye today like last game. Maybe their arms hurt.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X